caravan rego and insurance options

Submitted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 19:37
ThreadID: 102339 Views:2019 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
G, day all, can someone please advise on the best option for me.
I am buying a caravan from Queensland and will be travelling over in July to pick it up. The caravan rego will run out before I arrive. What's my options to legally tow it back to WA?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mike g2 - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 00:01

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 00:01
Hi Exmouth, insurance is straight forward- a few caravan insurers on market-can cover anywhere in Aust, just get a cover note. We used CIL.
Lisc wise, I assume you wish to rego/lisc for WA, I think you will find you can get temp plates from WA lisc center , take with you to Qld, this should suffice to get you home to a lisc centre in WA for a formal check. phone lisc centre to verify. could extend rego/lisc thru owner in Qld?
check your van has all the appropriate Aust standard certificates for gas, elect, etc..
consider doing a full inspection and roadworthiness on it before you sign off on the deal if 2nd hand.
even so, my NEW $100,000+ motorhome had several defects when new, or seen within 3 mths of purchase-including: the factory reverse sensors not even being connected, connection for solar panel not functioning and water level gauges faulty-misreading!
AnswerID: 511547

Reply By: KevKim37 - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 00:02

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 00:02
1. You can either have a Safety Certificate carried out if required for transfer of Rego and re-register in Qld, or
2. possibly apply for a permit from Qld Transport to transport van to WA in a designated time/route no diversions supposedly allowed (no good if you want to Holiday on the way back). The plates are removed and a Permit sticker applied to van but possibly need to obtain Third party Insurance cover.
3. also have to sign a "Stat Declaration" if no Safety Certificate required as "unreg-no plates attached" stating the van is in a Road Worthy Condition to be driven on the road.

Cheers Kev.
AnswerID: 511548

Reply By: Member - johntoyo - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 09:25

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 09:25
Exmouth, I am going to be in a similar position as you come August.

My builder has sent me Qld transport form F4408 ES. This declares where the van will be garaged, and who the owner is with their permanent address for licensing purposes (can be different). Fortunately I have a friend in Qld who will let me use their address, though the builder would have used their premises if needed.

When back in WA I take the plates in, and all the van paper work to have it reg here. I am told send the plates back I get a full pro-rata refund on the Qld lic. I have yet to contact the lic authorities here to verify.

I want to spend 2-3 weeks travelling back, and allowing 5 days drive over.
AnswerID: 511566

Follow Up By: toffytrailertrash - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 09:34

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 09:34
If you have a friend there simply register it to their address and put your mailing address down for paperwork. Tow home then you can either leave it registered in Qld and have your renewal sent direct to your mailing address or re reg in WA, send the plates back for a refund. Sometimes that can be the simplest and most effective way to do it.

FollowupID: 789829

Follow Up By: Member - johntoyo - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 17:27

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 17:27
Exmouth, if you want to contact me on my e-mail I will send you a copy of the Qld declaration form, and what the WA licencing dept have advised on re-lic of the van. You can get a transport permit in WA but it is only good for 48 hours and not valid in any other state.
FollowupID: 789882

Follow Up By: exmouth1 - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 19:45

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 19:45
Thank you to all that have replied, certainly gives us a couple of easy options.
Thanks again
FollowupID: 789900

Sponsored Links