Who'd be a salesman?

Submitted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 10:39
ThreadID: 102351 Views:2540 Replies:6 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
G'day Folks

We've had our camper for sale on this site, and several others, since January. The pre-loved market is, according to several folk who should know, flat. Through talking to dealers, and researching all similar campers on the market, I know we are in the bottom half of current asking prices.

We've only had three turn-up enquirers, all lovely folk, and for each of whom we erected and took down the camper. The first family decided they wanted something newer with an outside shower, the second family looked and then said they didn't really want an Outback , but an onroad Jayco camper, and the third said that they wanted something that they could get into straight away if it was raining when they stopped for the day.

I am learning patience, and even a grudging respect for caravan salesfolk who have to cope everyday with folk who haven't done much homework.

Maybe fresh flowers and the smell of freshly brewed coffee would help?

LOL
John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: toffytrailertrash - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 10:48

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 10:48
They are only tyre kickers with no knowledge base and learning from going around browsing.

Good luck with your sale and patience.

Merv
AnswerID: 511572

Reply By: pmacks - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 12:17

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 12:17
Hi John,

on a side note and not wishing to offend and from a salesman ( not vans ) may i respectfully suggest that your camper is to dear if you have not been able to sell it since January and you have only had 3 lookers? as i said not meaning to be rude or know anything about your camper just my thought.

Good luck with it anyway i am sure the right buyer is just around the corner

Peter
AnswerID: 511579

Follow Up By: Member - John G - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 17:06

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 17:06
G'day Peter

I understand what you are saying, and agree.

I've regularly dropped the price since first advertising. In April, prices across five websites for our year/model camper ranged from low $16ks - $20k. Our's is now priced below the average of those on the market and we are trying to slowly come down to what the market will look at. Our three "lookers" came in at the current price, so we are getting there.

Cheers
John
FollowupID: 789876

Reply By: Member - Gary R M (VIC) - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 16:15

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 16:15
Gooday John, I've had similar problems trying to sell my camper trailer, tried local papers and heaps of on-line sales options with little success.
I've now got it up for auction on e-bay with a nominated starting price and "Buy Now" price way below what I believe it to be worth but I guess the market thinks differently.
Good luck with your endeavours.
Regards, Gary M.
Gary M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 511591

Follow Up By: Member - John G - Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 08:26

Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 08:26
Thanks Gary

I'd be interested to know how you get on.

Cheers
John
FollowupID: 789940

Reply By: coonick - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 16:41

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 16:41
Doesn't matter what brand they are or how good they are set up.
The ones I have looked at second hand well basically you gotta be joking.
Waaaaay over priced when for a few dollars more I can buy new.
Used is used, just like cars many are waaaaaay over priced and the vendors must be kidding themselves if they think there is value.
People think they are worth more and try to squeeze every cent out of it .
In reality they are worth bugger all used.
You will be looking for that specific buyer which will never come.
Just like someone trying to sell a 10 year old diesel Patrol or LC. They really think a high km flogged out 4wd is worth that ????
Really why would I want to pay ridiculous prices for some one elses problem when new is only a few dollars more away. AND you get a better package....
AnswerID: 511595

Follow Up By: coonick - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 16:43

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 16:43
Just as I quickly found my old GU was not worth what I thought it was, so reluctantly I dropped the price and conceded it was easier to take the loss and be rid of it. That's the reality.
FollowupID: 789872

Follow Up By: Member - John G - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 17:21

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 17:21
G'day coonick

I'm more optimistic than you when looking to buy secondhand/used. There are folks who look after their gear, and have genuine reasons for selling, and there are folks who can't afford new. Our's is an 8-yo camper, a new version of the same will be around $13000 more - of course you get a better package, but really there's no point comparing them is there?

We have been dropping the price at regular intervals, and we will get there eventually, perhaps not as quickly as you with your GU.

Cheers
John

FollowupID: 789880

Reply By: AdrianLR (VIC) - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 17:36

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 17:36
Looks like a very nice unit. Perhaps the customer base in the ACT is too small and not into that sort of camping?

When I drive past some of the caravan dealers it staggers me how they can afford to carry so much stock. In some of the bigger ones it must add up to millions sitting in the yard. Given how fickle the market is with respect to varieties/configuration/brand (as you've experienced), I wonder what the turnover's like and how much margin there is.

Your experience also underlines why it's so important to sell before buying if you can't afford paying cash.

Good luck

Adrian
AnswerID: 511604

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 17:48

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 17:48
Adrian,

I agree re the sell before you buy statement.
We too are trying to sell the Trak Shak to upgrade and to date have missed out on getting the replacement we wanted as it has sold prior to the Trak Shak selling :(

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 789885

Follow Up By: AdrianLR (VIC) - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 18:11

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 18:11
Hi Kev

I did think of you - we're also contemplating going from a Trak Shak to a (probably) hybrid. Certainly can't afford to have both (neither financially nor space-wise)

Regards

Adrian
FollowupID: 789890

Reply By: aussiedingo (River Rina) - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 18:27

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 18:27
G'day John,
as a guide for what it its current value is place an ad on ebay with your reserve - but start at 99c, you will find you will attract a great following of bidders expecting a baaaargain! You will find at the end of the auction (10 days, only list after dinner Thursday night)) you will know what it is worth - you don't have to sell if you don't want to but you will know what it is worth on the open market, regards, dingo
"the only thing constant in my life is change"

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 511608

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 06:50

Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 06:50
i'll second that, I've noticed exactly that with lots of items on ebay, if you put a high starting price (usually the minimum you would sell it for) then items get no bids, start really low with a hidden reserve that you are willing to let it go for will usually result in lots of interest and a realistic idea of what it is worth at the end of the auction.
FollowupID: 789934

Follow Up By: landseka - Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 10:49

Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 10:49
I always understood you could not have a "hidden reserve".

I thought there was really no way out of selling if the hoped for price wasn't realised.

I shall have to look closer at the rules.

Cheers Neil
FollowupID: 789944

Sponsored Links