Which Way - Jobs

Submitted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 16:37
ThreadID: 102373 Views:2023 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everyone,
Need some pointers.
Heading around this country of ours within the next 12 months plans are in progress.
Our tug is a 80 series Landcruiser towing a Jayco Sterling Outback Tandem.
Renting house there is no time schedule for return.
This trip will be a work and travel starting from Deniliquin NSW (near Echuca Vic) at this stage leaving in May-June.
Question is: Which direction to head first? We are thinking north.
The best way to find jobs in advance or would it be advisable to ask when you arrive.
I am a qualified mechanic also with handyman and gardening experience age 53.
My wife has worked with a financial adviser firm, and is currently employed with an accounting firm age 39.

Any input would be of great value (as we are a bit confused) to allow us to continue our planning. We need to have it planed properly, (once in a life time if you know what I mean).

Thanks
Allan & Ang
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Idler Chris - Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 16:56

Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 16:56
Go north its warmer. Worry about work when you get there. Country people like to see you before they employ anyone. With your skill set, work will not be a problem.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 511669

Follow Up By: Member - Allan H (NSW) - Friday, May 24, 2013 at 04:17

Friday, May 24, 2013 at 04:17
Thanks for your input Idler Chris was a little concerned about the age thing with me getting jobs.
Thanks again.
FollowupID: 789995

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Friday, May 24, 2013 at 09:47

Friday, May 24, 2013 at 09:47
The age thing - you gotta be joking, you are in prime of life if you ask me. I am in my late 60's and get job offers unsolicited. Cattle stations are just about a walk up start. The requirements are a variety of life experiences, the ability to work alone, a person who uses their brains, and above all COMMONSENSE. You sound like you fit the bill. Good luck but I doubt you will need it.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 790001

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 17:05

Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 17:05
Hi Allan and Ang,

Definitely head north at that time of year but you could either go due north into Qld or go west into WA and then north. You dont want to get too far north too soon though as some tourist places and also roads could still be closed early in the tourist season. A fair bit will depend on the weather, if it has been a very wet summer or a late wet things roads will be slower to open.

Before you get too hung up on which way to go I suggest you gather a bit more info to enable you to work out where you want to go and what you want to see. When you have done that it should be easier to work out which way. Get Googling on regions like Central Australia, Kimberley, Pilbara, Gulf country, Coral Coast, SW WA etc to whet your appetite. Use those areas as search terms for this site too as there are lots of blogs to give you an idea of what is out there waiting for you.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 511671

Follow Up By: Member - Allan H (NSW) - Friday, May 24, 2013 at 04:19

Friday, May 24, 2013 at 04:19
Thanks J and V,
Your advice is received, now to start searching.
FollowupID: 789996

Reply By: Bob W5 - Friday, May 24, 2013 at 08:30

Friday, May 24, 2013 at 08:30
Hi Allan. We are doing the same and leaving in 3 weeks from Natimuk. We've been doing plenty of research and are heading to WA. We've been googling Broome jobs for example and currently there are over 130 jobs available in Broome. After googling places for work all over the country, and seeing how much work is out there we now feel comfortable about heading off and picking up work I've just turned 50 and my partner is 37. I'm a Butcher and my partner has done admin work. I really can't wait to hit the road..! Happy travels.
AnswerID: 511714

Reply By: quincy - Saturday, May 25, 2013 at 06:40

Saturday, May 25, 2013 at 06:40
Allan, when did you want to start. Live in Katherine NT. i currently have 20 jobs that i cant fill. and thats everywhere in the NT. Just drive finding a jobs is the easy bit. tah quincy
AnswerID: 511793

Follow Up By: Member - Allan H (NSW) - Saturday, May 25, 2013 at 07:55

Saturday, May 25, 2013 at 07:55
Hi Quincy,
Thanks for your input, gives me great confidence that there are plenty of jobs out there.
If I could I would travel there today would take 1 week to arrive.
What positions do you have available?

Cheers
Allan and Andrea
FollowupID: 790082

Follow Up By: quincy - Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 11:05

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 11:05
Allan , sorry for getting back to late. Havent had a day off coz theres no one wants to work up here. Im in retail. quincy
FollowupID: 790281

Sponsored Links