EOTrackMe v Spot Connect

I am travelling into semi-remote areas of NT and Queensland in August this year so am interested in being able to be 'tracked'.
I am keen to know the differences between the EOTrackMe service offered to members here - and the Spot Connect service that is available.

I have an iPad and an iPhone. Am I correct in that if I used the EOTrackMe service - I could simply use my GPS enabled iPad or iPhone to be tracked? Are there any other costs?

The Spot Connect option would require me to purchase a Spot device and then pay around $250.00 for an annual subscription to be able to send an SMS message and some email - including an SOS option.

Are these the basic differences. Would love to hear from people who have used either [or both].

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Friday, May 24, 2013 at 08:12

Friday, May 24, 2013 at 08:12
The big difference is that with a phone you would need a mobile phone service, which you won't have in the remoter areas. Spot uses a satellite phone system so will work almost every where. It also has the advantage of an emergency locator system similar to an EPIRB.
AnswerID: 511713

Follow Up By: Member - Terry W4 - Friday, May 24, 2013 at 10:24

Friday, May 24, 2013 at 10:24
My understanding is that the Ipad and Iphone also uses the GPS staelitte system and do not need a phone service.
FollowupID: 790005

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Friday, May 24, 2013 at 12:31

Friday, May 24, 2013 at 12:31
You are correct on the GPS side of things, but to transmit your location to EOtrackMe requires a means of doing that ie a mobile phone service for smart phones or in the case of Spot it transmits to a satellite phone system.
FollowupID: 790013

Reply By: Idler Chris - Friday, May 24, 2013 at 10:39

Friday, May 24, 2013 at 10:39
What value do you place on your life? No matter where you travel in Australia (or anywhere else) you should be able to call for help if required. Beyond mobile phone coverage you need things like satellite phones, HF radio's, PLB's (same as an EPIRB only designed for land use), SPOT devices etc. A SPOT device well suits this purpose, just remember that if you leave your vehicle you should carry it with you.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 511741

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, May 24, 2013 at 11:59

Friday, May 24, 2013 at 11:59
Garytee,

It is actually not a matter of EOTrackMe V Spot as they work together. Spot devices are an EOTrackMe client just like smart-phones and other tracking devices. So you cannot say vs in this case. You can use either of these clients with the EOTrackMe system, of the 505 devices currently registered in EOTrackMe the spot devices make up around 40% of the devices in the system.

The difference is which client type you are happy to use. The smart-phones will not be able to track you while you are out of service but will record the data for upload when you return to service. The satellite clients will keep recording and sending data all the time and are not effected by the mobile coverage.

You are correct that with any Spot device you will need a subscription - it is this subscription that also allows you to interface the Spot with the EOTrackMe service. The EOTrackMe system has a number of features for the tracking output that Spot does not have and so is one of the reasons to interface your spot system with the EOTrackMe service.

With a smart-phone/tablet/laptop you will need a client program as per the details on the EOTrackMe instructions page. Clients programs range in price from $2.99 - $5.

I have about 10 devices registered and also a number of new client products that will be supported on the system in due course. I hope this helps answer your questions, if you have any more questions I would be happy to answer.

David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 511744

Sponsored Links