if you fish you will see why I am angry.

Submitted: Friday, May 24, 2013 at 09:10
ThreadID: 102387 Views:3364 Replies:4 FollowUps:22
This Thread has been Archived
Netters slay trophy bream

To all of you who enjoy a spot of recreational fishing.

www.fishingworld.com.au

IN disturbing news, Fisho has heard reports that commercial haul netters have recently removed "boxes and boxes" of black bream from NSW South Coast estuary

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Patrol22 - Friday, May 24, 2013 at 10:23

Friday, May 24, 2013 at 10:23
I live on the South Coast of NSW (Ulladulla) and thankfully a full ban has been placed on netting the estuary lakes near here (Conjola and Burrill). The netters had their licences bought back with the proceeds of our fishing licences some years back now and I can only hope that this continues in these very important fisheries breeding grounds. The story referred to by Sweetwill can be found HERE.
AnswerID: 511733

Follow Up By: sweetwill - Friday, May 24, 2013 at 10:47

Friday, May 24, 2013 at 10:47
thanks patrol 22 for making it easier to find, I'm a bit of a Neanderthal when it comes to computers cheers Bill.
FollowupID: 790007

Follow Up By: wato35 - Friday, May 24, 2013 at 11:33

Friday, May 24, 2013 at 11:33
The same thing happened in the Gippsland Lakes, where netters killed the fishing for us. The Govt brought out licences with our fishing licence fees. Sounds good, but most of those licences were from retired fisho's who were not using them. So the licences that were not brought out still work the lakes. No fish for tea again tonight.
FollowupID: 790011

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Friday, May 24, 2013 at 14:14

Friday, May 24, 2013 at 14:14
It sickens me to hear these storys, the authorities continue to place greater restrictions on recreational anglers (who are also bringing tourist trade money into these regional areas) under the banner of conservation when it is the commercial guys who are doing all the damage

The same thing is happening down at Sussex Inlet on Bherwerre beach. It is part of the Jervis Bay Marine park and has all sorts of restrictions on it but it still gets regularly netted by commercial fisherman that skull drag a net between a boat behind the breakers and a 4WD running along the beach. I have seen their nets that full that they have had to cut them to empty out their catch, as you can imagine recreational fishing there is very average with this style of environmental damage going on.
This is a National Park and a Marine Park and yet somehow this is being carried out legally........go figure!
AnswerID: 511750

Follow Up By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Friday, May 24, 2013 at 15:49

Friday, May 24, 2013 at 15:49
you only have to visit Sydney fish market - you're not telling me at least half that stuff doesn't get chucked in the bin because they catch more than they sell
FollowupID: 790023

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Friday, May 24, 2013 at 22:40

Friday, May 24, 2013 at 22:40
what a load of rubbish Steve, why not stick to the facts or something near them instead of making up crap?
Just cause there is "lots of fish", half of it must get thrown away?
FollowupID: 790069

Follow Up By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Saturday, May 25, 2013 at 09:13

Saturday, May 25, 2013 at 09:13
ok, I might well be wrong but instead of getting angry, just put us right. You sound like you have a vested interest and I would think more knowledge.

I have heard of refrigeration but there is a colossal amount of fish on display there and the place is often empty. so where does it all go? You can only keep fish fresh for so long and I would be genuinely interested to know how they go about it.

FollowupID: 790087

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Saturday, May 25, 2013 at 09:41

Saturday, May 25, 2013 at 09:41
I have never been to the sydney markets but did sell fish thru there on many occasions. Never had any "disposed" of unlike when sending to Tsukiji markets where its pretty sus-still gets used but you get charged for removal!
You do maybe need to look closer-why would any fisherman send his fisht there if half got dumped?
What time of day are you there?
FollowupID: 790090

Follow Up By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Saturday, May 25, 2013 at 10:55

Saturday, May 25, 2013 at 10:55
How would you know what gets dumped? Genuine question. I am actually interested in how it works because when I see the amount of fish on display there and hardly a customer in sight, it just makes me wonder, that's all. Refrigeration and keeping it on ice must have it's limits.

This might sound odd but they might sell it because they get paid for it.

You still haven't answered the question but just keep denying it and getting yourself worked up. I made a comment based on what a retired fisherman told me in my first post but if you know otherwise let us know. For what it's worth he also said stocks were rock bottom because of over fishing. He was talking as a trawlerman who had fished off NZ and Australia and it was open slather for overseas boats as well. I don't pretend to know much on the subject but you're more than welcome to enlighten me. If you can only keep denying it and asking the time of day I'll leave it there.
FollowupID: 790092

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Saturday, May 25, 2013 at 11:15

Saturday, May 25, 2013 at 11:15
how would you know if it gets dumped? Cos you wouldnt get paid for it Steve, and would receive a bill for its removal.
A trawler who has a limited amount of quota, why would they have any interest in putting fish there of which "half gets dumped"? He cant catch it again later.

"You still haven't answered the question but just keep denying it"-what question are you referring to?
FollowupID: 790093

Follow Up By: Bruce-n-Bundi - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 06:33

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 06:33
Seams a pretty simple question to me.

Just what does happen to all the fish which is not sold at the Fish Markets?

As Steve says it must somehow have a "Use By" date, Is to taken by a processor and frozen or just discarded?
FollowupID: 790196

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 09:24

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 09:24
ok Bruce, I might be a little slow but I still cant see where Steve asked that in his first statement.
He made a statement "you're not telling me at least half that stuff doesn't get chucked in the bin"
But-for sure some would be disposed of, at the tip, fishmeal. Generally though when that time gets close its sold off cheap to your local fish and chip guy who knows thats still better than Basa out of a polluted Vietnamese sewer pond.
Never happened to anything I sold there though the prices sometimes are well below whats worthwhile.
FollowupID: 790203

Follow Up By: garrycol - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 10:52

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 10:52
Steve made the accusation that the stuff gets dumped - surely it is up to him to justify the statement not others.

Steve said "you're not telling me at least half that stuff doesn't get chucked in the bin because they catch more than they sell" - what is the basis of that statement.

Garry
FollowupID: 790212

Follow Up By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 11:44

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 11:44
"accusation"? Jeez, getting a bit carried away here. I haven't accused anyone of murder. If you saw the place on the day I last saw it, you might understand why the thought occurred to me.

Fisho has largely answered my question in his last post.

It emerges he is in the industry and probably under threat from overseas competition and probably restrictions. I don't really know much about that either but understand his position better now.

Anyway, good luck fisho.

FollowupID: 790222

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 20:53

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 20:53
Thanks mate but im long out of that game. Nowadays, whenever you fuel up your car, your contributing to my tidy salary!

Just hate seeing these beatups whether against fishing, 4wd etc.
FollowupID: 790256

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 20:55

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 20:55
Thanks mate but im long out of that game. Nowadays, whenever you fuel up your car, your contributing to my tidy salary!

Just hate seeing these beatups whether against fishing, 4wd etc.
FollowupID: 790257

Reply By: fisho64 - Friday, May 24, 2013 at 22:50

Friday, May 24, 2013 at 22:50
I certainly wouldnt discount that this may have occurred, but when a story only has "it has been reported", " a source told us", a "well-known angling commentator said", and NOT A SINGLE named source etc then I am wary of how much is untrue, rumour or exaggerated.
This sounds a lot like those Current Affair beat ups? Why wont anyone put their name to a report?
AnswerID: 511789

Follow Up By: Nutta - Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 20:44

Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 20:44
Sounds to me like youre covering your own industry if thats what you maybe do, fisho64.

I lost faith in commercial fishers when one was handing out bags of juvenile 60mm-100mm long tailor a few years ago, i thought how the hell can there be any left to breed in the future if thats the way they do things.

Why dont you put something up to show us the above story is not true rather than ask where the proof that it is, same thing, show us its not happening.
FollowupID: 790173

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 00:09

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 00:09
Nutta read what I wrote. I said I wouldnt discount that it didnt occur. But how would anyone prove it if NOBODY would put their name to the reports including (especially) a "well-known angling commentator"?

Its no different to a 4wd'er defending their right to go bush-how would you prove that an un-named person/vehicle didnt do something stupid at an un-named time and reported by an un-named source?
FollowupID: 790192

Follow Up By: Gnomey - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 06:23

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 06:23
Actually Fisho, if you read through the whole piece and comments linked to it is obvious that multiple sources, including named local anglers confirm the story of multiple boats netting Coila day after day.

It's not just the estuaries that are being pillaged either. I've just come back from 5 weeks on the NSW coast and concentrating on beach fishing. There were good and bad news stories from the trip. Good news, the pippies are back. Bad news, the beach from Crescent Head to Hat Head appears to have been stripped. The beach structure was eyewateringly sweet. The pippies were there in greater numbers than I've seen in 30 years. Suspiciously large numbers of them in fact.

Fished numerous holes repeatedly on the same tides that used to be productive and not even a bite from a dart. Where did the fish go? Did recreational fishing do some of the over harvest damage? Unquestionably. But the clean sweep sure looked like the results of netting to me.

Cheers
Mark
FollowupID: 790195

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 07:20

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 07:20
Gnomey that is the same scenario that we have at Sussex Inlet, pristine conditions and no fish, we have witnessed the commercial netting on several occasions
We recently had the bag limits for recreational fisherman reduced in NSW which is a joke
FollowupID: 790197

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 09:33

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 09:33
Ive read and reread it and the ONLY name I can see is the Fisheries Minister?
You might be referring to the comments section where anonymous people add comments but after reading about 20 or 30 the only "named" people there were defending it.

Fotr the simpletons out there I have said that I am not saying it didnt/couldnt happen. Just that to me its not a credible story if noone wants to be named in it. Why? well, you try and work it out.
FollowupID: 790205

Follow Up By: Nutta - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 09:46

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 09:46
Well if the netters are as aggressive as some of the towies around why would you want to be named.

Why should people have to be named?!
FollowupID: 790206

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 10:13

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 10:13
Nutta, barely worth answering.
But if that was the case Id think the "author" of the story would have written that the source wished to remain anonymous as he feared for his life.
As I read it, the author did not speak to any of the sources directly, only 3rd hand. Which is worth jack s++t as any 3L Patrol owner will tell you.
FollowupID: 790208

Follow Up By: Gnomey - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 11:01

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 11:01
Fisho wrote:

"I've read and reread it and the ONLY name I can see is the Fisheries Minister? You might be referring to the comments section where anonymous people add comments but after reading about 20 or 30 the only "named" people there were defending it.

Fotr the simpletons out there I have said that I am not saying it didnt/couldnt happen. Just that to me its not a credible story if noone wants to be named in it. Why? well, you try and work it out."

From the linked comments:
Gary K wrote:
"The netting boats that rape Coila Lake are launched daily from the end of my street. I stand on my balcony and curse the three netters that have been working Coila over every single day for the last 12 months"

John S wrote:
"This lake is in my back yard, I have fished it and seen many super sized Bream caught and released. 99% of rec anglers know the value of these fish as a sports fish and as breeders! The story is true and very sad, the lake is small and I have seen up to 3 commercial boats at time haul netting the lake!"

I've redacted their full names and for obvious reasons.

Cheers
Mark
FollowupID: 790215

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Friday, May 24, 2013 at 23:13

Friday, May 24, 2013 at 23:13
If true this is just so wrong on so many fronts.

Bream are such a slow growing fish the 3 to 400mm specimens are pushing 25 to 40 years old!

Replacing them will be generations down the track.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 511790

Sponsored Links