Night Driving - Overtaking

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 15:13
ThreadID: 10240 Views:1618 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Obviously no one teaches learners how to drive in the bush anymore - Basic common sense - When someone comes up behind you leave your lights on high beam (unless someone is coming the other way) so the poor bugger can see what is in front of you before he/she has to pass. I reckon 10% do it these days, the rest don't know about it - I wonder how many accidents that causes.

When someone is coming at you and blinding you - look at the left hand side of the road. I know a younf fellow who wasn't taught that and killed his girlfriend when he hit a bridge while blinded.

Pity the bloody beaurocrats who pretend they know anything about road safetly don't advertsise that type of thing . RACV RAA and NRMA could also do a service by running a series of educational ads instead of playing politics all the time.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 15:47

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 15:47
Hmm, i remember when roads had edge lines as well, guess it costs too much. I too am continually frustrated with morons who refuse to dip when coming towards you or have such poor headlight alignment that i wonder how they can see where they are going, not to mention blinding you in the mirrors when following. The jack has a spottie mounted on the rear bumper for reversing in the scrub at night (best mod yet) as far as the law is concerned it is a work light / camping light. but if someone has the high beams on 10 meters behind me they soom get the message by a quick little flash. I'm sure that most don't do it deliberatly, like you said the poor buggers were never taught properly in the first place. The powers to be assume everyone drives on lit roads and streets, and as long as you can do a three point turn and pay the man you get a ticket to ride.. The gov't should be sponsoring drivers young and old to go to a defensive course at DECA etc. would save lots of lives and hassles. Moo... everyone knows what a Jackaroo looks like :-)
AnswerID: 45312

Follow Up By: Brian - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 20:22

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 20:22
Why not make it part of the school curriculum it is one of the biggest life skills there is these days!!!!!!

Brian (getting of soap box now)
FollowupID: 307425

Follow Up By: jeff-wa - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 12:42

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 12:42
Very true Bradley , but how are they going to make money out of that? That's what it's all about isn't it, thats why they lower speed limits, not to save lives, just to make it easier for someone to come down a hill loaded up with their cruise on and get done for doing 9km over the limit.
FollowupID: 307502

Follow Up By: Brian - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 15:16

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 15:16
9kph try 3kph

I would not complain if the money went to Education and road improvement!!!

Brian
FollowupID: 307530

Follow Up By: Member - Bradley- Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 13:42

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 13:42
9 km , geez youv'e got some great leeway over in WA, here if you even sneeze youre gone.....Moo... everyone knows what a Jackaroo looks like :-)
FollowupID: 307618

Reply By: whyworry - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 18:05

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 18:05
you can just about tell city drivers, they drive for miles on low beam then if they do find high beam they have to be reminded by a blink by on comming trafic that their on highbeam. they then drop speed untill next passing lane where they speed up to 130 so you can not pass then the whole thing starts over again.
AnswerID: 45326

Reply By: Diesel1 - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 20:37

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 20:37
A good trick I learnt years ago for those mongrels who tailgate you with lights on high beam is to have a can of Coke under the seat and if the offender doesn't dip their lights, shake the bejeebers out of the can, hold it out the window and flip it open - then move off the shoulder and kick up a bit of dust. It works well.

Diesel1
AnswerID: 45338

Reply By: Big Trev - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 17:36

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 17:36
Being a Defensive Driver Trainer on and off since 1987, the best rule is:

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".

Now for those of you who have posted revenge type tactics to combat those who accidently leave their lights on, have a think about the repercussions of your actions when you look at my rule above.

Revenge is not the answer. All of a sudden you have two people who can't see - What a bonus!!!

If someone comes up behind you and you can't see, put your left indicator on, put your foot on the brake and move over and let them go. The same applies to someone coming the other way.

In my experiences as a truck driver and driver trainer, if someone doesn't dip their lights, it is an odds on bet that they are fatigued and not paying attention.
AnswerID: 45451

Follow Up By: Member - Bradley- Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 13:41

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 13:41
Very true Trev, my setup is not used as a 'revevge' tactic, i'm not that crazy ( yet :-) ) i only give a split second flash, not enough to blind or dazzle as the light is aimed lower than windscreen height, it just give's em a little wake up . I would guess that 90% or so are fatiuged or the poor buggers have never been taught properly in the first place. Hey, lets not start on the ones who have no idea how to behave around trucks, I have noticed Cootes Tanker Service have undertaken their own public education excersize with some good graphics & instructions on the back of their fuel tankers, great idea but why should they have to spend their hard earned when the gov't should be teaching it in the first place.Moo... everyone knows what a Jackaroo looks like :-)
FollowupID: 307617

Sponsored Links