jeep wranglers whats the go?

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 16:31
ThreadID: 10241 Views:2008 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
hi all, ive been looking into purchasing a 4wd.. i have done some 4wding over the past 2 years in a GQ, but now that i have finished school and my parents are selling the nissan, i am looking at getting my own car. so i am looking for a swb 4wd that is a good compromise on and off the road. ive looked at the swb pajero, but front independent suspension gave pretty poor travel and i have heard varying stories about the poor performance of the 3.0ltr engine. the jeep wrangler has really caught my interest, live axel front and rear and the larger engine in a lighter car sounds like a good combo. i dont expect it to be anywhere near as capable offroad as the GQ, but overall it sounds like a solid 4wd. So if anyone out there has had or knows someone with a wrangler any feedback on what sort of a 4wd it is would be really appreciated, im making a lot of compromises to save for this car and id really hate to make a poor choice. Thanks for ur help.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: flappan - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 17:07

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 17:07
The 3.0l in a SWB PJ goes well. IFS is somewhat limiting, but not overly so. Driver plays a bigger part then the vehicle.

Wrangler, not as capable Offroad then the GQ . . . don't kid yourself here, The wrangler is the equal to these.

Neither of these are great onroad (PJ would be far better at that).

The Wrangler are fairly thirsty, with a small tank , it is a fairly old motor with EFI stuck on it.

All in all though, the are a good, fun, capable vehicle , that can become an addiction if not careful.

Here's the place to go to ask Jeep questions.
http://ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/??sid=28a0fd27bb3e6a7e5c847e1e438be739
AnswerID: 45316

Reply By: Member - Ross - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 17:48

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 17:48
Rino

As far as I know they're reasonably competent off road. Before you buy one be sure to look under the seats, there you should find kidney belts ..... in the spot where they put life jackets on aeroplanes .....................;-)))))))))))

CheersFidei defensor

Rosco
AnswerID: 45322

Reply By: Troopie - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 17:51

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 17:51
G'day
Sounds like you've mostly made up your mind... Unfortunately I can't comment on the wrangler - which was your question.

I can tell you though that the IFS on a Shorty Paj is not as limiting as you'd think.... I had a GLS 3lt Paj and so far it has been the car I've missed the most after selling. I gave that poor car an absolute beating and not once in the entire time I had it did it go close to letting me down.... I suspect you can't really go wrong no matter which way you go. If you want to get really serios, the Wrangler is far better in terms of modifications available (the reason I sold my Paj).

All the best.
AnswerID: 45323

Sponsored Links