Is there a market for used camping trailers in December?

Submitted: Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 00:38
ThreadID: 102414 Views:2179 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hello, I'm from Germany and I'm planning a trip from Perth to Sydney, starting mid of December this year. To rent a 4WD is too expensive and we couldn't find any one way rent company for the camping trailer. Therefore we are looking for a used 4WD and a used camping trailer and selling them in NSW three months later.

I know that the summer holidays starts in January. Considering that everybody is planning to get out of town, is there a market for used camping trailers in December?

Does anybody knows a trustful dealer around Perth?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Villatranquilla - Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 11:31

Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 11:31
Hi - school holidays start here in Perth (WA) around mid December till the end of January. Buying privately would be a cheaper option and there is a trading paper in WA called "Quokka" also an online version - regardless of where you buy it get the wheel bearings checked and perhaps carry a spare set. Crossing Oz, fuel is available every few hundred K's - with minimal mechanical services, poor/no mobile phone reception. No towns , just roadhouses for about 1500 k's. As it will be summer carry extra water
AnswerID: 511848

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H2 - Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 12:29

Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 12:29
I agree with Villatranquilla, another place to look for cheap camper trailers is the caravan Yards, they generally have one or two sitting in the yard. and don't advertise them as a general rule like they do the vans. Selling them is generally not the easiest thing to do but if the price is right and the rig is right back packers are the place to go as you have like minded people travelling all the time. I hope this is of some help to you. good luck.
FollowupID: 790137

Reply By: member - mazcan - Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 12:31

Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 12:31
hi cis
there are camper trailers for sale every month of the year
if you look in the classified section on this site
you will see an example of this at the moment
in addition google the different brands and find the agents who usually have s/hand ones in their sales yards
or look in the for sale sections of the west Australian news paper particuly on Saturdays
and also
the sunday times news paper they always have a lot for sale and the quokka as mentioned
their are so many for sale you will be confused depending on what price range and type you require
you may also find a lot more for sale in the off holiday periods as people try to sell and upgrade to something better or different
and then if they haven't sold theirs by the time the holidays come around again they take them off the market and use it again
so what I am saying is the off period may have a better choice for choosing than the peak period
hope this helps
cheers
barry
AnswerID: 511852

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 12:34

Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 12:34
sorry for to mention there are also a lot of 4wds for sale in the the same papers as mentioned
cheers
FollowupID: 790138

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 11:40

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 11:40
hi
also just thought i would mention
if you buy a s/hand 4wd that developes mechanical problems along the way it could cost you more than renting a reliable one ????? something to consider in the price you pay if cheap and it has big km's on the clock = problems ???also hard to quit at end of trip
but your decision of course
cheers
FollowupID: 790221

Follow Up By: cis - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 17:37

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 17:37
Hi mazcan,

This is right and I have thought some time about this issue. Travellers Autobarn offers a 5k km warranty on gear and engine. I guess the cars are quite old, but they check them. They even offer buy back. So the risk should be ok, or?

There's even another issue. Most rentals don't offer a one way, if you are starting at Perth.

hmm, not so easy all together ...

Cheers
FollowupID: 790246

Reply By: Geoff - Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 13:56

Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 13:56
GumtreeTry this site
AnswerID: 511858

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 14:43

Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 14:43
Bring Factor 10 million sunscreen.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 511862

Reply By: Villatranquilla - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 13:22

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 13:22
other question is do you really need a 4WD? More expensive to run, insure, and fix if repairs are needed. You can get to lots of out of the way places and free camps with a conventional car and trailer
AnswerID: 511933

Follow Up By: cis - Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 17:28

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 17:28
Hi Villatranquilla,

indeed, I asked this question myself all ready. Travelling in Western Australia with a 4WD was always comfortable, because for some of the tracks to the camping places and driving around the National Parks was a lot easier with a 4WD. We did also some journeys with a camper, nice too, but we couldn't get to some places, like the west side of the Karijini NP or to Cape Leveque.

I heard that especially for South Australia a 4 WD would be a good idea and for Victoria, if you would like to go to the Crampiens, too.

Would you say, that's true?
FollowupID: 790309

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 20:25

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 20:25
Cis,

I know it's not what you've asked us about, but there are some things that you may have overlooked, and it might be helpful if we raised them now, so you don't run into trouble when you arrive in Australia.

1) December, January, February in Australia is HOT! It will be quite a shock coming from a European winter to an Australian summer. You haven't said just where you are planning on travelling, but with three months you are probably hoping to explore lots of Aus. BUT- it will be too hot to go far north. Too hot and dangerous to explore the central deserts. The far north will be very hot and the monsoon wet will in any case severely limit travel options. So you'll be confined (just as we locals are at that time of year) mainly to the southern parts. Suggest check out the weather conditions here.

2) Please be aware of the importance of having lots of drinking water with you when travelling. Most of Australia is very dry at any time, but in the middle of summer can be a killer unless you are prepared for it. If you are thinking 4WD, I guess you are thinking of exploring away from "civilisation". You will find water available where there are people, but away from populated places you must carry your own. And LOTS of it!

This raises a critical point - You are thinking of a camper trailer. That means no air conditioning, no relief from the heat. It's not very comfortable when, after a 40 degree day, you lie down for a 30+ degree night.

If you possibly can, I'd suggest move your trip to another time of year. Spring, three months starting in September, would be much more enjoyable in the southern parts, and much more scenic.

Sorry to raise such an impediment, but maybe better now than after you arrive!

Cheers

John

J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 512042

Sponsored Links