New Road - Madigan Camp 2

Submitted: Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 16:55
ThreadID: 102425 Views:2981 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Those who have undertaken remote area travel in the Western Simpson Desert will be aware of the location of The Twins close to Madigan Camp 2. I understand a new road has been built for mining exploration in the area to the North East or East of this location and would be very interested to find out more details including a map if available.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robin Miller - Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 20:14

Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 20:14
Hi Jim

There is a good road to east of Colson track - but never driven it.

Last 2 years I have been out there doing Madigan etc and crossed it while attempting to follow the North Simpson Dessert map book tracks.

That booklet doesn't show those roads.

I presume they are mining or station tracks and may go nowhere in context of doing the Madigan line which was my main interest.

Saw a tanker there at the crossroads at 53 J 607467 7276398
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 511888

Follow Up By: Jack J - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 22:05

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 22:05
These tracks have been or are been ripped up by the mining companies upon completion of their work in the desert due to environmental reasons.
FollowupID: 790262

Follow Up By: Member - Jim R (ACT) - Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 15:24

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 15:24
Thanks Robin & Jack. Although it seems very difficult to get hold of accurate information, I have found that the Central Land Council issue a map of the 'Madigan Line Permitted Route' in conjunction with a Madigan Line Permit (Yes they are now required but are free of charge). This map shows the main road I was looking for but at this stage I have not seen a commercial map showing any of them.

Jack, I do find it hard to believe the mining companies would rip up the tracks after they have finished with them - why would they spend the money - unless they have been required to by the land owners or the government.

We will be out there in July checking it out!!

Happy traveling.
FollowupID: 790293

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 16:29

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 16:29
All good Jim.

The new good road certainly makes it easier to do the first part of the Madigan. The parts I have driven on are quite good but many would miss the challenge.

Not going to camps 2 isn't much of an issue but 3 & 4 are.

I presume going to the twins will still be ok.

Actually one great little drive is to camp at camp 1A and go across to camp 1 , its only an hour but really gives one a taste of dessert cross country driving.

I suspect this new path will mean more people will do Madigan in future , sort of like when they stuffed up the spring delta part of the Simpson crossing.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 790298

Reply By: percy c - Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 23:15

Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 23:15
Hi Jim,
Are you planning on crossing the Madigan track? Me and some mates are doing it in September and are looking for some extra vehicles to join up with.

Percy
AnswerID: 513892

Reply By: Member - Jim R (ACT) - Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 08:37

Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 08:37
Percy,

Sorry if this appears to be a rushed response but I am leaving within the hour on our planned trip across Madigan.
I did find out a bit more about the road but mostly you do need to get a CLC permit to do the trip. As a part of that permit you will be provided a map which shows the 'approved' route, a large portion of the western end of which is on the new road, so that tells you where it goes to a large degree.
We expect to be home by 1 August and I could well have some further information by then.

Jim
AnswerID: 513905

Reply By: Ozrover - Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 08:51

Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 08:51
The mining roads in the North Simpson cross Aboriginal land & still require a permit from the CLC.

They also require permission from the mining companies is my understanding.

The shot lines are being torn up to regenerate back to close to natural, but I don't know of the roads being torn up.

If using the mining roads, take great care as some go off for hundreds of km's to nowhere, we have had mining vehicles out there that have taken the wrong tracks & nearly run out of fuel.

AnswerID: 513909

Follow Up By: Member - Jim R (ACT) - Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 19:55

Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 19:55
Thanks Jeff, but as mentioned above, the CLC permit actually requires you to use a large part of the new road when undertaking a Madigan Line crossing. As such I cannot see there would be a need for mining company permission, nor would there seem to be a risk of it being ripped up.
Re the care required, the warning is appreciated but one cannot wonder what mining vehicles are doing in such an area without the benefit of suitable maps and GPS - this sounds rather hazardous if not downright foolish to me!!
FollowupID: 792773

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Saturday, Jun 29, 2013 at 08:42

Saturday, Jun 29, 2013 at 08:42
I think the mining company's permission is required if proceeding beyond the CLCs permit area.

Some of these mining guys aren't as bright as you would think! They had verbal directions on where to go & didn't bother to look at their maps, ended up borrowing fuel from some travelers.

FollowupID: 792804

Sponsored Links