Do we really need to spend $2K on a Honda Generator?????

Submitted: Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 18:54
ThreadID: 102426 Views:10321 Replies:22 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy all,

We heading off around Oz for a few years and planning to go vary remote and stay in certain areas for a few weeks at a time. We are trying to ensure we are as self sufficient as we can and will be getting solar panels etc. However we also are looking at getting a genny as a back up.
My gadget Honda loving hubby is looking at a Honda Eu20i at a grand old cost of just under $2000.00. Although the Honda is extremely quiet (I hate any noise as much as the next person in the bush) I am thinking there must surely be another option that isn’t so expensive.
Basically we need it to charge 4x 12 V car batteries. One battery is specifically in the truck to run a 90ltr National Lunar, which will draw 2amp/ph. I also am completely addicted to coffee and ideally want to bring my machine (yes I know there are plenty of alternatives, but if it keeps me from committing murder then it’s well worth it). We need it to be reliable and although we are not planning to use it often when we need it we want it to work first time.
Any suggestions to keep our budget within reason and get us on the road quicker???
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 19:05

Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 19:05
I saw a few quiet ones at the Sydney 4x4 show recently but I didn't take a lot of notice of them, but Yamaha have some. Check the specs on the Honda and use them as a comparison for other quality units! Honda are expensive and quiet, you cant beat them for reliability! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 511879

Reply By: Member - J&R - Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 19:17

Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 19:17
I guess you do then.
Of course you can do it simply, and cheaply, (you can travel around Aus on a pushbike) but many people nowadays require their coffee machines, satellite tv's, electric blankets, dvd players, recliners, in laws, grandchildren, stereo, blender, laptops etc. You get the idea.

Honda is good gear. Of course you'll also need about 10km of extension leads to get the creature far enough away along with petrol supplies (which is another storage problem in itself).
AnswerID: 511881

Reply By: wjh41 - Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 19:20

Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 19:20
The answer is no,buy a Kipor,there the same only painted blue and $500 cheaper.Ive got one and very happy with it Wally
AnswerID: 511882

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 00:08

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 00:08
Sure it's made by Honda?

Honda out of Japan, Kipor out of China.

Honda 5 year warranty, Kipor 2 year

Honda made by Honda, Kipor made by Wuxi Kipor Power Co. Ltd.

About 5 years ago in the UK Honda took court action against Kipor for design copy and won, all Kipors stock was seized and destroyed.

I believe Kipor uses some of Honda's designing and technology under license but all parts made under license are manufactured by Kipor in China.
FollowupID: 790191

Follow Up By: ben_gv3 - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 08:06

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 08:06
I've seen Kipor gennies mounted in Sydney metro fire fighting trucks, presumably for their portable appliances, so they can't be that bad.
FollowupID: 790199

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 08:50

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 08:50
Nothing wrong with Kipor and hard t beat for the price and quality, but it's not a Honda...
FollowupID: 790200

Follow Up By: KenInPerth - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 12:23

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 12:23
Just about all of the cheaper engine products on the market are Honda copies aren't they out of China.

I have always wondered how much of the cost for genuine is better quality and how much is the sales and support infrastructure, and are they still actually manufactured in Japan or elsewhere under license - have not looked for a Made in Japan sticker recently.

I have a 3.5KVA honda copy generator and I reckon it starts and runs as well as the Honda and has not missed a beat. I figure I can buy 4 of these for the "genuine" cost and supply in the city is not an issue - and no maintenance costs (yeah I know - throw away society strikes again).

Having said that there is no disputing that many many people are happy with the Honda brand and in a "mission critical" situation it maybe worth the extra money for the (hopefully) peace of mind.

Take on board what olcoolone says though.
FollowupID: 790229

Follow Up By: Jarse - Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 19:29

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 19:29
How many service agents do the cheapies have in the country, should you need it?

How many do Yamaha and Honda have?
FollowupID: 790327

Reply By: Burnt Damper - Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 19:27

Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 19:27
Honda Eu20i is not the best friend with all air conditioners either I have 2006 van with a Dometic air con and it will only just run the air con nothing else on a hot day!
AnswerID: 511883

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 19:56

Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 19:56
Hi. If you are on the road all around Oz for a few years full time then get the better quality items to start with. It will pay in the long run. You can buy the Eu20 here for a lot cheaper than 2 grand. I'm sure you don't need the extras they want you to buy. I have run ours on two 20m leads to two Caravans to charge both vans' batteries when we had two cloudy days and the other lady used a hair dryer as well. You could hear it running the hair dryer but it ran on eco mode for the charging and was hardly noticeable. Regards,Bob.
AnswerID: 511887

Follow Up By: Tjukayirla Roadhouse - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 14:47

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 14:47
Yeah, agree with this totally.
If you want to keep it, and have it still work, then just pay the extra and get quality gear to start with.
Some sydney fire truck may have a koybittobussoboo genny, but that would be because of a pen pushers penny pinching, not because somebody decided they were a good bit of kit.
If you are extended travelling out bush, then the genny will be handier than solar in the long run.

Cheers
Al
FollowupID: 790237

Reply By: Member - Scrubby (VIC) - Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 20:34

Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 20:34
G`day,
Unless you have somehow to charge the batteries if the weather turns sour for several days, then yes you will require a generator.
I have just bought a new Yamaha EF2000iS for less than $1800 delivered.
I previously had a Honda eu10i but it stuffed up and I have found it extremely difficult to get much information from either Honda or the dealer.
I have lost confidence in Honda products and service, and because I have had an excellent run with my other Yamaha products I will now try their Generator.

Enjoy your travels,

Scrubby.

AnswerID: 511890

Follow Up By: Nickywoop - Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 23:04

Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 23:04
Agree Scrubber,

I have many Honda powered products, ie. ride on law mower , whipper snipper etc.But I also have 2 yamaha gennies, a 1 KVA (first 1 owned)
Bought in 1998.
Then I bought a 2.4 a ripper.
Cannot fault them
Done plenty of hard work powering lodgings in out back NSW,and SA including fridges & feezers + lighting in shearing sheds.
Both have worked flat out at times 24/7.

Regards Nick
FollowupID: 790188

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 20:37

Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 20:37
With the trip plans you describe, I'm sure you'll never regret investing in a quality generator.
Its not just the appliances you want to take with you - its those overcast drizzly days that can go on and on when you are camped out - solar is no use and you can't let batteries get flat. Agree re above that $2000 is too much for the Honda - caravan and camping show specials are a good opportunity for keen pricing, plus the discounters online.
Yamaha have a great reputation too and are priced a little lower that the Honda. I get by with a Yamaha 1.0 @ 13kg, being our battery charging backup - we can't run our van's air conditioner in the bush and I have to leave my twin thermoblock milk frothing drug producing espresso machine at home (sob)...... but 13kg is about all my dicky back can handle :-o).
AnswerID: 511891

Reply By: kev.h - Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 20:53

Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 20:53
I'm happy with my Genquip 2000 about half the price of a Honda
Kev
AnswerID: 511893

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 21:20

Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 21:20
Over the life of your generator, Honda will be cheap at the price. They are reliable, built to last, light and easy to handle and start - even for a girl. Quietness as already mentioned - they just purr. When camped near others using Hondas we have to go outside the caravan to be sure the genny is still going. With the cheaper brands, it is not so much the noise level but the annoying rhythm of the sound. When touring in the Kimberley, most who were using generators had either the one or two kva - not a bother to us in the campgrounds.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 511896

Reply By: SuperGrover - Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 21:54

Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 21:54
The Honda 2kva is the pick of the generators and is very quiet. However, my air command air conditioner keeps tripping out when it is very hot with the 2 kva just when I need it. I have purchased a Kipor 2.6 kva which is considerably cheaper and does the job every time. If you are unsure of the load of the air conditioner or coffee machine it may pay to borrow or hire one to make sure it will do the job you require.
AnswerID: 511898

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 07:39

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 07:39
Hi

Your car's alternator can charge the batteries. 100 or 150 amps, you won't need to run the engine for long to charge even 4 big deep cycle batteries. The savings in weight, different flammable fuel etc are huge.

Its a personal preference, but I'd spend my money on a good solar setup, and fall back on the car's alternator in overcast situations.

Bob
AnswerID: 511903

Reply By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 08:45

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 08:45
I must say every lawn mower, whipper snipper, chain saw has had me pulling the cord until I'm blue in the face but the Honda gennie starts on the first or 2nd pull every time. I sometimes think we overbooked with the 2kv and maybe the smaller one would've kept our batteries going but we don't take evry gadget known to mankind and a coffee pot is fine for us. You should pick one up for $1700. (a generator that is, not a coffee pot ;))
AnswerID: 511906

Reply By: Grumblebum and the Dragon - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 09:10

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 09:10
Eight years on and still running beaut..... Honda is King on reliability. Bushtracker load tested Kipors on their vans and they failed miserably. If a particular make or model does not run an aircondition it may be either due to the power requirement of the aircons or the true rating of the gennies. The best bet is solar but you will still need an alternative for those periods of extended lousy weather.

You pays your money and make your choice then live with the consequences.

John
AnswerID: 511909

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 11:11

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 11:11
hi all
many threads re- generators on here in the last 18mths
have recommended the Yamaha 2.4 kva gennie instead of the 2kva Honda
because they have said that a lot of the airconditioners in the larger vans draw too much for the Honda 2kva to handle comfortably
but the yamaha's with the .4 extra can do the job easily
both brands are good with back-up and comparable prices when comparing the extra .4kva from the yama
cheers
FollowupID: 790217

Reply By: Keith H7 - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 09:40

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 09:40
I agree that you should take a generator if you can afford one. I also agree with all the Honda comments but if $'s is the issue.. have a look at the Genquip range

http://www.genquip.com.au/digital-inverter-generator-2000w/

make sure you compare apples with apples e.g. Output Range an Max Output etc.

AnswerID: 511912

Reply By: Ajay and Fletch - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 11:43

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 11:43
One important consideration that seems to have been forgotten and that is one must consider what type of electrical equipment will you be running. Particularly, if you will be using the generating capacity to operate sensitive electronic equipment, you MUST get a generator that produces a PURE sine wave.

There are sales people out there who will tell you that a modified sine wave will be fine for computers and gaming consoles but believe you me (I made electricity for 30 years operating a coal fired power station), they are NOT. If you use modified sine wave generators to run these types of equipment you seriously risk the well being of the gear. Don't get burnt by con merchants.

Regards ... Ajay and Fletch.
Ajay & Fletch with BT in tow.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 511923

Reply By: toffytrailertrash - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 12:15

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 12:15
Genquip or Yamaha, minimum 2.4kva and don't forget the fuel stabiliser....

Cheers

Merv
AnswerID: 511927

Reply By: KenInPerth - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 12:31

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 12:31
Others with much more frst hand experience than me may offer more on this, but as far as size goes 2KVA is probably about the minumum you would want if you are talking coffee makers, boiling kettles, microwaves, running air con, etc - the larger power type items.

You need to check the VA rating (not just the Watt rating) of the devices you want to use and see what the largest of them is. Some can also have high startup currents that will knock the generator out if it is not big enough to cope.

Without getting complicated, if a device only has a Watt rating and a Power Factor (PF) divide the Watts by the PF (ie. 300W with 0.6 PF is 500VA) and then add some "fudge factor".

AnswerID: 511930

Reply By: madcow - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 14:21

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 14:21
Intersting as we did a test with a 2kva Kipor on a mates caravan and it failed once the Fridge, Battery charger and air con was turned on. With the EU 2.0 we had everything on including the air con, fridge, Battery charger, turned the microwave on full for 2 minutes boiling water and still did it no worries. We even considered turning on the 240v hot plate but knew that would be pushing it so did not bother!

He has since bought a honda and will be offloading the Kipor in the very near future. He paid $1550.00 for his but he picked it up! 2 grand is excessive these days for this genny
AnswerID: 511939

Reply By: GimmeeIsolation - Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 15:26

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 15:26
Buy the cheapest Chinese one you can find and just wear earmuffs and communicate via little whiteboards and a texta or learn handsign.
Only need to know the bent elbow with tilting hand to mouth for a beer or thumb to forefinger and second finger for food. After a while you also shake the fist.
Get pictures of birds to hang in the trees 'cos they will be gone too.
It wont have much grunt, but hey, its cheap.
It will also annoy the beeep out of everybody else for a mile around you but at least you save a little bit for a while , meet a few others over a punch-up and then in a few years or when somebody smashes your Chinese one, you will get a Honda or Yamaha.
Sorry, had to have a story.....Let him get a red or blue one and it will keep you both happy !
I have had the same one you are looking at for many years and even when left for a year, second pull and it will fire up. I run mine on Premium Fuel.
If you look around you can usually find deals saving 2-3 hundred occasionally.
Sometimes you just have to grit your teeth and pay the dollars for peace of mind.
It will last you forever and if you ever want to sell it, it will sell quick for decent amount.
Enjoy your trip, safe travels.
AnswerID: 512019

Reply By: Member - Hubbo - Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 17:15

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 17:15
Do you need a 2kVa generator?
"nothing ventured, nothing gained"

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 512024

Reply By: exilebean - Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 20:38

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 20:38
Thanks guys for all your advice. It seems on this occassion my gadget loving hubby was perhaps right and the Honda is the way to go. As we are not heading off till next year we have time to hunt around for a special to ease my budgetary mind!!

AnswerID: 512046

Reply By: Robtbob NSW - Friday, May 31, 2013 at 21:18

Friday, May 31, 2013 at 21:18
I agree with Burnt Damper - my 2KV Honda won't run my A/C as well as charge the one battery on my van. I'm disappointed. Didn't expect it to run the elect jug as well. But thought the 1st 2 things would work at the same time. Should have gone bigger.
AnswerID: 512288

Sponsored Links