Rebuilt 12HT feul economy and even smells diesel inside HJ60

Submitted: Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 22:19
ThreadID: 102433 Views:5783 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I recently replaced 2H engine with a rebuilt 12HT engine on HJ60

I noticed it literally drinks diesel and also noticed lot of black smoke from its exhaust. Would appreciate any suggestion to improve its fuel consumption and performance setting required for offroading.

I also felt mild to mid level diesel smell inside my vehicle and unsure if its smoke or fuel smell .. sometimes there is no smell inside.

Is there any suggestion to fix these issues?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 00:14

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 00:14
Naveed Merchant
The engine has been rebuilt by whom?

Is the full turbo boost at least 7psi/50Kpa which is normal for 12HT.

It is possible to have the cam timing ok but the injection pump timing may not be.
Also, if the centifugal pump advancer is the original it will have worn on it's drive edges and will actually be causing retarded pump timing if the pump is in the original position.
The pump may need to be advanced.

Smoke may be because injectors aren't functioning correctly.

Any combination of the above may be/ possible at the same time.

The sliding joint in the exhaust manifold may not be sealing and allowing some exhaust to be dumped in the engine bay.

Ross M
AnswerID: 511901

Follow Up By: Naveed Merchant - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 18:56

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 18:56
The engine was built by friend of mine who builts speed boats and he did this himself as he is himself a mechanic.

He had put sleeves in it.

I am currently working with a mechanic who is trying his level best to rectify but he is a petrol engine mechanic with limited diesel engine knowledge and he can follow manual and instructions well.

I will try out with your advice and see how it goes

FollowupID: 790251

Reply By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 11:58

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 11:58
G'day Naveed Merchant.

Not having any real detail regarding the rebuild of the engine there a several things that come to mind that may cause the issues you describe.

The very first issue might be a restriction in the air intake to the Turbo, remove air intake plumbing and have a look, start the engine and have a listen.

By all means check the pump timing ~ the 12H-T has a plug on the front cover of the injection pump, remove the plug, rotate the engine manually and look to see if the timing mark on the timer gear appears in the plug hole opening and it's relationship to the timing mark(s) and the cast pointer on the front cover and the crankshaft pulley.

Check the crankshaft pulley should have three timing marks 0 (TDC) 11 BTDC and 18 BTDC.

Check the relationship of these timing marks to the pump timing mark and to the valve clearance settings.

Safe travels:

AnswerID: 511925

Sponsored Links