water crossing preparation

Submitted: Monday, May 27, 2013 at 13:44
ThreadID: 102438 Views:1828 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
I am about to take the Terracan ( diesel with snorkel and 50mm lift) across the gulf, normanton to Roper bar allong the "Great Top Road".
I believe there are some significant creek crossings along the way, any tips on preparation for crossing creeks would be apreciated, for example do I need to spray wd40 around the electrics, how important are extended diff breathers, and do I need to use a sheet across the grill.
Cheers
Dave T
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Geoff in SA - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 13:57

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 13:57
Hi David

Well to reply to a couple of questions
If you are going to cross the gulf I suggest the deep water snorkel extension.
These come in many lengths. Add as required for very very deep water.
You need about 10 to cross Bass straight.

On a more serious note, extend your diff breathers as high as possible. Even inside the motor under the bonnet is best.
And as usual always let the drive system cool off before trying a water crossing as the thermal shock can damage some parts.
The front blanket is a good idea as it does help stop water trying to flow via the radiator and have the fan act like a boat propeller.
There are many styles of WD40 or similar able to be used.
it wont hurt.
But make sure the top of the snorkel to the motor is really well sealed. Especially the airfilter as H2O and Diesel and Compression do not make a good mix.

Check your fuel breather as well and ensure it is above any water you may try to negotiate.

Other than that I hope the jerrycan will hold up.
Enjoy the trip

Regards

Geoff
AnswerID: 511937

Reply By: Idler Chris - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 21:02

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 21:02
One thing not many people think about is once the water gets about 80 cm your vehicle starts to become lighter with the effects of floatation. As it gets lighter the tyre footprint starts to get shorter which means less traction. And the deeper the water the more floatation and less traction. Quite obviously the deeper the water the more traction you need to push the water aside hence tyre pressures become an issue. Once the water is over a metre I am down to 12 PSI just for the crossing in my Toyota 100 series TD 50mm lift. Did Nolan's on the Cape this year with water nearly to the bottom of the mirrors, no problem. Avoid car bra's the material moulds around the gaps or spaces in the bull bar and creates eddies. The stiffest tarp you can find is best, not pretty, but it makes for a much smoother face to the water and hence less resistance.
Finally did the trip from Normanton to Roper Bar last year (July) and did not need the tarp for any river crossing. But again quite obviously this can change from year to year so best be prepared.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 511963

Follow Up By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 21:19

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 21:19
Gday Chris
Just open the doors and the vehicle gets back to its normal weight .

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 790259

Sponsored Links