Security

Submitted: Monday, May 27, 2013 at 15:27
ThreadID: 102440 Views:1959 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hello everyone, wife and I have started planning a trip from Canberra to Perth, via port lincon area, and returning via the sw wa, and flinders ranges, over 8 week period. We will have our camp trailer with us. My concern is both the safety and security when away from camp, have heard things, but any feed back would be good... How trust worthy can you be? Thanks. Cheers odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 16:42

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 16:42
odog, it's a bit like the "how long is a piece of string?" question.

Generally most places are fairly safe, however as many of the posters here would attest, there are stories of stuff being stolen.

Best answer is common sense, keep things locked and secure wherever possible, and if you plan to be away from say the camper for a while, best leave it in a secure caravan park. Some common sense rules....

1. don't leave 'lift-able' valuables out in the open such as gennies, fridges, tools, and such like if you're going to be away - either lock them in the camper or vehicle. If they're attached to the vehicle or camper a few simple locks can give peace of mind.

2. if it looks dodgy, it probably is .... better to avoid caravan parks smack in the middle of town, particularly if they have no security fencing.

3. talk to other travelers, generally a good source of information (however sometimes you've got to take it with a grain of salt......)

4. make sure your Insurance covers both vehicles and goods if possible

5. be secure, but don't be paranoid ..... no point in ruining a good holiday, for the most part people are trustworthy, however there's always a few opportunists or a-holes out there, you would be unlucky to hit them.

Most of the people here would agree the more remote you go, the less of a problem. Most security issues are usually in populated areas...
AnswerID: 511944

Reply By: TheMightyMoose - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 16:54

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 16:54
How trust worthy can you be?
Mate I can be (and am) really trustworthy - can't vouch for anyone else though:-)

Seriously - have never experienced any issues in many years of travels.
AnswerID: 511947

Reply By: allein m - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 17:56

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 17:56
I have lived in Broken Hill for about 5 or 6 years now and i do know of small about of tourists vans being broken into in local caravan and some parked in the street sadly there is a small group of people in this work who have no conscious and if given the chance will take any thing of value they can sell for a quick dollar

lucky it is only a small percent of the population of Broken Hill but just because we live in a fantastic town with some very nice people there are some who do not care that they spoil your holiday and give the town a bad name and I am sure that fits most country towns so be safe secure and keep things out of sight and secure as possible

enjoy your trip
AnswerID: 511953

Reply By: Odog - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 19:48

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 19:48
Thanks all, I guess there really is no such thing, as a sure bet, I had a sixty series parked In a locked yard, had had a few beers, so thought I'd get a lift home, came back next morning, both batteries, winch, tool box, spotties, stereo, spare wheel, plus more... All gone. This was a few years ago, but has made me a bit paranoid I guess. Just hope my judgement can be a bit better now. Even with having insurance, it cost me a lot , both time and money. Cheers guys
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 511957

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 22:18

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 22:18
Hi Odog

We have never experienced any security issues, but we spend most of our time away from larger towns. We used to have a wind-up camper and we added a portable solar panel. When I talked about this on forum, there were a couple of responses asking weren't we concerned about someone pinching it. The thought never crossed our minds, although we were aware that there was no security with the canvas section of the camper when in a campsite, so wallets and cameras came with us in the car when sightseeing.

If I see a high fence around a caravan park, that is warning bells about the town, but it hasn't deterred us from going where we choose. Lock and leave where ever you are and relax. There have been reports of pilfering from caravans and annexes in certain towns. Make sure wallets handbags and cameras are keep out of sight, and always lock up if you both go over to the showers at the same time.

Friends were recently staying at a caravan park in one such town and their caravan was broken into while they slept, past dogs and all. Only cash was taken; handbag and their cards thrown under the caravan. Keep anything lift-able well hidden at night in towns.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 511969

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Monday, May 27, 2013 at 23:07

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 23:07
Odog,
Once you are past Hall you should be pretty right.
Bob
AnswerID: 511974

Follow Up By: JimDi - Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 13:44

Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 13:44
Hi Bob,

Out touring at the moment so just going thru the threads and noticed your reply.
I agree past Hall should be okay.

Years ago we lived in Canberra and we were burgled twice and the car broken into twice. The second time the buggers broke into our car was when George Bush visited Canberra. On that night we had the car parked at Kingston and media reports commented that there were hundreds of coppers in the vicinity.

Left our music alone but took a good weatherproof jacket and the running boards off our old 80 series.

We walked around our car for 10 minutes while we tried to figure out what was missing, finally noticed the running boards gone.
Jim
FollowupID: 790470

Sponsored Links