Next trip coming up

Submitted: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 21:58
ThreadID: 102485 Views:1862 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Thought I'd just update that I am about to head off on my 4th solo trip - except this time I'm not solo. This time my ex-mother-in-law is flying out from the US to join me for 2 1/2 - 3 weeks trip to western NSW, Flinders, Gammons, Arkaroola, Strzelecki, Tibooburra and home. To some this may not sound so wonderful :) but we gals are going to be in our element. We are currently considering a photo theme ...the last one we all did together was American Gothic, with a mix of household appliances in unusual places. Contenders for this trip are Victorian and Formal with gum boots.
I will try (again) to post a trip blog as we go.

btw I did the Landcruiser 4WD training a couple of weeks ago and it was the most fun I've had in a long time - I love my car - and very educational. I cannot stress enough how important it is to do a course like this if you are new to 4wd or need to update knowledge on 4wd/recovery techniques.

Packing the car this weekend and firming up the itinerary.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 22:01

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 22:01
Sounds a great trip Vicki, though you will be packing a lot into your itinerary. Good on you for doing the training too, its all good fun.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 512128

Follow Up By: David16 - Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 22:26

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 22:26
An English Tea Set might be a nice touch. :)
FollowupID: 790445

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 10:53

Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 10:53
Have fun girls, and don't forget the scone's Jam and cream, and congrats on the 4x4 course.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 790464

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 00:14

Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 00:14
...Go gals!
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 512133

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 14:35

Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 14:35
How come the movie was made before you two did the trip. I heard that they also added the last little BUMP in the movie. That it isn't true and you do come home after all.

What about that Thelma. Or is it Louise.

Have fun.

Phil
AnswerID: 512161

Follow Up By: Member - VickiW - Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 20:44

Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 20:44
I hope for a different ending (and no criminal charges, or even driving offenses) - may have to track down the sound track.
FollowupID: 790491

Reply By: Mick O - Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 15:11

Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 15:11
Always liked the idea of G&T's at sunset with blokes in formal safari suits and pith helmets, girls - evening gown with optional tiara lol.

The ubiquitous "Outback Al" (or dingo as he is also known as he is always skirting the campfire looking for scraps!) is enrolled in one of Mr Olsen's 4x4 courses in QLD as a preparity exercise prior to our July departure for the deserts. Hopefully it will impart some skills for outback driving to advance his current role of "skilled passenger".

;-)

Enjoy the trip. The flinders and Gammons are fantastic places.

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 512164

Follow Up By: Member - VickiW - Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 20:53

Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 20:53
Then he will have to practice what he's learned on the course.

Tiaras - I like it. Off to the $2 shop on the weekend.
FollowupID: 790492

Reply By: Carolyn L - Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 22:19

Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 22:19
Hi Vicki, we might see you along the way! We are leaving Adelaide next Thursday for Innamincka via the Strzelecki. We did the Gammon Ranges and Arkaroola last year so not sure if we will go back up through that way or straight up through Leigh Creek and Lyndhurst.
Look forward to seeing your photos and what you comeup with

Carolyn
AnswerID: 512193

Reply By: cloudseeker - Friday, May 31, 2013 at 03:07

Friday, May 31, 2013 at 03:07
Can you recommend a course? I also need to learn how to drive manual and to do it on the other side from what I'm used to. If you just know of a good 4WD course I could check if they could help with the rest.
AnswerID: 512199

Follow Up By: Member - VickiW - Friday, May 31, 2013 at 04:26

Friday, May 31, 2013 at 04:26
Hi Cloudseeker,
I did my course with the Toyota Land Cruiser Club of NSW. You need to join the club then the training is included in joining fee. You don't need to drive a Toyota. I'd recommend being comfortable with driving your car on road before doing the training - especially a manual. Another training organisation is mentioned in this thread.

I'm not sure from your post whether you just want to re-learn manual but are comfortable driving on LHS of road or am concerned about both? Either way just some practice first could be fine.
FollowupID: 790499

Follow Up By: cloudseeker - Friday, May 31, 2013 at 06:00

Friday, May 31, 2013 at 06:00
Thank you. I'm in the US driving an automatic 4WD Jeep. I discovered that to go off road (even just to camp) in Australia you must rent a manual 4WD, because they don't allow the automatic 4WD off road. So I have to learn manual (and on the other side, for me) and with all this hassle might as well do a more off road trip, so I should get more preparation for that. I figure I should spend a few days in a large city taking care of all this. I dread the 'other side' and the manual, not the off road part, but I might as well expand my capabilities and learn some basic fixes.

Alternatively, I sort of wish people would hire themselves out as drivers...but I don't think people do.

Your trips sound great.
FollowupID: 790500

Sponsored Links