Track from Stuart Hwy via Davenport Ranges NP to the Barkly Hwy - info

Hey Fellas...

Just wondering if anyone has travelled on the track that heads off the Stuart Hwy and goes through the Davenport Ranges NP and then ends up meeting the Barkly Hwy?

> Just after the Track Name and Condition...
> Approximate Distance and Time taken...
> Is it a well used track and is there markings/signs??
> Scenery along the way... is it worth it or am I better just to stick to the Hwy and turnoff at the 3-ways and head east from there?

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.....

cheers.....
RobM
Cheers..... RobM
Defender PUMA 110 "New School Tourer"
Defender 110 Tdi300 "Old School Tourer for Solo Trips"
DiscoTDi for Work/Play

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Aussi Traveller - Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 23:18

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 23:18
It is either the Binns track or the Sandover Highway.
AnswerID: 512131

Follow Up By: RobMac (QLD_Member) - Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 07:05

Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 07:05
Yes, I think its called Binns Track......
Cheers..... RobM
DiscoTDi for Work/Play

FollowupID: 790453

Reply By: Member - Graham S1 (QLD) - Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 12:18

Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 12:18
Rob
The section from the Stuart Highway to Davenport Ranges National Park is part of the Binns Track,but is in fact a fairly wide gravel road. The route to the north to the Barkly Highway is a private road through Epenarra Station . You need to obtain permission from the station owner to travel along it.Best to phone before you leave home, because permission is not always given especially if they are using it to move stock.

We drove that route in reverse ie from the Barkly to Davenport Ranges & out to the Stuart in early July 2012. Both parts were in quite good condition, indeed most of the Binns track section had been recently graded & the grader was still working.
It is about 110 km from the Barkly to Epenarra, & 120 from there out to the Stuart. There are 2 camping grounds to the south in the National Park. We stayed in both but I thought the one at Old Policestation Waterhole was the nicer, although the gorge at Whisleduck Creek is worth a visit. The roads into the park & the Epenarra road were all in good condition with little corrugation but the Epenarra road was narrow in places & one had to be on the lookout for stock.
My recollection is that it took us about 2 & 1/2 hours from the Barkly to Old Policestation WH (its a further 35 k south from Epenarra into there). It took us a morning from Whistleduck to the Stuart but we were towing & taking our time.

It is pretty well marked but you might need to check with the station as to the correct point of entry into their private road to the Barkly as there are a few station tracks around the homestead.
I think its more scenic than the highway, & if you have the time spending at least a day in Davenport ranges NP
Hope this helps

Graham
AnswerID: 512154

Follow Up By: RobMac (QLD_Member) - Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 13:47

Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 13:47
Thanks Graham.... much appreciated. It will come down to time as this part will be on our journey is homewards bound and if we are running out of time, then I guess the Hwy will be the quicker way to take.......

RobM
Cheers..... RobM
DiscoTDi for Work/Play

FollowupID: 790471

Follow Up By: Member - Michael John T (VIC) - Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 14:21

Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 14:21
From my recollection of about 3 yrs ago the sign at the start of the Espenarra Rd definitely indicates it is a Private Rd and closed to unauthorised traffic. Both camps at the Davenport Ranges NP are worth staying at for one or two days each. Policemans waterhole has a great 4WD track to tackle (without a trailer) of about 17 kms, well worth the drive fantastic views along the way.

Regards,

Mike.
FollowupID: 790472

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 21:01

Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 21:01
Epenarra Station to Barkly Homestead Roadhouse is a closed private road. Those who know the station owners have gone through with their permission at suitable times.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 790493

Follow Up By: Sandman - Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 22:21

Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 22:21
The lady that owns Epenarra station is good, just call her from the Barkley Homestead and remember to say "please" :-)

I gotta say that road is just plain crap, it had 18" of bulldust and 50m wide. its the ONLY time I've ever just about drowned the PRADO....

We travelled just after the cattle season after the road trains trashed it....

I've still got dust in the car years later :-) :-)

Pete
FollowupID: 792523

Follow Up By: RobMac (QLD_Member) - Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 10:42

Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 10:42
Well, We have just gotten back from our outback trip and managed to call into see the Davenport Ranges and the Policemans Waterhole..... Due to the weather conditions we endured, I have to say I was not very impressed with Policemans Waterhole..... We struck A LOT on wind and the place was a DUST BOWL. If there was no wind, then it might be a nice place, but with the WIND we struck and no grass covering of any type, the dust that was whipped up was really bad.
There was water in the hole and it did look nice but just due to the weather conditions, it didn't really leave us with a good experience..... No wind, better experience... :)

Side Note: The funny thing about our whole trip was the "Flies"..... They were a bit annoying in NT but when we crossed the border back into QLD, there didn't seem to many at all buzzing around your face..... Not sure why....
Cheers..... RobM
DiscoTDi for Work/Play

FollowupID: 793752

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 11:00

Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 11:00
Disappointing for you Rob. In the two weeks we were there there was no wind or dust, and campers with canoes paddled around the large pool. The river was not flowing so did not invite me to swim, but we used the water for washing clothes, and for cooking and bathing after letting the sediment settle in the buckets. Lovely sitting back watching the birds including some nesting in the trees, or taking walks. An interesting history of the old Police Station.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 793754

Follow Up By: RobMac (QLD_Member) - Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 18:21

Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 18:21
Yeah, I was a bit disappointed as it was my Daughters 11th B'day and we had planned to spend 2 nights there, but due to the high winds, it just made it too uncomfortable to stay.....Maybe one day we may go back in but I did want to look at the Whistleduck waterhole but wasn't prepared to drive the 50km round trip to find out it too was windy..... Next time....
Cheers..... RobM
DiscoTDi for Work/Play

FollowupID: 793772

Follow Up By: Sandman - Saturday, Jul 13, 2013 at 12:10

Saturday, Jul 13, 2013 at 12:10
Rob, were there any donkeys ??? Blighters kept us awake all friggin night

Pete
FollowupID: 793829

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Jul 13, 2013 at 12:14

Saturday, Jul 13, 2013 at 12:14
They scared the daylights out of unsuspecting campers when we were there :O. Those donkeys are certainly noisy at night. When we were there, culling them was controversial. I would be interested to hear if any action has been taken now it has full National Park status.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 793831

Follow Up By: RobMac (QLD_Member) - Saturday, Jul 13, 2013 at 19:28

Saturday, Jul 13, 2013 at 19:28
Yep..... Came across a few of them while we came in from the southern end past Hatches Creek. Heard them again during the night while we were staying at Old Policemans Waterhole too...
Cheers..... RobM
DiscoTDi for Work/Play

FollowupID: 793857

Sponsored Links