Trashed free camps

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 01, 2013 at 17:35
ThreadID: 102537 Views:2951 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
We were in the lovely little town of Bingara this morning and on the morning walk found some delightful free camps right on the banks of the Gwydir River. And it was with disgust that we saw quiet a bit of rubbish left lying around these beaut sites. I just wonder if those grubs throw their rubbish out their window when at home? Or leave it all lying around when they exit a caravan park? Thank goodness our visitors NEVER leave a mess behind and the roads in our shire are fairly free of litter too. It must take a very special type of traveller to wantonly drive away and leave all their crap behind. Cheers Toni
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Axle - Saturday, Jun 01, 2013 at 18:24

Saturday, Jun 01, 2013 at 18:24
Hi Toni, Can't believe people could treat a free campsite at Bingara like that, Been there on the side of the river a few times,..Gods country"....Special Morons!!!, i reckon.

Cheers Axle.
AnswerID: 512326

Reply By: Member - Allan H (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 01, 2013 at 18:57

Saturday, Jun 01, 2013 at 18:57
Their the sort of people (grubs) with no respect who will eventually destroy the priveleges that we all have in seeing this great country of ours.
They would be the first to carry on about further closures in the National Parks etc.

Cheers
Allan and Andrea
AnswerID: 512331

Reply By: Gronk - Saturday, Jun 01, 2013 at 19:09

Saturday, Jun 01, 2013 at 19:09
Was that right in town or approx. 5 K's out of town along the river ?

If it was right in town, you might find it was the locals having a "good" time of a weekend !!
AnswerID: 512334

Follow Up By: Kris and Kev - Saturday, Jun 01, 2013 at 19:33

Saturday, Jun 01, 2013 at 19:33
Good point. I know some travellers are bad, but we have come across a fare number of trashed campsites that have been trashed by so called locals, but the poor old travellers were getting the blame. I recall one in particular in SA where we arrived we were disgusted with a great mess on one camp spot and thinking it was caused by fellow travellers, others there quickly told us a car load of hoons from the nearby town had camped there the night before and caused all sorts of problems, even the Police had to be called. It was left to the travellers to clean it up. On another occasion we pulled into a free camp spot and there were a number of people cleaning up the toilets after hoons had smeared faeces all over the walls. Again, the old travellers were the ones doing the cleaning. Kevin
FollowupID: 790672

Follow Up By: Kilcowera Station Stay - Saturday, Jun 01, 2013 at 19:55

Saturday, Jun 01, 2013 at 19:55
Pretty well right in town, nearly opposite the excellent caravan park which we stayed at, as we are not camping on this trip. But as we drove further along the river towards Lake Copeton we saw many more great campsites - all for free! People, gotta look after them - these places are gems. We are having a luxurious little trip away from home, have been checking out the Outback Beds members places. We are members of this group, they are mainly in outback NSW and a few of us in SW Qld as well. But just were amazed at some of the beautiful free campsites we have seen on this trip - and they need looking after. Regards Toni
FollowupID: 790674

Follow Up By: 08crd - Saturday, Jun 01, 2013 at 22:00

Saturday, Jun 01, 2013 at 22:00
Most free camps I've been to are clean and treated with respect, it would be dumb to do otherwise.
The ones that are close to townships are used for parties by the local youth.
FollowupID: 790681

Follow Up By: Phillipn - Saturday, Jun 01, 2013 at 22:36

Saturday, Jun 01, 2013 at 22:36
The same thing happened at a free park in north Queensland some years ago. The manager of a near by van park made the mess, then took photos of it to the council.

But he was photographed doing it, the photos were sent to the council.

His aim was to get the council to close the free park.

He made a goose of himself.
FollowupID: 790684

Follow Up By: 08crd - Saturday, Jun 01, 2013 at 23:46

Saturday, Jun 01, 2013 at 23:46
We stayed at Kokerbin rock for a couple of days last week, magic. However the council is closing it down because people are riding quad bikes all over it.
Like someone with a caravan has a quad bike in tow.
Fortunatley the council is going to make another free camp area about 3klms away at the old tennis courts at Kwoyln.
Then make Kokerbin rock a day visit area.
FollowupID: 790687

Follow Up By: Member - John G - Sunday, Jun 02, 2013 at 09:46

Sunday, Jun 02, 2013 at 09:46
G'day Kris and Kev

As hard as it is to get motivated, I do think that biting the bullet, grabbing a pair of gloves, and making some attempt to clean up others' rubbish is a good way to go. I think I'd draw the line at cleaning filthy toilets though - probably grab the shovel and head bush.

Cheers
John
FollowupID: 790694

Reply By: Robyn R4 - Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 21:45

Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 21:45
Along the coast here there are 3 sorts of visitors...
1. Those who pay and stay in designated spots
2. Those who stay in the spots that say "No camping, $x fines" (our rangers are useless!) I've no doubt some are good, but the filth is progressively getting worse.
3. The locals who come and spend the night along the foreshore, drinking and forgetting their rubbish in the dark
I particularly love the day visitors who find that the bin is full and so leave their rubbish bag next to it...the crows and ibises love ripping the bags apart. Take your rubbish home if the bin is full!!

Rubbish often comes from pathetic locals, too!

*sigh* I think I'll get down off my soap box, now.
:)
AnswerID: 512485

Sponsored Links