Vibration

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 22:11
ThreadID: 10255 Views:1828 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
A question, Is the Gu victim of the same front end vibration as the old GQ patrol.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: goldfinder - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 08:46

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 08:46
I have never owned a GQ but do own a GU and have only had a vibration when I needed a wheel balance. I often travel a quit high speeds and don't suffer from any vibration and that includes when towing a van.
AnswerID: 45384

Reply By: Linga Longa - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 09:11

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 09:11
I own a GQ and suffer the same front end vibration between 85-95 KPH. Have had numerous wheel balances and alignments and still does not help much.
Could someone tell me any way of fixing it

Thanks on advance
Linga Longa
AnswerID: 45387

Follow Up By: Roachie - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 09:59

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 09:59
G'day,
I've owned 2 GQ's and now own a GU. They have all sufferred from the same shimmy around the 85k/h mark. I recently fitted a 4-Ways RTC (return to centre) steering damper and that has helped a great deal. Another reason I have heard of is the fitting of higher suspension without any subsequent change/s to the castor bushes on the front leading arms. I have 4" lift at the front (5" at the back) and have not had any offset bushes put in or castor correction plates etc.
Another supposed "fix" I read about once was that the tail shaft was slightly out of balance. The owner of that vehicle had the tail shaft re-balanced and cured his problem.
Personally i don't worry about the slight remaining shimmy too much as it warns me that my speed is approaching the legal limit (oh well, I know that sounds like BS, but I always try to find a "positive" out of any problem!!) LOL.
My suggestion, if your vehicle has done more than say 80,000klm, try fitting a RTC damper ($210-); if you have any suspension lift of say 50mm or more, you should probably have off-set castor bushes fitted (Rancho, ARB, Opposite Lock etc all sell these; I think they're about $35- each and you'll need 4 of them). I don't think they're real easy to fit without a hydraulic press, so you might have to allow some $$$ to have a mechanic fit them for you.
Good luck
Cheers,
Roachie
FollowupID: 307477

Follow Up By: Rowler - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 22:35

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 22:35
I have a GU 2002 Cab Chasis & was only just saying to my wife that there seemed to be a bit of a shimmy in the steering around 80km,
I recently fitted a 50mm lift with caster correction & had the wheels alighned & balanced.......... hmmm what to do?

Cheers Rowler
FollowupID: 307577

Reply By: Member - Peter (York) - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 10:53

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 10:53
My 99 GU Patrol coil cab has the shake at 80km I have fitted a new stering dampener all wheels are aligned and balanced ,the dampener helped a bit but it is still there its not very often I sit right on 80km so havent looked any further, have heard of others with the same at around the same speed99 GU Patrol 4.2 TD
Peter York 4x4
Whiskey 4501
AnswerID: 45406

Reply By: michael - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 13:03

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 13:03
Have owned '92 Mav lwb since new and over this time have experienced shimmy at various times with several tyre types and suffered various inefective wheel balances. My wheels are original 16 inch and I run LT 235/85/R16 BFG AT's. It all comes down to having someone taking time to get balance spot on with accurately calibrated balancer. Our car has done 203,000 Km and travelled some very rough roads and returned without shimmy problem. I have had many experts at 4WD shops try to sell me magic gismos to solve shimmy before I found my local tyre shop person Bob some years back. For interest ,the car still has orig steering damper and at present is OK. Many people out there try very hard to separate the vulnerable from their hard earned mulah.
Good luck DRC
AnswerID: 45419

Reply By: john - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 21:33

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 21:33
The best thing for gq steering vibration is to take it to Bob Jane and get a Silver balance. This is the only wheel balance that actually works. It will cost you about $30 but its worth it.
AnswerID: 45478

Reply By: Brian - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 07:51

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 07:51
Apologies to John (above) but I wouldn't give Bob Jane the time of day. (Bad experiance with them)...
But I did have the inbuilt Nissan "Anti-Driver-Fatigue" system in my GQ
Sean from Coomera Tyre World in SE Qld did a wheel alignment and balance and it has gone! That was almost 12 months ago!
Don't know his secret, and don't care to be honest but whatever it was it worked.

I would find a reputable wheel/tyre shop, preferably one where the owner still carries a tyre lever around, and get them to do it properly!
Just my opinion
Cheers
Brian
AnswerID: 45526

Sponsored Links