nyngan nsw closing free camp

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 02, 2013 at 18:10
ThreadID: 102555 Views:5136 Replies:8 FollowUps:31
This Thread has been Archived
have read on another site that Nyngan nsw has closed the free camping at the local showground under pressure from cvan park owners and have also discontinued being RV friendly town. Maybe it's because Nyngan is in the Bogan Shire!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, Jun 02, 2013 at 19:09

Sunday, Jun 02, 2013 at 19:09
I understand the problem ! The council want to provide free facilities to get travelers to stop in their town but it is the responsibility of the council to make sure legitimate businesses are supported to keep much needed jobs in the area. It's different if the council is in competition with local businesses but free is hardly competition! I have to agree with the decision. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 512391

Follow Up By: Aussi Traveller - Sunday, Jun 02, 2013 at 19:55

Sunday, Jun 02, 2013 at 19:55
I agree small business in small towns hardly need competition by a council owned free camp.

There again only small busuness owners would understand this.

Phil
FollowupID: 790739

Reply By: Member - J&R - Sunday, Jun 02, 2013 at 19:36

Sunday, Jun 02, 2013 at 19:36
Agree with Michael.
Local business support and survival trumps freeloaders and tight arses anytime.
AnswerID: 512398

Reply By: Honky - Sunday, Jun 02, 2013 at 20:56

Sunday, Jun 02, 2013 at 20:56
Whilst I have never stayed at the caravan park at Nyngan ( live to close ) It is in a very good spot close to the river. a lot better than the show ground.
The Campertrailer.org had its national meeting there a few years back so look up their site for a review.
Not sure of the cost but how cheap do you want to go when compared to the caravan park ?
Beside that, there is so many stops along the way to Bourke or Cobar for free camping it does not really matter.
Honky
AnswerID: 512403

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, Jun 02, 2013 at 21:14

Sunday, Jun 02, 2013 at 21:14
I don't have a problem with people free camping outside of towns but jobs are important in towns. Those that can afford to travel have obviously had or have a job and doing ok, but some need a job just to survive and have some self worth. Michael.
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

FollowupID: 790749

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jun 02, 2013 at 22:09

Sunday, Jun 02, 2013 at 22:09
Bogan Shire were providing at the Nyngan Showground free parking for up to 96 hours for self contained. Water available - most towns will provide water for caravanners. NO power nor access to toilets and showers available.Dump point at a different location - Teamsters Rest. This was NOT competition for the caravan parks in the town.

Sadly for other businesses in town, just two businesses have dominated without caring about other businesses in their town. I doubt these caravan parks will gain a single extra customer from the Showground closure.

Nyngan went into becoming an RV Friendly Town on the strength of gaining tourist trade for town businesses. These businesses have been let down.

There were reports of issues with people trying to gain unauthorised use of the amenities and power at the Showgrounds. Actions such as this from an unscrupulous minority always spoil it for the majority.

Those who would have patronised the town using the showground option and who wish to become positively involved in pointing out the loss the town will have from this action can put forward cases to the Shire at their invitation to me as a member of the 'other site':

"You and your forum members are welcome to make representations to Council on this matter via email or letter addressed to The General Manager at admin@bogan.nsw.gov.au or to PO Box 221, Nyngan, NSW, 2825."

All the more important is to put your case to the Bogan tourism and business association: Email bogantourism@hotmail.com or see here for further contact details: http://www.bogan.nsw.gov.au/services-fa ... obi2Id=272

Motherhen

Who believes in our right to have choices, and encourages towns to go down the win-win route of inviting the travelling public to come and stay a while for mutual benefit.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 512409

Follow Up By: Member - Keith P (NSW) - Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 00:19

Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 00:19
If the caravan park owners had put pressure on the shire council...than I wouldnt stay at either of them!!!
I was always under the impression that competition is good...and if the park owners cant rise to the occasion and COMPETE fer crissake ...than they dont deserve to be there.
I have stayed at both parks in Nyngan in recent years...and dint know the showground was available...as we wont stay at either park again...so it looks like either Dubbo or Cobar for us from now on.
I grew up in the Nyngan/Tottenham district...and this doesnt really surprise me anyway...as there was/is always whingers and bellyachers around Nyngan..always has n always will be . Shoulda seen the hullabaloo that went on over swimming at the weir by the pool lessees about 40 years ago .....nuthin has changed.

Cheers Keith
Nothin is ever the same once I own it ...........

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 790765

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 00:50

Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 00:50
Hi Keith

You may be interested in reading Bogan Shire Business Paper 23 May 2013 with submissions from the two caravan parks commencing at page 37.

As someone who now chooses not to stay in Nyngan because of their actions, you are ideally placed to send an email to both the Council and the Tourism and Business association on the addressed given in my post and tell them so and why. The Council are inviting this input and may not be completely averse to the idea of free or low cost self contained camping, which they set up two years ago to bring trade to shops in town and has now been turned around.

The showground was never competition for the caravan parks. What was provided was parking for self contained units. This is not a service caravan parks offer. Yes, it is up to caravan parks to attract their clientèle just as any other business or shop in town has to do. Caravan Parks should not expect special treatment. The Shire does not prevent people cooking at home because it disadvantages the café, nor prevented people purchasing widescreen televisions which caused the demise of theatres in many towns. Likewise what was available at the showground and at caravan parks are two different things.

Cheers

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 790768

Follow Up By: Member - J&R - Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 00:57

Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 00:57
I can only see a long term benefit to the town.

So I guess people who want something for nothing can choose to take themselves elsewhere and in the long run its no loss to the community.

The community will now have additional funding.
As I said. Tightarses and freeloaders. Take the other road.
FollowupID: 790769

Follow Up By: ChrisVal7 - Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 08:01

Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 08:01
Motherhen is absolutely spot on. When people are encouraged to stay in a town or community by low cost or free camping provisions, their cash goes to a number of local services. They need to eat so the grocery shops or cafes and restaurants benefit, they buy fuel from service stations and they spend whatever discretionary money they have available. When they stay at a caravan park that facility gets an automatic chunk of their money, reducing what is available to other services or shops.

Many towns have become aware of the economic benefits of providing such short term parking.

When I stay at a town which welcomes me by providing secure and low cost parking I do not expect all the services a caravan park could sell me. These are two different types of services. And I do use both freecamps as well as caravan parks.

If the caravan park wants my patronage they have to earn it by giving me something I want; they can't force me to stay because there is no alternative. In such a case I simply stay at an alternative town and spend my money there.
FollowupID: 790779

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 21:16

Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 21:16
We often stay at Nyngan van park and love the town
Appreciate the two van parks and their position on the matter but wonder what the other businesses in town feel the same as well?
Surely the decision would not have been made on their submissions alone, maybe the rest of the community does not see any real benefit in the freeloaders ?
FollowupID: 790883

Follow Up By: Aussi Traveller - Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 22:18

Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 22:18
When we travel, we only free camp at locations well outside town limits, this is because we are well out bush.
However we never stay at free camps within a town as you meet all kinds of parasitic low lives.
To clarify my statement, we stayed at a 24 hour camp south of Brisbane once and can't remember the name of it, I think it started with a P, anyway it was full of scum bags and free loaders, it was the first and last time we used such a place.
So being a small business owner we now look after the local C/V parks if we are near a town at dusk we have on occasion taken a motel room if we have been bush for some time.
Mined you I can afford to do this so it doesn't realy matter, after all my years of travel I couldn't care less if I was in a swag way out bush or in a motel or C/V park spending a few bucks for the night the way I see it is if you have to ask how much you probably can't afford it anyway, most free camps in or near town that I have seen are trashed by traveling red necks anyway.

Phil
FollowupID: 790888

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jun 04, 2013 at 16:27

Tuesday, Jun 04, 2013 at 16:27
I have just had my attention drawn to the fact that the contact person for the tourism and business association is the same person who submitted to the Council as owner of a Nyngan caravan park.

"All the more important is to put your case to the Bogan tourism and business association: Email bogantourism@hotmail.com or see here for further contact details: http://www.bogan.nsw.gov.au/services-fa ... obi2Id=272"

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 790929

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 04, 2013 at 18:00

Tuesday, Jun 04, 2013 at 18:00
Read the detail of the submissions from the CP owners to council ... not only asking for Free Camps to be closed in town, but in the whole shire.

Monopoly anyone?????
FollowupID: 790932

Follow Up By: Member - J&R - Tuesday, Jun 04, 2013 at 21:12

Tuesday, Jun 04, 2013 at 21:12
Monopoly?
With 2 van parks in the one town?
Mono means 1

Imagine the Shire is reassessing its rate payers expectations.
As many Shires are now doing all over Aus.

So let's not dump too heavily on a distant Shire for wanting value for money.

Too many have had it easy, and cheaply, for too long. No free lunches anymore so if you feel aggrieved, go play with your toys elsewhere.

Just imaging if your funds poor Shire was bankrolling hundreds of travellers whose attitude was to take, then hit the road.

As for the argument some have offered about reinvesting in local businesses as a result of being able to free camp in town.....rubbish.

Pretentious claptrap.
FollowupID: 790950

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 04, 2013 at 23:45

Tuesday, Jun 04, 2013 at 23:45
Irrespective of the debate as to whether the council should be in competition with local businesses, and I concede there are arguments both ways, the request to ban any free camping anywhere in the shire is to me just a ploy to force all travellers to stay in caravan parks. Monopoly in my books, whether one or two or three are in the game.

And when all travellers are forced into caravan parks, have no other options even though they have gone to the effort and expense to be able to camp independently of facilities, what then? Go after other government agencies like National Parks as they offer a cheaper alternative?

If you think I'm being paranoid you haven't been in Central or Western QLD during the peak tourist season .... I've have on more than one occasion driven into a reasonably sized town close to sunset to be told "nah mate - nothing here except a pocket sized unpowered site next to the toilet block for $60 a night .... don't like it ? well tough - and the other caravan parks are full - free camps - you've gotta be joking !!" and then face the decision to wither drive on tired with a possible hope there might be something down the road or decide to camp 'illegally'...

Or lob into many towns near the mining belt and be told "sorry no sites available - all rented out to FIFO's mate"

Or one fairly sizeable town in QLD (starting with B) where the only CP is full and they're renting out sites on the shwoground with bugger all facilities and having the hide to charge the same price for a site in the CP.....

And when there are no other options in the shire except motels and CP's watch what happens to the prices....

Not pretentious claptrap - just reality that is already happening in parts of Oz.... open your eyes.
FollowupID: 790956

Follow Up By: Tjukayirla Roadhouse - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 14:13

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 14:13
"The Shire does not prevent people cooking at home because it disadvantages the café, nor prevented people purchasing widescreen televisions which caused the demise of theatres in many towns."

Motherhen, does your Shire provide you with free groceries, or do you have a choice to BUY at the café or the grocery store?
Does the Shire give you free TV's? or do you make a choice to buy one, over going to the theatre?

It's a fact that business's suffer at times due to a false sense of entitlement
FollowupID: 791190

Follow Up By: The Landy - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 15:03

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 15:03
One of the biggest issues and challenges is the fact that we have been pumping out vans and motor homes that are fully self-sufficient and have no need for the services of a caravan park, and nor do people purchasing these vans want to pay the fees that caravan parks need to achieve to stay in business.

And people are paying big money for these vans and have an expectation that they won’t be paying caravan park fees for services “they don’t need”. I get this, but expectations are far too high, and besides should you really expect someone else to “fund” your lifestyle?

However, what has never been addressed is where these people are going to stay if it isn’t in a caravan park. The expectations run high for free facilities provided by “someone”. And the Associations’ promote the theme, become a Caravan and Camper Van friendly town or we’ll by-pass you. This usually means provision of free and reduced fee facilities, despite business in towns already providing this service with capital (their money) invested in it, and rates and council fees that they are barely able to cover.

The pay-off supposedly is patronage of the town. Well good luck if you are a major town, it might just work, but if you are a small town with a small grocery store that is unable to match prices of the large supermarket chains in the larger towns, or the fuel prices, then forget it, there is very little likelihood you’ll get the patronage.

And come on, hand on heart, who is going to pay $10-15 above the odds for a slab of beer if you can pick it up in the next large town cheaper. Many just take the “free camping” and run...

The whole “free camp” ethos centres on the premise that you need to travel for as cheaply as you can so you can do it for as long as you can.

And on caravan parks – The reality is that it costs something like $40-60,000 to develop one caravan site on Australia’s Eastern Seaboard – that is why the cost of staying in a caravan park is what it is. And as for all the other add-on like cabins, family activities and attractions, they are there to attract the clients the parks need to attract. They aren’t making money out of charging $30 a night for a van site.

Many of the baby-boomers travelling today are able to do so because the increase in wealth generated by land values that have increased ten-fold over the past 20 years, have enabled them to purchase the vans and rigs...but this same land value has increased the value of caravan parks, leading to increased rates, but also the need to get a return on the substantial capital invested in them.

There is no such thing as “free camping”...
FollowupID: 791200

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 16:21

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 16:21
Hi Tjukayirla Roadhouse

I'll take the bait :)

As this thread is about Nyngan, Bogan Shire chose to provide free campsites for self contained only rather than a charge a low fee for the very same product which would still have satisfied the CMCA RVFT requirements. For a few campers, not cost effective to have a caretaker to collect fees. Their choice. What facilities are on offer equates to nothing more than a roadside rest area and is nothing like a caravan park and the clientèle are different. Cafés would get nowhere if they prevailed on the Shire to outlaw home cooking so they would have a captive market.

From the point of view of a town, free or low cost campgrounds for people who do not want (and did not intend to use) the services of a caravan park, is like an advertising cost for the community - the businesses who are also ratepayers. These businesses are also employers in the town.

Look at it this way, if you have grocery store, many people walk past the door – potential customers lost. If you have an attraction, super special or freebie, they come through the door to see. Once inside, the quality of your marketing may well attract them to buy this and that and more. That is how self promotion works. If they are not attracted in to have a look they will continue past and may shop at the next store which has something to attract them to want to go in. Free/low cost camping works this way for a town gaining people, many of which will then become customers who otherwise would have driven on and camped at a rest area or the next town which appeals. Businesses in town have not gained that passing potential trade.

Hi Landy

I fully support a caravan park owner/lessee's right to cover costs and make a living and often say so on travel forums when fees are criticised or called rip offs. They also need to market to a target clientèle not try and gain more customers by force. This is negative advertising for them.

With many caravans being built for independence now, people may choose them as an investment to save on camping costs, or they may choose them because they want a very different holiday to going to a caravan park. One small industry sector has no right to try and dictate how people choose to spent their leisure time and their hard earned dollars. In reality most of these van/motorhome owners use a mixture of independent campsites and caravan parks.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 791213

Follow Up By: The Landy - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 16:44

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 16:44
And I’m hearing you Motherhen, however the point I continually make is that pace of development of these vans and motor homes has outpaced the community’s ability, or desire to provide the facilities at the cost this group of travellers wants to pay, or not pay...

I think what we are seeing now is many communities having “tested” the provision of free camping in return for patronage, reassessing that strategy.

I’m all for camping as “freely” and as cheaply as possible, that doesn’t make it without cost.

One thing is for certain though is that caravan parks as we have grown to know and love them are doomed, and where will that leave us? I think the issue needs to be resolved.

But all too often sensible discussion is thwarted by the Associations’ and some of their members attitude that goes along the lines of give it to us for free or we’ll blacklist your town – and I’ll acknowledge there are many fair and reasonable people out there who do the right thing, but increasingly there is evidence of many who’ll take the “freebies” and save the spending to the larger towns, where there is better value for money.

And I certainly appreciate the view points put forward by yourself, there is balance to them...

Enjoy the weekend!

FollowupID: 791216

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 16:56

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 16:56
Hi Landy

That is not in keeping with what I am hearing. There are many reports about caravan parks being full or hard to get a site in, be it due to seasonal peak periods, pressure for accommodation from mining industry employees, or placing cabins on part of their grounds reducing sites for tourists. If a caravan park is getting less customers, they needs to examine their model and marketing. Those in the latter group may be blame throwing as they see their demise from other reasons such as not meeting the needs of the market or loss of customers coming to their town for other reasons.

The great Australian tradition of camping out well and truly pre-dates caravan parks in most towns. People just went camping. Caravans have come in to cash in on the increase of travellers who by then were looking for a few luxuries that needed power. Now travellers can do it cleaner and easier with well equipped rigs. We see people who may buy independent rigs to go out camping where it all began. People have a right to choose.

Cheers

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 791218

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 19:19

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 19:19
Both points of view have valid arguments but in the case of Nyngan
you are talking about 2 votes from the respective caravan park owners but there would have been 30 plus other local businesses votes as well so would it not be fair to assume that it is the will of the locals to close this facility?
FollowupID: 791243

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 19:45

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 19:45
Hi Alby

They did not submit. Maybe they did not care. Maybe they did not know what was going on. Maybe they weren't given the right of reply as Council acted on the letters from two businesses in the same industry.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 791249

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 20:07

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 20:07
That is interesting MH
You would expect the retailers and food outlets would be kicking and screaming if they were not happy with the decision
We were in Nyngan in March and I was talking with a local shop owner who was looking to expand their business but said that the approval process was tedious and slow
I would of thought that they would be encouraging any new business opportunities but the approval process is handled in Bourke and they are probably not that fussed about Nyngan. Needless to say the expansion has now proved unviable.
FollowupID: 791253

Reply By: The Landy - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 14:00

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 14:00
In broader terms I think you’ll find that many smaller communities are discovering that the benefits of providing free camping are just not adding up.

Many are finding that the people looking for free camping in these towns are not actually spending money in the towns.

Take a look at the caravanning show on Aurora TV if you get a chance. The common theme from all the interviews and discussions I have seen “Fred” centre around filling up in larger centres and stocking up at home before leaving or in larger towns with the big supermarket chains.

They usually aren’t spending money at local attractions, but are free camping at small towns whilst on tour.

Someone pays, there is no such thing as “free”.
AnswerID: 512735

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 17:27

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 17:27
Hi Landy,

My local council provides facilities for travellers, paid for out of the rates that we pay. I dont use those facilities myself as I would almost never camp close to home. But most of us who go travelling are also ratepayers either directly or indirectly. So, in principle why is it unreasonable to expect similar facilities when we travel to other local government areas? The facilities are provided by local government, not usually by the communities themselves. Its surely an example of "what goes around comes around". Can we seriously think that no-one from Nyngan or the Bogan shire ever goes looking for a free camp in another LG area?

However I can see that in practice some local government areas will get more demand for free camping areas than others, so the system could break down.

And I do think that we now have a culture of entitlement that applies to all sorts of things, not just to free camps. When someone is travelling in a rig that probably cost close to $150,000 and who will spend several thousand dollars on fuel for a trip but then is reluctant to spend $30 a night for somewhere to park, its simply not a good look.

A whole year of CPs at $30 per night comes in at about $11,000 so in the scheme of things its not a huge cost.

Things that I do think are issues include:

1. CPs that offer poor value for money in terms of the facilities that they provide - either poor facilities or over the top facilities for which they charge top dollar.

2. An expectation that free camps will provide some taste of "the great outdoors" which is not available in the mini suburbia that most CPs are. Sadly many free camps in peak times turn into an equally depressing squash of rigs jammed together, their owners stuck inside watching TV powered by a swarm of generators. Why do they leave home when they just swap one form of suburban living for another?

Travellers who don't do enough research prior to investing in their rig and setting out on their travels. Every day on this forum we see questions asked that would seem to bear out this assertion. Should we ask/expect prospective travellers to be a bit more responsible, better prepared and thoughtful?

The caravan and motorhome technology, builders and marketers being out of step with those who provide the places where these rigs will roost while they are in use. The technology of vans has advanced rapidly and has created a sense of freedom and expectations that the real world is having increasing difficulty meeting. Maybe this is an area where the various industry and user associations need to be more realistic and proactive.

Its a complex issue and one that I fear will not be quickly resolved. I can only hope that those of us who like to to genuinely remote and camp on our own out in the bush will somehow still be able to do so.

Cheers,

Val

J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 791226

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 19:43

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 19:43
We will keep on keeping on Val.

There are many rural towns in inland New South Wales, Victoria and Queensland that open their arms to travellers, and some in the other states too. Some of these have re-invented themselves by doing so rather than become ghost towns, having suffered the ravages of poor seasons and declining farming viability. Then there is the vast outback with plenty of room for camping out in solitude and tranquillity.

Nyngan's neighbour's may gain from this closure.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 791248

Follow Up By: raincloud - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 21:17

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 21:17
well seeing that I started this post maybe we should be looking at alternatives to free camps . what about a web site that encourages c'vanners r/ ver's etc to list their home addresses as being available for other travellers to park at (only when they're home of course).All that would be required as aminimum would be maybe a bit of driveway, power, toilet access and a time limit. Only those offering this facility would be able to use someone elses??? I suppose insurance (public risk etc) dishonesty may be a problem. Just a thought. Maybe someone from woop woop would like to free camp at wherever's place and vice versa?? Le'ts see how many cats this puts amongst the pigeons!!!
FollowupID: 791264

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 22:36

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 22:36
Hi Raincloud

This does happen in a less public way on some of the brand specific caravan websites, and may even occur through caravan clubs. Someone did start such a website, but this failed to go far for different reasons. In the United Kingdom and I think in New Zealand POPs (Park Over Properties) are listed.

So long as no money changes hands and the numbers and days of stay do not exceed local Council by-laws, which do not allow very much, this type of free camping can and does occur. It is just caravanning friends being our guests for a night or two. Many caravans these days have their own solar power, toilets and showers so do not needs anything more than the patch of land.

We have also asked a farmer if we could camp in our self contained caravan in his back paddock when we couldn't find anywhere to stop and my husband had a headache and did not want to drive any further. The friendly farmer lead us to a beautiful spot by a freshwater lake filled with birdlife. It was a perfect campsite.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 791272

Follow Up By: The Landy - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 11:17

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 11:17
Motherhen

Well I’m thinking that caravan parks that are full due to demand for accommodation from the mining industry, who no doubt are paying a “fair price” or reduced sites due to cabins reinforces the view that caravan parks “as we have traditionally known them” has changed.

The reality is the caravan parks that are surviving have changed their model, and it doesn’t necessarily include caravan sites for people who are not willing to pay the price required for the park to get a return on their investment.

And therein lies the dilemma that we may find ourselves in. Less accommodation sites available in van parks for van and motor-home owners, and communities who are now starting to question the model of “free camping”. Sure, in wide open spaces far away from any town it may not be a problem, although, all land will belong to someone, but as the number of people travelling with these rigs increases so will the likelihood of less availability of accommodation.

And don’t get me wrong on this, I am not against people camping as freely as possible, and as you highlight people have been doing it for a long time and it pre-dates caravan parks, but in this day and age it will have its limitations.

Legal issues and insurance it is having a large impact on the decision of many of these communities before taking into account whether the model of providing freebies actually works.

I think Val’s point regarding the builders and manufacturer’s is spot on.
FollowupID: 791510

Reply By: Tjukayirla Roadhouse - Saturday, Jun 08, 2013 at 11:19

Saturday, Jun 08, 2013 at 11:19
One other prob is when services are provided and not used.
Take Winton QLD for example, when we lived around there, Caravans and motorhomes parked across several parking spots in the main st (45 degree angle parking) instead of using the magnificent big caravan and motorhome parking area just behind the main st, or even using a side st. Very bloody frustrating, when ya get into town and can't park because of the vans. On several occaisons I would park right in front of their nose where possible, and then hit the pub for a while.
Oh, and yes, I tow a Caravan :-)

Cheers
Al
AnswerID: 512776

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 11:40

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 11:40
Hi Al,

I have never been to Winton so dont know the layout of the town. So my question is are travellers adequately advised of those services that are provided?

So often off-street parking is available but without good signage etc only the locals know about it. Its easy to blame travellers when often the service providers havent finished their job and followed through by telling customers/clients/visitors about their great work.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 791512

Follow Up By: Tjukayirla Roadhouse - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 11:52

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 11:52
G'day Val, yeah there is signs in place, plus it's pretty obvious when parking across 5 parking spots in the middle of the main st that it's probably not the best option.. haha
I will say though, it is not ALL travellers, just the lazy ones I reckon. :-)

Cheers
Al
FollowupID: 791515

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 13:34

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 13:34
Hi Al

Part of providing a welcoming service to travelling tourists includes good big rig parking near tourist features and shops, and to have adequate signage. We do not mind walking a reasonable way. Many towns that have angle parking do no cater for caravanners, and apart form jagging some room in a side street, if there are five vacant parking spots in a row it indicates that there is plenty of parking so taking this up shouldn't be an issue. The legality of doing so is a different issue.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 791519

Follow Up By: Tjukayirla Roadhouse - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 13:40

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 13:40
Hi MH as I mentioned previously, they have marvelous big parking for vans, it's even shaded.
And while there may be 5 empty spaces now, it's a business centre, people from in town and around the region pop in and out to do business .. so all spots can be full ten minutes later ;-)

Cheers
Al
FollowupID: 791521

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Jul 05, 2013 at 22:29

Friday, Jul 05, 2013 at 22:29
The latest from Nyngan, where this Mayoral announcement this week followed the Council meeting last Friday, where public submissions as well as submissions from local traders were considers.

Nyngan Welcomes Visitors

Since Council’s decision at its meeting on 23 May 2013 to not allow free camping at our showground for self-contained motor homes, campervans and caravans for up to 96 hours (4 days and nights) a lot of emails, letters and adverse comments have come our way.
We would like to take the opportunity to respond to all who have made submissions to us:

1. Nothing has changed. Our attitude to any travellers passing through Nyngan remains that they are welcome to stop, stay and shop in our friendly town. No “gates” have been put up at the entrances to our town to divert anybody.

2. There are a number of areas in Nyngan, some along the highway and main street where self-contained motor homes, campervans, caravans and other travelling vehicles can pull up and stop overnight. Some of these, including the Teamster’s Rest and Flood Memorial Park, have adjacent clean toilets. More information about overnight stopping areas is available from the Nyngan Visitor’s Information Centre based at the Nyngan Museum, telephone 6832 1052 or Council offices on 6835 9000.

3. One of our parking areas, the Teamster’s Rest in our main street has a Waste Dump Point (since 2009) freely available to all self-contained recreational vehicles.

4. Nyngan is a safe town with no law and order problems. We are a 24/7 alcohol free zone – preventing consumption of alcohol along our streets and public car parks, thus making our town much safer for those who choose to stop overnight.

5. We have a “dog off-leash area” between the river and the levee bank near our Engineering depot. Dogs are not allowed at the showground.

6. We have never had the blue RV Friendly Town signs erected on the approaches to Nyngan. There are signs directing caravans to parking areas in the main street on the approaches to town. We have erected a “no unauthorised camping” sign at our showground. Authorised camping arrangements for events and for people travelling with horses can, however, be made by contacting Council on 6835 9000.

7. Not all towns in NSW, or Australia, have the RV Friendly Town signs or agreement / status. Therefore, in all fairness, shouldn’t all those who have contacted and criticised us, direct similar messages to all these towns?

8. Unfortunately, at the showground camping area some campers and travellers were taking advantage of the power and other amenities despite signs advising them of the need to be self-contained.

9. We understand that not all campers and travellers need to, or wish to stay at Caravan Parks. However, Council was not prepared to allow free camping for up to 96 hours at our showground. Some travellers who took advantage of this may have otherwise spent some time at our Caravan Parks.

10. Our Council, town, businesses and people continue to extend a friendly, safe welcome to all travellers passing through Nyngan and hope they will stop, stay and shop.

Ray Donald.........................................................Derek Francis
Mayor.................................................................General Manager
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 514360

Follow Up By: Tjukayirla Roadhouse - Saturday, Jul 06, 2013 at 11:18

Saturday, Jul 06, 2013 at 11:18
All sounds pretty fair to me, and seems they may have gotten fed up with those taking advantage.. so as usual, it's the greedy that have ruined it for others.

Cheers
FollowupID: 793366

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Jul 06, 2013 at 12:34

Saturday, Jul 06, 2013 at 12:34
It has been a roller coaster. First they respond to the businesses wanting trade (this was looked into with other models off successful NSW towns) and go the whole way to meet CMCA RVFT. Then they respond to the caravan parks and abandon the lot. The following month they respond to the backlash and submissions from the other businesses to come up with a compromise. The attempted stealing of power and breaking into amenities was an issue from the very beginning two years ago; as always just a few unscrupulous spoil it for the majority. That did not occasion the closure; it was the campaign from the CPs wanting all of the cake.

The only drawback is having 24 hour only. This means many people pull in for the night and move on next morning. Often when two nights are available, campers choosing to stay are more likely to spend the day browsing in the town, patronise services and go out to lunch or dinner. Maybe that will come. They have listened and a start has been made.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 793372

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Friday, Jul 05, 2013 at 22:54

Friday, Jul 05, 2013 at 22:54
My view is in support of caravan parks that object to Councils providing a free version of their businesses to the public.

If the Councils are happy to accept the large sums of money in the form of rates and taxes from these businesses, the park owners have every right to object to those same Councils setting up in opposition, presumably using that same money gathered from the CPs to set up the showgrounds etc.

If the councils want to do this they should stop collecting rates and taxes.

I feel that we should stop calling these locations Free Camps, they aren't.

They are Rate Payer Funded campsites. If a Rate Payer is in the same business he has every right to object to his rates being used to undermine his business.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 514363

Sponsored Links