Kennedy Development Road

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 02, 2013 at 20:33
ThreadID: 102557 Views:1584 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We're planning on heading to Daimantina National Park from Birdsville and heading up towards Flinders Hwy (Hughenden) then on to Townsville.

Can anyone let me know if the road is (generally, usually) suitable for travel from Diamantina National Park to Hughenden in one day?

Cheers,

Mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robyn R4 - Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 21:31

Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 21:31
I haven't done the first part of your trip, but according to my Camps 6 book, the first part is a "brown dash" road (you know, a very secondary road that they have coded with brown dashes!)...from what we have found in the area, "brown dash roads" are often travelled at about 60ish k/hr...
That means you'd do the first part of your trip by lunch time and then the run to Hughenden after lunch. The very short vegetation on the roadside means that you should have good visibility with roos if you were to come into Hughenden a bit late...
We did the road to Lark Quarry only a few weeks ago and it is a "red dash road"-it was about 80km/h conditions.
The run from Winton to Hughenden was highway and tops stuff. Don't blink at Corfield!
So I'd assume that you'd do it in a day to Hughenden.
Have a burger at the FJ Holden Cafe in Hughenden. Yum!

The road across to Townsville was also good highway conditions.
:)
AnswerID: 512482

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 21:09

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 21:09
Mark,

I'd suggest you could do that trip easily in a day, but a lot would depend on whether you planned to stop at Lark Quarry, and how many Kodak moments you have, on the way to Winton.

The Diamantina River road is mostly built up gravel, claypan and blacksoil/loam surfaces. Other things, other than usual wild life hazards, to watch for are any dried wheel tracks and all dips or creek crossings. The Cork Mail road leaves the River road near Old Cork, and heads across to Cork Station, then heading up the Williams River valley. The turnoff to Lark Quarry, and the Winton-Jundah road, branches off to east, just past Cork Stn.

Due to the dry seasonal conditions, there may have been a lot of road trains carting stock, so there may also be some bulldust patches.

Lark Quarry is worth visiting, and the tour times are 10am, midday & 2pm.

Enjoy your trip, it's a magic part of the country.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 512582

Sponsored Links