Tents under side awnings

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 20:40
ThreadID: 102604 Views:7100 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Have noticed these tents appearing - where you clip on a tent under one of those dime-a-dozen 2.5Mx2.0M pull out side awnings. Anyone got one? What are they like? I'm thinking of taking one when we do the swag trips (no tvan).
Here's the link to the Oztrail from BCF:
Oztrail awning tent

thanks
Phil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 20:44

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 20:44
Should have added a photo:
AnswerID: 512581

Follow Up By: Sapper D - Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 20:40

Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 20:40
G,Day Phill,....Very interested in the awning tent set up, --like you, we move from day to day out in the desert, and the biggest pain in the a...e is putting up and pulling down our full size tent I've noticed another one a bit bigger on ebay, but I suspect these type of shelters may be a bit flimsy, but this one looks like it's worth looking at. There's no denying their practicality, I just wonder at their quality,---I suppose if you've got a good waterproof awning roof then most of the worry is gone, the walls are really only for privacy and mossies aren't they------Good luck, I'll be watching this site hoping you give a "heads up" on your purchase.
Cheers.....Sapper D
FollowupID: 791129

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 18:30

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 18:30
Gday Sapper,
Yeah I also looked at the powerful ones on EBay. But they did not allow the awning to slope, so I'd expect rain to pool in the awning. At least this one slopes so the water runs away. I should get the Oztrail one this coming week so will put it up when I get a chance and let you know what it's like.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 791233

Reply By: Member - Sonshine - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 21:17

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 21:17
We have an ARB awning, and a clip on mozzie tent - i.e., all flyscreen. Works fine. We have also used a throw-up 2 man tent inside it when a bit more privacy or weather protection required. We used it around the West Macs when we left the Van in Alice.
Gaz
AnswerID: 512584

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 21:21

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 21:21
Thanks Sonshine :-)
We'd only use it when it rains or we need the privacy. I didn't consider the insect screen because we mostly do the no-tvan trips in winter.
But these clip-on additions sound simple and easy to me
Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 791025

Follow Up By: Member - Sonshine - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 21:26

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2013 at 21:26
Agree, they look great actually. Would be handy if they allow easy access to the vehicle side door from inside the tent. Looks like Oztrail have a few variations available.
Gaz
FollowupID: 791026

Follow Up By: desray (WA - Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 00:12

Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 00:12
Looks good BUT basically a tent . You can not use the car when its up. Might just as well use a separate tent ,the awning for shade and you can still drive the car if you want to.
FollowupID: 791048

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 14:23

Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 14:23
Gday Des,
Yep, agree with you - but our trips without the Tvan are usually the remote desert trips where we're on the move every day. So the disadvantage of packing it up to use the vehicle won't really matter.

But it looks to me to be fairly light and compact to store - no poles and only a few pegs and no extra ropes. I'm hoping its only a 2 minute job to put up when rain threatens or we're in a crowded campground.
FollowupID: 791100

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 14:13

Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 14:13
Phil,

I had plans to purchase either a tent, or mozzie tent for our Ironman awning. Was more interested in the insect screen, so that we could cook and keep the Diamantina/Cooper flies at bay. However it seems they are 4 sided, obvious to those more astute than I, and we wouldn't be able to open the kitchen on our canopy with the screen in situ.

The Ironman awning has sail track on all four sides Phil, and it appears to be a simple matter to set one up. I will have to work on modifying a screen for our cooking duties. One plus I found with the Ironman was a long LED light strip already fitted. Would be excellent for your intended use.

Good luck with your purchase,

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 512639

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 14:45

Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 14:45
Gday Bob, yeah, I can see your problem. Might be able to get a custom window cut out.

I've gone ahead and ordered one - will see what happens!! I liked the way the awning slopes so the rain can run off - some of the others give you a flat roof which suggests to me I'd still need to take a tentpole and a PET coke bottle to support the middle of the roof!

I do miss the 79series when it comes to setting up for a desert trip - heaps of storage space and no problems carrying the weight.

I've still got to get my head around the 4wd buttons in the 200 - a button to turn off side airbags; another to turn off traction control in sand; then 5 settings on the crawl control and another button to lock the centre LSD. Sheesh - it was much easier pulling the stubbie lever! But I'm sure I'll enjoy the comfort.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 791101

Sponsored Links