octane booster fuel additive /ron of petrol central aust. any facts?

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 00:25
ThreadID: 102608 Views:3404 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
hi, we are shortly to embark on a 4 week central australia adventure/holiday with kids, ex syd.

our tow vehicle is a 2001 nissan elgrand soft 4wd with vq35 (lpg+petrol) engine for which nissan specify >95ron. we are towing a cub 96 offroad camper.

altho i have yet to make inquiries to all towns and the route is subject to roads being suitable for our vehicle (cobar, white cliffs, tibooburra, nockatunga, innaminka, birdsville, bedourie, boulia, tobermoray, jervois) there will be large tracts where neither lpg or (tbc) >95ron fuel are available

if forum members have recent info regarding type/ron of fuel in these towns, or have experience with using octane booster fuel additives I would very much appreciate your suggestions/ideas etc

thanks
Adrian

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mikehzz - Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 07:48

Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 07:48
I did a big loop about 6 years ago in a car that needed premium and had to use octane booster only a few times and only way out in the sticks. I didn't have any trouble but things may differ from car to car. How many kms do you get with the camper on the back with both tanks full? From the list you have given, your biggest questionable hop would be Boulia to Alice, a little over 800kms I think. I'm not sure if you can get premium or lpg at Jervois, others may know. Tobermorey was closed when I went through. I would fill up everything in Boulia plus a 20l jerry and you will probably make it. I'm only guessing your range though.
AnswerID: 512609

Reply By: sweetnam - Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 08:25

Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 08:25
My previous 4wd was a petrol / gas GQ. Although not necessarily requiring a hi RON fuel, I often used octane boost because the timing was so advanced for LPG.

Further, we have 3 petrols coming with us to the Simpson in a couple of weeks and all will be carrying octane boost. The only problem from memory is that one bottle's ratio didn't cover a 75lt tank in the GQ

Obviously it increases the RON regardless but to what extent I cant remember, I think a 300ml bottle is designed for a 60lt tank but depends on what you are filling with, 91, 95, 98 etc

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Nulon-Octane-Booster-Cleaner-300mL.aspx?pid=1150#Cross

I would take a couple of bottles if you can fit them in, from the towns you listed, Cobar will have good fuel, white cliffs has opal (unsniffable unleaded) and the others I don't know for sure. Heading out that way, Cobar and Wilcannia have LPG, White Cliffs and Tiboburra, Innaminka, Birdsville dont from memory
AnswerID: 512612

Sponsored Links