Mt Speculation access

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 14:30
ThreadID: 102617 Views:4880 Replies:4 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
I have to meet some bushwalkers at Mt Speculation in mid to late November, by which time most of the tracks will hopefully be open.
The maps say the track to Lake Cobbler is accessible to two-wheel drives but how serious a 4WD would I need to get over the last bit to Mt Speculation?
Many thanks,
Keith A
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 18:49

Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 18:49
G'day Keith,
You need a high clearance 4WD to go further than Lake Cobbler. Plenty of washaways & steps after the lake.
I reckon you would bottom out a soft roader on this section of the climb from the lake.
Fantastic scenery up there especially if you do some walking.
I would highly recommend the walk to Mt Cobbler. You can do it from the lake or if you want to cut off the first bit of the walk then follow the ridge at the top of the 4WD track near where it levels out a bit after the climb out of the lake area.
Also be sure to stop on your way up to the lake & get some photos of the waterfall that plummets off the cliffs to your right.
Enjoy
Cheers
Stu
AnswerID: 512656

Reply By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 19:14

Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 19:14
I think its 8 years or so since I went down there Keith and its sort of a dead end -you couldn't drive to Mt Speculation.

Drive was pretty easy though , mild 4wd , most high clearance vans could do it (then).

I concur that walk out to MT Cobbler is worth it and also walking to top of the falls , Victorias highest was good stuff.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 512660

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 19:39

Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 19:39
Yep Robin is correct. You cannot drive all the way to Mt Speculation.

Well worth getting out of the vehicle & walking up Speculation to meet the hiking group. Awesome views.
FollowupID: 791120

Reply By: Crackles - Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 20:46

Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 20:46
Keith our local 4x4 club often clear the tracks in the Mt Cobbler area during October so unless there is any serious damage over winter the track out to Speculation will be open Nov 1.
Up to Lake Cobbler I'd call it a rough 2wd route with it deteriorating to an easy 4wd standard for the 4 km to the Staircase turnoff. With careful wheel placement & a bit of scraping most years it could be done in a Subaru but if wet there are several springs that can get boggy across the top.
From there the last 7 km out to the Camp Creek car park have been eroding quite badly over the past few years so requires slow & steady driving in a high clearance 4x4. Lots of rocks, ruts & often tree branches down. From the carpark it's only 700m to the summit with great views extending along the Crosscut saw.
Cheers Craig...............
AnswerID: 512666

Follow Up By: Member - Keith A1 - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 07:27

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 07:27
Thanks to all who replied. I am not up to full-on four-wheel driving so might think about walking the last section. However, Cobbler sounds spectacular and well worth the trip.
Cheers
Keith
FollowupID: 791151

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 09:02

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 09:02
Keith

If you aren't happy going by yourself then why not approach Craig's "local 4x4 club" for assistance. If I was in the area I would love to help but Canberra is a little way off. Two or more cars may be the way to go Keith

What do you think Craig?

Phil
FollowupID: 791165

Follow Up By: Member - Keith A1 - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 11:18

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 11:18
Appreciate the thought Phil, but it would be tricky getting other people involved as we are meeting a group walking the Australian Alpine Walking Track and their timetable could change at short notice for all sorts of reasons. There are other people on the supply team with 4WDS that are a bit more serious than mine (Suzuki Grand Vitara) so I will probably hand over to one of them. Alternatively, the suggestion someone else made of walking the last seven ks is worth a thought as it sounds magnificent country.
The feedback on this site is great as you can't get that sort of detail from maps.
Thanks,
Keith
FollowupID: 791172

Follow Up By: Member - Keith A1 - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 11:25

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 11:25
Appreciate the thought Phil, but it would be tricky getting other people involved as we are meeting a group walking the Australian Alpine Walking Track and their timetable could change at short notice for all sorts of reasons. There are other people on the supply team with 4WDS that are a bit more serious than mine (Suzuki Grand Vitara) so I will probably hand over to one of them. Alternatively, the suggestion someone else made of walking the last seven ks is worth a thought as it sounds magnificent country.
The feedback on this site is great as you can't get that sort of detail from maps.
Thanks,
Keith
FollowupID: 791173

Follow Up By: Crackles - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 17:13

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 17:13
Anything's possible Phil as there's always someone looking for an excuse to go for a drive. The 4x4 club actually did the Cross Cut Saw walk a couple of years ago from King Billy. If you get stuck for options Phil drop us a line.
The Speculation track is not technically difficult as they used to haul logs out that route from the Wonnangatta watershed just it's now washed out & requires vehicles with high clearance.
Cheers Craig.............
FollowupID: 791225

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 08, 2013 at 01:59

Saturday, Jun 08, 2013 at 01:59
Just watch your rear view mirror mate. You may see this coming up behind.

Catchya

Phil

Just cresting Billy Goat Track - Mar 2013

FollowupID: 791280

Reply By: Member - Terra'Mer - Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 23:05

Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 23:05
Ditto the others. It is spectacular up there.

Give yourself a full day to walk up and see the Crosscut Saw, Razor and Viking rather than just drive in/drive out.

Have they opened up the Wilderness Zone for 4WDs now? That's disappointing. Last time I hiked through the old fire trails were closed and growing over. You better check with a ranger managing the Wilderness Zones up there first.

Which way are they walking through? It is a very dry section of the AAWT even in thaw and springs are unrelaible, often contaminated by pigs, cattle and cattleman's horses. They might like some clean drinking water by the time they walk down Speculation.

Cheers
Have you seen my marbles?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 512681

Follow Up By: Member - Keith A1 - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 07:34

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 07:34
Thanks for your input. I have been onto the Crosscut Saw from the Macalister Springs side (and the magnificent toilet with a window at Vallejo Gantner Hut) but never from the other side. The group I am meeting is coming down the AAWT and we would certainly be bringing them some water.
Cheers
Keith
FollowupID: 791152

Follow Up By: Crackles - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 17:04

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 17:04
"springs are unrelaible, often contaminated by pigs, cattle and cattleman's horses."
Terra you can't blame the cattlemen any more for muddying the water as they've been kicked out of the Alpine areas for some time.(Other than the recent trial) You'll find it's the feral deer population that's been exploding in recent years that is the main culprit. And opening up the Wilderness Zone???? There's no wilderness anywhere near Speculation either with 4x4 tracks in this area remaining at the status quo.
Cheers Craig..........
FollowupID: 791221

Follow Up By: Member - Terra'Mer - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 17:54

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 17:54
Hi Craig,
I walked through a cattleman's camp up there on one of my hikes on the AAWT, 4 of their horses were tied up to trees next to the last spring on the track, 3 days walk from Barry's Saddle water tank and they were bogging it up with their hooves and manure. They were bringing 100+ head of cattle and calves down from about 1600m.
I saw deer and goats near water but the pigs, cattle and horses left the worst mess.
There were 3 Wilderness areas zoned when I walked through the first time. I didn't know only one still exists. I just had a quick squizz at some recent topos and also noticed the national parks no longer join up all the way to Walhalla. It was big thing when the Australian Alps Walk was being created in 1989. It has been 4 years since my last walk through there.
Thanks for picking up my mistakes. I'll be spending summer hiking down there so will need to know these things
Cheers
Sorry Kieth for misinformation
Have you seen my marbles?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 791229

Follow Up By: Crackles - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 18:11

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 18:11
Yes back in the late 80's when the Alpine National Park was declared it was planned to link all Parks from Walhalla into NSW. I asked a then senior Parks official was this being done to join significant areas of Alpine bush or was it a great big join the dots exercise. He admitted it was the latter :-) In the end there were several Parks that were not joined like Mt Buffalo.
As a bushwalker back then I agree the cattle were absolutely decimating the springs & creeks as it was near impossible to find clean water anywhere. They had to be removed but as with all things political they went too far.
Cheers Craig...........
FollowupID: 791231

Sponsored Links