Landcruiser Turbo V8 ute

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 22:40
ThreadID: 102630 Views:4207 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Can someone give me some advice? Just started up my 2008 V8 turbo ute and oil has come out the exhaust. It hasn't been ran all day so was started cold. A few days ago it lost powerand blew black smoke but came good. can anyone give me some advice? Thanx heaps
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 22:47

Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 22:47
Rowan

I'm far from an expert on these matters, but could it be your turbo is cactus?
AnswerID: 512679

Reply By: Ross M - Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 23:40

Thursday, Jun 06, 2013 at 23:40
Rowan D1
If the oil seal on the exhaust turbine side it may lose oil directly into the exhaust stream and cause the oil coming out and lots of smoke.
If it is that which is leaking it doesn't get better and a turbo rebuild may be necessary.

The turbo oil drains out of the turbo and MUST have a free run back to the sump, if the hose is damaged, blocked or kinked it will hold residual pressure in the turbo oil sump and instead of quickly draining to sump it builds up and leaks through the seals.

Check the internal condition of that drain system hose and fitting

Has the engine been overfilled with oil?

Also check the PCV engine breather system as it may be blocked and causing engine blowby pressure to build up and restricting the turbo return oil.

Has you engine had an oil change lately and someone has worked on it's hoses associated with the engines systems.
Sometimes/often, people are at fault for causing engine problems.

Ross M
AnswerID: 512684

Reply By: mountainman - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 07:17

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 07:17
get it properly checked, throw the computer on it, as you meantioned it wouldnt start or something.

cant afford to assume something with a expensive engine like that v8 diesel.
AnswerID: 512691

Reply By: member - mazcan - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 11:54

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 11:54
hi rowan d1
a visit to the LC website would give a great deal of relevant imfo for mechanical problems
cheers
AnswerID: 512722

Reply By: Member - DOZER - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 16:05

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 16:05
firstly, check your air filter has not been dusted...and its not into the motor...if it has, you have low compression, causing blowby, causing backpressure, causing oil out the turbo/exhaust.
AnswerID: 512742

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Saturday, Jun 08, 2013 at 07:29

Saturday, Jun 08, 2013 at 07:29
Are you sure it is oil coming out the exhaust. It would be unusual for oil to get all the way to the end of the exhaust. What I have seen is black runny stuff which is just soot that has combined with moisture from condensation inside the steel exhaust pipe.

Soot is normal to be coming out the end of a diesel pipe.

If your engine was burning oil you would see plumes of blue smoke and they would get worse if you revved the motor up. Often a blown motor can be revved up a few times then allowed to drop down and then revved up again and then you will see plumes of blue smoke coming out.

If you just left if for a few days and it blew black smoke when it started this is just unburnt diesel from the motor overcompensating for a cold start. This is very normal as well.

Cheers

Serendipity

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 512769

Sponsored Links