Ostrich Wing Awning...

Submitted: Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 14:27
ThreadID: 102647 Views:8547 Replies:5 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
...does anyone have one of these and if so your comments? Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TTTSA - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 14:43

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 14:43
Hi Rod, I don't have one sadly. But I did cross Madigans Line with a fellow from the Riverland that had one. AWESOME..........very sturdy, massive shade and very quick to open and put away. Nobody else bothered to use their awning for the whole trip, everybody just assembled under the Ostrich at every stop.
He is on Pradopoint forum, maybe worth asking there also.

Cheers
Peter
AnswerID: 512736

Reply By: Member - J&R - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 16:13

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 16:13
Great and innovative option.
Have seen one in action and...whilst quick and offering a large shade area, they would certainly want to be good for the price. They are not the best in the wind and significantly heavier.

I could not come close to justifying that sort of money for a bit of shade.
AnswerID: 512743

Follow Up By: Rod W - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 19:29

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 19:29
Hi J&R, ya know you say about the price back in about 1999 I brought a Quick Shade gazzebo (Australian made) 3m x 3m, and paid $1,100.00 which was a lot of bucks, it has served me well out bush.
A few months ago I brought one of the chinese equivilants but double the size 6m x 3m gazzebos for $300, I erected it at home and have not bothered with it since as it is just too b heavy.
FollowupID: 791244

Follow Up By: Rod W - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 19:34

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 19:34
Its also more that a bit of shade. When its bucketing down on you it the piece of mind to know that you have something that is not going to collapse under the pressure of the rain and wind and provide protection and keep you dry.
FollowupID: 791245

Follow Up By: Member - J&R - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 20:00

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 20:00
I disagree Rod W.
If the rain is coming straight down then ok. Just like any shade awning. Add some wind and no amount of shade is going to keep you that dry. Add a strong wind, then yr better off anywhere but outdoors.

And as for their integrity in strong wind? My observations? Not good. A large sail area, heavy which gets severely buffeted.

In perfect conditions I agree. Great idea.
Less than perfect conditions, as in up here in Broome atm, 20 knot wind and raining I sure wouldn't have it up but would erect my ARB side awning, suitably staked down.

So as I said, expensive with limited use.
FollowupID: 791252

Follow Up By: px ranger - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 21:27

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 21:27
I own an ostrich wing awning and would have to say that they are very good in the wind, if the wind gets to strong the I just fold down the attached pole and then tie it down as well. I also have a full side wall kit so that stops the rain and wind coming in from any side. This awning has survived 2 weeks at windy harbour. They are the quickest and strongest awning in Australia. As for limited use I use mine for work, I use it when I stop for lunch to give me shade while I cook my BBQ, I use it every weekend when my son races motorbikes. I have owned several quick shades from the cheap to the very expensive and my awning is much more practical. Please feel free to show me were you can use your ARB awning that I cant, and I will show you how many more people I can keep dry or shaded than you, the ostrich wing awing is 4.5mtrs wide.

Cheers, Dry and shady
FollowupID: 791266

Follow Up By: TTTSA - Saturday, Jun 08, 2013 at 09:39

Saturday, Jun 08, 2013 at 09:39
Well said px ranger, best bit of shade kit I have seen and used, as said it can be tied down very effectively in windy conditions.
FollowupID: 791287

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 16:32

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 16:32
Very interesting... I am currently looking at these "wing" awnings so have made contact with the distributor with a view to getting one so maybe we can test it out as we have a Ningaloo trip and a Maralinga (yes, Maralinga!!!) trip coming up July - August.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 512744

Follow Up By: Rod W - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 19:38

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 19:38
Hi Michelle, Like many I seen them at the Caravan and Camping show earlier this year. I going to have a look at them tomorrow and I dare say I will leave with one.
FollowupID: 791246

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 20:38

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 20:38
Hi David and Michelle, Ningaloo and Maralinga how come you get to have so much time off and fun, while I go to Queensland with grand kids, lol enjoy your time away I know I shall. but getting back on topic I had a look at them at the caravan and camping show, although I suspect a little heavy for the smaller fourby fours I can see them working well on the larger one's, landcruiser, patrol, I wound up buying an Ironman awning as that was the one that would fit the dimensions of the pathfinder roof rack system would have loved to have gotten the Rhino rack one but I promised I would stay within budget, so I did. the other thing I noticed with that system if you have a tial gate that lifts up and not the barn door type they tend to be rubbing on the canvas when you open the top part of the door and if there is any wind around you are going to get some frapping and may lose paint work off your tail gatetop door
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 791259

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Saturday, Jun 08, 2013 at 11:30

Saturday, Jun 08, 2013 at 11:30
Hi Broodie yes it's about time we did another trip! Actualyy we started looking at the Foxwing & as we do have tailgate doors on the 80 series I will take your comment about rubbbing with the Ostrish into consideration.missed the show but hoping to check it out sometime next week.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 791290

Follow Up By: Member - J&R - Saturday, Jun 08, 2013 at 13:23

Saturday, Jun 08, 2013 at 13:23
To ExplorOz Team - Michelle
You mention you have 'have made contact with the distributor with a view to getting one so maybe we can test it out'

Are we to assume you will have one on loan and will be conducting an unbiased assessment of the product for the benefit of all members or do you mean you are purchasing one so your opinion will be based on having already spent the money?

Just wanting to clarify your position in this exercise.
FollowupID: 791296

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 21:16

Friday, Jun 07, 2013 at 21:16
Nice looking product, but at $1,500- they are about twice the price of a Foxwing.
It still needs poles and tie downs in strong winds.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 512756

Follow Up By: TTTSA - Saturday, Jun 08, 2013 at 09:43

Saturday, Jun 08, 2013 at 09:43
John, what portable shelter doesn't need tie downs and poles in strong winds? All the side awnings need poles even with no wind and are a PITA to put up and down by yourself.
No such drama with the Ostrich, convenience always costs money.
FollowupID: 791288

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 12:44

Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 12:44
Just an update - we took a look at the Ostrich Wing and David was impressed with how robust it is but logistically we can't own one so have decided against it. Would love to have one when travelling but its just not practical for our circumstances.

The way the awning is mounted, it can't be mounted just to roof rack bars and therein lies the problem for us. It has to be mounted to a roof tray basket as it uses the frame for support. Whilst we have one that suits, we have no clearance in our garage for anything that sits above the tray and because David likes to carry things on the roof (building supplies, kayaks etc), we typically leave the roof tray off the vehicle when we're at home. But even then we don't use the roof tray for all trips - eg. we couldn't even take the awning on our upcoming trip to Ningaloo as we carry 2 kayaks on the roof racks. But that's ok - we've lived without on for this long, I'm sure we'll continue to cope :)
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 513715

Follow Up By: px ranger - Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 13:21

Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 13:21
Hi Michelle, there is a guy in far north Queensland that has an Ostrich Wing Awning fitted to a Prado with 3 rhino load bars. There is no problem with fitting it to load bars, the supplier just supplied him with a different rear angle bracket to suit. Maybe your difficulty is that you require 2 different types of installation (1 to a basket roof rack and 1 to roof bars). From what I have seen, it could be set up to do what you require, it just might be a bit fiddly.

Cheers
FollowupID: 792602

Sponsored Links