Sunday History Photo / SA-Vic

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 09, 2013 at 05:14
ThreadID: 102667 Views:2168 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
The border between the Australian states of South Australia and Victoria was established in 1836 by imperial letters patent "as the 141st degree meridian of longitude east of Greenwich". Due to human error by numerous explorers and surveyors, it took more than 75 years and a protracted legal dispute before the precise placement of the border was settled, resulting in the forfeiture of more than 500 square miles of territory from South Australia to Victoria. In 1914, after a successful appeal to the United Kingdom's Judicial Committee of the Privy Council, a sum of £215,000 was awarded to the state of South Australia and the legal dispute was ended.
Following the establishment of the colony of South Australia in 1835, the region between the coast and the Murray River was rapidly being settled by squatters selecting large runs for sheep grazing. With no clear border legal oversight was impossible. An accurate border needed to be defined. The earliest relevant reference to the eastern boundary of South Australia is contained in a despatch dated 30 September 1844 from Governor Grey of that Colony to Lord Stanley. The Governor reminded the Secretary of State that it would be extremely difficult to determine with accuracy a number of points upon the earth's surface through which the 141st degree of East longitude passes, and pointed out that in addition to difficulty there would be attendant expense both in ascertainment and maintenance.




In 1839 Charles Tyers was transferred from the Royal Navy to the Colonial Service and instructed by Sir George Gipps, the Governor of New South Wales, to ascertain the precise longitude at the mouth of the Glenelg River so that a distance to the 141st meridian (the eastern border of South Australia) could be measured.
Several months later Tyers completed a survey from Melbourne to the Glenelg River and on an expanse of sandy beach he formed a broad arrow with limestone rocks. This became known as Tyers' Mark and was used to determine the starting point for the border survey. Due to primarily inadequate equipment this was later determined to be 2 miles and 4 chains in error.

For several years following Tyers' survey no action was taken to extend his work but by 1845 the need to have the boundary line defined on the ground had become urgent, particularly to the east of Mount Gambier. South Australian pastoralists had worked their way east from the coast and there were disputes when they met pastoralists from the Wimmera country pushing their way westwards with flocks of sheep.

There was uncertainty as to which Government should grant pastoral licenses to the squatters and which had legal control. In November 1846 the Colonial Secretary's Office directed surveyor Henry Wade to proceed from Sydney to the disputed territory to define a "Boundary for Police Purposes".
By March 1847 Wade had got his party of seven and equipment at the mouth of the Glenelg River. He was joined by assistant surveyor Edward White who had been appointed by the South Australian government to act as an observer on its behalf.
After much deprivation and hardship due to drought and reluctance by his men to continue with poor work conditions, Wade was still 155 miles from the Murray River after nine months of swamp, sand dunes and broken equipment. The expedition collapsed at the 36th parallel of latitude. On 16 December 1847 the South Australian Government published a proclamation that the "line as marked on the ground" by Wade should be "deemed and construed" to be the eastern boundary of South Australia. In March, 1849 New South Wales issued a proclamation in similar terms. Wade later died in 1854.
As the survey was only partially completed the two colonies were in agreement that surveyor White should complete Wade's line to the Murray River as soon as possible. This was doubly urgent as the state of Victoria was to be proclaimed within twelve months further complicating legal and later political matters.



In August 1849 the extension from Wade's line was begun. White and his party of five were similarly troubled by the severe nature of the Big Desert mallee country: where there was little water in 1847 there was none two years later. Within two weeks mutinous men had deserted him and two of his three horses collapsed from being without water for four days. White led the other until it also lay down, he himself was also on the verge of collapse but he managed to bleed the horse and drink half a pint of the blood. Lost, he did not know how far from the Murray River he was but he managed to stagger on for about two miles to find himself on the riverbank at the border of three states and the survey completed. After drinking and resting he retreated back to the dead horses and collecting his saddle and bridle he returned to the river, managed to cross it and borrow a horse at Chowilla sheep station. He rode 180 miles to Adelaide and filed a report on the survey. White died three years later.
Doubts as to the accuracy of the Wade-White line grew with the availability of better astronomical equipment and the advent of the telegraph. As a result of appointments of Government Astronomers in Sydney and Melbourne there were far more precise values for the longitudes of these places and hence the 141st longitude of the legal border.
By agreement an expedition left Adelaide in April 1868 for Chowilla near the Murray River and the border. It was led by George Smalley, N.S.W. Government Astronomer and Charles Todd South Australian Superindentent of Telegraphs. The purpose was to make transit observations of eleven stars whilst similar observations were made in Melbourne and Sydney. Whilst Tyers had used a small three inch theodolite this expedition had a 45-inch telescope, the largest available portable device in Australia at the time.
As a result of their observations Smalley and Todd declared the new 141st meridian. This led to the discovery that the proclaimed border on the ground was at least two miles and 19 chains to the west of the more accurate measurement of the 141st meridian. The "Disputed Territory" as it was termed between the surveyed border and the actual 141st meridian contained over 500 square miles of land. By 1849, 47% of it had already been sold freehold or leased out by the Victorian Government. If the more accurate border were adopted, Victoria would not have owned the land to be able to sell or lease it. This was the beginning of the battle of the Disputed Territory, a bone of contention which was to last for more than forty years.



The South Australian Government did not let the matter rest. In 1874 it suggested the value of the land was about £800,000. Between 1883 and 1893 South Australia sent more than 70 letters or telegrams to Melbourne seeking Victorian relinquishment or financial redress. There were many futile conferences. The nearest to an agreement between the two states was in 1908. Then it was decided, subject to ratification by parliament, that £215,000 should be regarded as compensation to South Australia. Parliament did not ratify the proposal, nor did anything come of the 1909 South Australian premier's plan to send surveyors to subdivide some of the land on the east of White's marked border, the last "legally proclaimed" border.



South Australia finally abandoned all hope of settlement, due to Victoria's intransigence, and in 1911 it appealed to the High Court only to have the appeal dismissed. In 1914, it resorted to an appeal to the Privy Council which unanimously ruled in favour of Victoria. When the railway line was built from Melbourne to Adelaide, a station was built in the disputed territory and paid for equally by both governments to provide a place for the exchange of locomotives and crews. While this station is no longer used, the building remains in the tiny town of Serviceton.


.
still going strong with 836,179 K's

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 11 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 09, 2013 at 08:03

Sunday, Jun 09, 2013 at 08:03
Thanks Doug

Great work

Alan
AnswerID: 512823

Reply By: Member - Terry W4 - Sunday, Jun 09, 2013 at 08:10

Sunday, Jun 09, 2013 at 08:10
I look forward to these every Sunday morning with a cuppa.
AnswerID: 512825

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Sunday, Jun 09, 2013 at 09:37

Sunday, Jun 09, 2013 at 09:37
Thanks for the story Doug - they certainly knew how to have a 'bun fight' in those days.
As for Serviceton - that station is a beauty - a big rambling place, with cellars, huge kitchens and halls (it even had a morgue). Some state government money has been spent in recent years to maintain the place. The building still gets hired for the occasional function and one of the locals will show visitors through the place. Several trains still roar through daily at about 110kph, so there is a fence (of sorts) on the platform.
AnswerID: 512829

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 18:42

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 18:42
For those interested in further reading there is a very good book from Westprint, The Disputed Country (scroll down a bit.) It has 10 pages of notes at the back for travellers in the area.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 512917

Reply By: Nicko 57 - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 22:08

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 22:08
Hi Doug

The border track is a top drive as well, the book The Disputed country has good info as well,and Serviceton station is a very interesting place.

joe
AnswerID: 512930

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)