WA Gun Laws

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 09, 2013 at 15:11
ThreadID: 102677 Views:3408 Replies:5 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Any Sandgroupers on board who are also shooters?
If so, could you advise on firearm ownership in WA please. I've heard there is an additional requirement for registration over and above a usual State issued Firearms Licence, but am unsure. A search revealed diddlesquat.

Ta
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, Jun 09, 2013 at 15:41

Sunday, Jun 09, 2013 at 15:41
Gday,
I recently moved form NT to WA and are still going through the licencing bull bleep !
WA does not recognise licences from any other States and you will need to re apply for a firearms licence.
Im not sure what you would call "usual" as rules change from state to state and you haven't said what state your from or wether your planning on staying or visiting?
All the info should be on the WA Police site? Ill have a look and post a link.

Cheers
AnswerID: 512846

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, Jun 09, 2013 at 15:42

Sunday, Jun 09, 2013 at 15:42
try this
FollowupID: 791374

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Sunday, Jun 09, 2013 at 16:50

Sunday, Jun 09, 2013 at 16:50
Thanks Cobber

From Qld. Had a look through that site, but couldn't find anything other than the usual gumph regarding obtaining a licence.
FollowupID: 791381

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Sunday, Jun 09, 2013 at 16:51

Sunday, Jun 09, 2013 at 16:51
PS

Just visiting and more or less in transit from WA to NT and back to QLD
FollowupID: 791382

Follow Up By: Travelinglew - Sunday, Jun 09, 2013 at 17:12

Sunday, Jun 09, 2013 at 17:12
Gday,

My vague understanding, I also now live in Qld, is that you need to have permission from the WA commissioner of police (weapons licensing branch) before you enter the state. They will not allow you to carry for any reason other than going to an organized shoot. You can not obtain permission after entering the state and you can be charged with firearm offenses if you have not obtained permission.

Having said that, I do know of a number of people who have tucked their gun away in in-car secure storage (as it should be anyway) and gone through the state without any permission to have the firearm. They work on the presumption that they will not be pulled over so no one will ever know.

I do have a gripe with this as I would have hoped that the national gun laws would have solved issues such as this but this country will never see cooperation between states for anything like this or car registration or education or a single police force etc etc etc

Lewis
FollowupID: 791384

Follow Up By: GimmeeIsolation - Sunday, Jun 09, 2013 at 18:03

Sunday, Jun 09, 2013 at 18:03
Don't even get caught with a slingshot/ging in W.A.
It is nothing like Queensland gun laws here.
You never know when the coppers are having a bust at the S.A. or N.T border or up the highway near mining towns and they have dogs that like to sniff for all that stuff.
You can take a chance but they will ruin your holiday and will treat you like a terrorist which a lot of the people in this state like.
They do not allow hunting on crown land in W.A. so the assumption is your a real scary baddie that has a problem if you are a shooter.
S.S.A.A. member.
FollowupID: 791387

Follow Up By: Ross M - Sunday, Jun 09, 2013 at 19:27

Sunday, Jun 09, 2013 at 19:27
Rosco
They do checks at caravan parks too, not just borders and near mining towns.
If you are interstate plated then they LOOK.

FollowupID: 791390

Follow Up By: Member - J&R - Sunday, Jun 09, 2013 at 20:04

Sunday, Jun 09, 2013 at 20:04
We travelled from the ACT to WA in July last year.
On top of the usual fruit and vegetable inspections (3 times I think) we were inspected 1 time by WA Police (the border near Kununurra) for firearms (with dogs) and 2 times for drugs (with dogs).

During the inspections there were 2 Police observers and 1 with the dog.

You would have to be a brainless moron to try nowadays.
FollowupID: 791391

Follow Up By: get outmore - Sunday, Jun 09, 2013 at 20:22

Sunday, Jun 09, 2013 at 20:22
Unless its changed I just flew into kalgoorlie with my pistols and the cop shop held onto them for free while my 30; day application went through.
Wa has the easiest to deal with pistol requirements
FollowupID: 791392

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, Jun 09, 2013 at 20:22

Sunday, Jun 09, 2013 at 20:22
When I was moving I tried to get a WA licence so I was legal traveling over.......No go.
When I got here I tried to register them and get a licence.....No go!
I've had to surrender my guns to a gun shop while I'm waiting for my licence.
Since then, Ive had a call from the NT police enquiring why I have firearms and no licence. When I told them they were in storage in WA, their comment was "no worries we will take them off our records then! In other words......I could have said nothing to WA firearms and kept my guns until my licence came through............it doesn't reward the honest in my opinion!!!!
AS others have said.......Its too hard to do legally and to risky to sneak them through.
Your call mate.
FollowupID: 791393

Follow Up By: Darren H1 - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 13:11

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 13:11
Don't even get caught with a slingshot/ging in W.A.
It is nothing like Queensland gun laws here.

If you do tell them it is bait and burley thrower, that is how they are sold there.
FollowupID: 791447

Follow Up By: Tjukayirla Roadhouse - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 15:04

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 15:04
we at one time, had a staff member travelling from interstate, the process got that bad, not even allowed to buy ammo, that he just gave up and left it.
Also have mates in a small town over here that regularly get police knocking on their doors with no notice, to go and check their gun safes.
FollowupID: 791456

Reply By: member - mazcan - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 11:52

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 11:52
hi rosco
as a previous gun owner who decided to hand mine in during the gun buy back a few years ago
I clearly remember what used to be written on the license
you are not permitted to shoot
from/ across or onto a rd way
no shooting on crown/govt land (which is now called national parks)
do not shoot on private property without first obtaining owners written or verbal permission
and no shooting within a town boundary

I dont think much has changed in w.a with above laws
honest people handed in their weapons in during buy back
but others either sold theirs on the black market or hid them
some states back in early days didn't have gun licenses and from memory S.A
was one and a lot were brought over to w.a and never registered
when the buy back started I said it wont stop the crooks from getting or using guns
and also I said that knives would be used in attacks instead and are readily available just about in every shopsome of my friends didn't believe me ??
knives weren't used very often prior to the buy back
but are now used in just about every hold or attack together with either stolen or illegal weapons
just recently in the news w.a police stated that there is now more than 3 times the amount of guns in w.a and more illegal ones than ever before the buy back scheme
so nothing has been achieved
unless you apply for a license or permit before bringing your firearms when coming to w.a either to work or travel
face the consequences if you are stopped
remember the old movie in which the mother gave advice to her son she said and
I quote
don't take your guns to town son
leave your guns at home son
don't take your guns to townnnnnnn

the message is still relevant today

take it or leave it for what it's worth
cheers
AnswerID: 512886

Reply By: Rod W - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 14:21

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 14:21
So what do you need them for? Why do you need to bring them? And what are you going to shoot at?
AnswerID: 512894

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 20:01

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 20:01
I've heard it's open season on Greenies ....

Settle down all .. only joking. It's more about our next stop-over in NT.
It's just that we will be traveling through WA first.
FollowupID: 791486

Follow Up By: Norm C (WA) - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 22:20

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 22:20
If your a member of SSAA look up a competition that may interest you
and apply for a temperary permit to participate in that or other competitions. Its really not that hard and I doubt you would be refused.Just be honest with the Police / Firearms Branch and yourself and no problem.After the comp you can continue onwards to NT.We have recently held a National comp. here in WA with a bunch comming from most other states with no hassels
Norm
FollowupID: 791491

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 07:08

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 07:08
I'm not a shooter but this thread seems to resonate with the same issues we have in other areas such as vehicle modifications, every state does something different.

Isn't it time to have a national licensing system and standard laws for gun owners, same for a national driving license system and vehicle compliance standards to name but a few areas.

Just bloody stupid that you have to jump through different hoops every time you cross a state border.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 512938

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 12:23

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 12:23
Well ... after all the tales of woe and damnation, I did what I undoubtedly should have done in the first place and went straight to the horse's mouth .. W A Police Firearms Licencing Branch.

A simple matter of applying for a temporary permit (download the form on-line) which isn't a problem when you can tick all the right boxes that you're not a crim or a terr.

And wait for it .............. IT'S FREE !!
AnswerID: 512948

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 13:47

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 13:47
And there's more ..........

I emailed off my application, apologised for the lateness of same and asked nicely if they could expedite it as we are leaving next Thursday.

A scanned copy of the permit arrived by email within the hour.

What a top bloke I say.....

Nick Holberton
Acting Sergeant 7714
Licensing Services Firearms
Assessment Supervisor / Imports and Movements Officer
FollowupID: 791524

Sponsored Links