David Carnegie Rd, Eagle & Gary Hwys & Gunbarrel Hwy road update.

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 09, 2013 at 17:20
ThreadID: 102681 Views:1913 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Our 3 desert trip three weeks ago saw us travel on the David Carnegie Rd on 18 May and up to a few K's north of Empress springs it was in good condition. North from here the track deteriorated with some serious washouts. Corrugated and a bit overgrown in some spots. We copped the rain shadow and as we headed further north towards the Gunbarrel the track became muddy and the claypans were filling. I was tail-end Charlie in a convoy of 6 so by the time I got to some of the wet spots the ruts where quagmires. Crossed the Gunbarrel onto the Eagle Hwy.

Just past the Mungilli abandoned outstation the track is pretty beaten up and we made it worse as we had to traverse a really muddy section which I nearly got stuck in. So if the track has since dried up you'll see our tracks. From this point we encountered a number of deep muddy clay sections which had us heading in all directions no matter how slow and careful we were. By the time we made camp 3 of us had lost passenger side wing mirrors.

Weather fined up from here and so did the track with some excellent sections allowing speeds up to 60-70km/hr before the inevitable washout. From the Warri Site turn-off North the track again had some washouts and spinifex in the centre hump.

At the southeast dogleg turn the track became very overgrown in parts with many deep washout sections to be negotiated. (Scenery great and ever changing). Once past the washouts the track became excellent with relatively fast speeds available.

We camped 23 km from Gary Hwy and the road from this point to the Gary was fantastic and almost a race track if you wanted it to be. Thousands of little anthills were on either side of the track and the vegetation was ever changing. Brilliant country.

The junction of the Eagle and Gary Hwys is pretty open as the country is in a state of regeneration after what looked like last year's fires. The Gary south from here is a very very good road with few corrugations and no washouts to speak of. Lake Cohen was dry but looked like it could be an interesting place when filled. There is evidence that the country can become very boggy after rain if the Dawson''s 2005 Tour commemorative plaque is anything to go by.

ReachingEverard Junction at the crn of the Gary Hwy and Gunbarrel Hwy it looked like a slaughter yard with numerous decaying camels. The result of an aerial cull.

Signed the visitors book and took the obligatory photo's of the Len Beadell replica plaque.

The GBH west from here was very good to reasonably good as far as Geraldton Bore (good quality water), from here the track deteriorated quickly with many sections having up to 4 lanes of corrugation options. Definitely was a case of the good, the bad, and the darn right ugly. Corrugations faded out as we approached Mungilli Claypan (stop and walk over the surface, when we were there the hard clay was like rich smooth chocolate). We camped at the junction of the Eagle, DC & GBH for the night.

The GBH from here was in excellent condition overall with the odd minor corrugated bit and muddy puddle sections. When you reach the Shire of Wiluna boundary the road is well maintained and was in excellent condition.

The Carnegie Wongawol Rd which is the extension of the GBH was excellent. We turned south down the Windidda Prenti Downs Rd and then the Prenti Down Rd to the Warren Bore Rd which took us back to the GCR and all points home.

All up an excellent area to travel with all manner of road conditions. As they say drive to the conditions and allow for those unforeseen incidents and enjoy the ride, scenery and experience.

Cheers

Dunc.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: equinox - Sunday, Jun 09, 2013 at 19:33

Sunday, Jun 09, 2013 at 19:33
Thanks for the report Dunc, it sounds like you had a really good trip.

That top end of DCR is always a bit of a challenge in the wet, glad you made it through. That's the first update on the "southeast dogleg" on the Eagle that I've heard for a while.

I'd like to drive on the Warren Bore Road one day. Anyway glad you made it back safe.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 512856

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Sunday, Jun 09, 2013 at 20:31

Sunday, Jun 09, 2013 at 20:31
Hi Alan,

The Warren Bore Rd is a really good drive and the views from the jump-up are spectacular. There is also a long system of breakaways just begging to be explored relatively close to the road, unfortunately our travel plans didn't permit a closer look. Maybe another day.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 791395

Reply By: Life Member - Phil B (WA) - Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 00:55

Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 00:55
Hi Dunc,

Thanks for the report -t sounds like you had a most enjoyable trip. Anywhere out there is magic country and isn't it great to travel over new ground and constantly be surprised.

I'm sure you get 'why are you going out there; there's nothing there' comments. If only they knew.

all the best
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 512868

Sponsored Links