Advice: Auto Lecky NSW or Diagrams - C-Tec or Redarc Many Questions

Submitted: Monday, Jun 10, 2013 at 22:01
ThreadID: 102703 Views:3259 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys,

Really need some tried,tested and trusted advice about getting the electric set-up in our CT right.
Basically we are packing up the house and heading off around Australia for at least 2 years maybe more, so looking for a pretty decent set-up that we make the CT as much as a long term home as we can make it. We has purchased a Redback CT and are planning to make it into a complete campsite type of CT, but by doing or at least organising much of the internal workings ourselves we should get a customised CT with simular mod cons for a more reasonable price.

Currently the biggest budget blower we have come across is the electrical side. To give you an idea of what we are looking at we currently have a duel battery system in the 4wd on a Redarc smart solenoid. I will be running a 90lt fridge in the 4wd. The main issue is that the fridge/freezer only lasts about 2 days from fully charged and I really want to be completely self-sufficient. So I think I will add another battery in the 4wd. I’m thinking the set up should be: 3 batteries in the 4wd one crank, 1 deep cell (already in there) and 1 deep cell (to be added) to help with the dual battery system all to charge from the alternator/ solar and a mains plug (from the camp trailer) when at a camp site or generator. And one battery in the trailer to run the LEDs and USB ports inverter etc.
I want to be able to add 3x 60w solar panels on top of the trailer to charge all the batteries when in the bush or if the charge drops to low I can put the generator on the mains inlet to charge them all.

As you might be able to tell I’m not 100% on if this is the right set-up (C-tec/Redarc) and alas I must admit find all this a tad confusing at times! So if you have any thoughts on the above please don’t hold back!! Nut my main question are:
Can anyone recommend a good but not overpriced auto electrician around the Hunter/Central coast/SYD Region to do the wiring on our CT. We are based in the Newcastle area and willing to travel 2 hours north or south to try and keep within the budget. We can also can supply equipment to keep cost down.
Or if anyone is any good at doing up wiring diagrams and feeling the need to help to wannabe nomads get off into the bush in style without breaking the bank, we would be extremely grateful if you could help us with working out the diagrams.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Patrol22 - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 11:19

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 11:19
Just in case someone doesn't come up with a tailored solution for you, you should be able to find what you are looking for HERE, HERE, HERE or HERE
AnswerID: 512945

Reply By: Member - Wozikev - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 11:58

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 11:58
I would have a very close look / think about the Redarc BMS 1215 unit. BMS meaning battery management system. I installed one three years ago in my caravan and it has been absolutely brilliant. It looks after my two AGM storage batteries whether I'm plugged in to 240v, or driving with 12v, or parked up with the solar panels. Once you wire it in, it's set and forget, with no more to do. It comes with an excellent display with 'state of charge' (100% or 94% etc) and any out going load (2amp, 7 amp etc) so I always know what's hapenning. When it comes to power supply, you can't beat data, and the BMS keeps you well informed. There's nothing worse than looking at a nice black battery or two and wondering where you're at.

I paid about $1600 for mine but the same unit now is down to about $1100 on Ebay with two years warranty. Still a bit exxy, but damn good, and certainly peace of mind. If you decide to go down this path, please don't hesitate to contact me if you think I can be of further help to you.

No affiliation, just a very happy customer. Cheers .................... Kev.
AnswerID: 512946

Reply By: Mick O - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 17:29

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 17:29
Have a look at these two;

Building a 12 Volt power system for your 4x4 camper

Redarc BMS and BC-DC review

Cheers Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 512957

Reply By: marq - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 20:23

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2013 at 20:23
In the vehicle I have a BCDC1220 charging a 105Ah AGM (special designed to also crank in emergencies)

I run 25mm2 twin (min 6B&S required) to the rear with 120A Anderson plugs to the camper.

On the camper is a BCDC1240 with 2x105Ah AGM batteries.

Note get the LV versions of the redarc chargers.

You don't need the fancy $$ redarc the BCDC1220LV or BCDC 1240LV will be fine.
AnswerID: 512965

Sponsored Links