4x4's under 15 grand

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 19:14
ThreadID: 10274 Views:3211 Replies:9 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
What's the best 4x4 for comfort, features and reliability under 15 grand? there seems to be a huge gulf between crappy old bombs and decent 4x4's with nothing much in between. 15 grand seems to get a mid 90's jeep/land rover with around 150,000km on it. whereas a patrol, pajero or land cruiser aroudn the same age and mileage (or kilometerage) are around 20 grand.

At the moment i'm looking at spending 15 grand to get a jeep limited with around 12 - 150,000km on it with a 3 year warranty (pays first 2 grand repair on engine, 1 grand repair on most other items). this to me seems like a pretty safe option. what do you reckon?

Also, I'm after people's specific opinions on jeeps. They seem to be quite good value for money for early to mid 90's cherokees (say around 11-15 grand). are parts much more expensive for non-nissan/toyota cars? personally i find patrols and land cruisers too bulky and truck like. the toyota hilux's are good size but have insufficient leg room.

is it worth my while paying an extra several hundred to get a warranty on a 4x4? i'm not going to punish the vehicle like your average 4x4 nut. i sorta only want it to drive to and from work and camping holidays several times a year (not crossing the desert or anything just yet).

Any opinions would be appreciated
Cheers
Riles

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gajm - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 20:26

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 20:26
Can't help you with your query, but i wanted to say i don't know too many people that spend $20,000 upwards and "punish the vehicle like your average 4x4 nut", I personaly invested a lot of time and money in my GQ and I intend to look after it, which doesn't mean I still cant go 4wding. I also want to know just what an average 4x4 nut is like.

Glenn
AnswerID: 45468

Follow Up By: riley - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 20:49

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 20:49
oops. sorry. i used a bit of a loaded term in 'nut'. i should have said 'enthusiast'. as for what my opinion of an average 4x4 enthusiast is like... i guess i shouldn't have used the term 'average' either. so, i'll present my explanation as follows:
a mate of mine has a range rover that he has extensively modified and takes it on 4x4 meets and courses and puts the vehicle in slightly more comprimising positions than i will ever expect to find myself in.
i shouldn't generalise, but i expect many 4x4 drivers are not unlike this, with the exception of toorak tractor types... i fall somewhere in between.

so back to my original question. anyone got an opinion on my original post?

cheers
riles

p.p.s my said mate's name is also glenn
FollowupID: 307564

Reply By: Eric.- Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 22:45

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 22:45
What state are you in ?Venus Bay
AnswerID: 45491

Follow Up By: riley - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 07:07

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 07:07
I'm in Victoria, Eric.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Would love to hear any more...
FollowupID: 307595

Reply By: Eric Experience. - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 22:54

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 22:54
Riley.
The resale value of any vehicle is a good indication of its perceaved worth as a vehicle, so if you can get a cheap unit it will be less cost efective than a dearer unit in the long run. The jeep is not as nice or as reliable as the pajero for example, so I suggest that you borrow the extra 5k and get the pajero because over the life of vehicle you will end up with more money and less hassles. Eric.
AnswerID: 45494

Reply By: ross - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 23:00

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 23:00
The Jeep wouldnt be a bad choice.They dont have any unknown problems or vices.Theyve been in production in the USA for 20 years so any bugs have well and truly been sorted out
They are also comfortable and fast enough for city traffic and have good basic offroad capabilities.
The parts arent cheap but what 4x4 parts are?
There is a widening selection of used parts beginning to appear.
Just make sure you get one that has proven serviceing.
Downsides are the heavy fuel consumption and lack of load capacity in rear.
The rear wheel bearings roll directly on the axle (no sleeve)and when the bearing goes past its useby date it causes the axle to overheat and need replacing at $600 +bearing .The axle has a thickened section to partially compensate for this but still cant be ignored as long as the normal setup.
Another vehicle in that price range I would look at would be a swb patrol/maverick.
I never use those warranty insurances.As long as Im sure about a motor/gearbox the rest I can handle.
AnswerID: 45497

Reply By: Brian - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 07:43

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 07:43
I would go for a Patrol/Maverick... good value for money, and if (when?) you decide to "go harder" at the 4X4 stuff, you will have a very capable truck. We bought ours originally intending to only go sand driving on Fraser Island, but now regularly do bush tracks, rock crawling, creeks etc....

As far as the warranty thing goes.. we bought ours with a twelve month QVWN warranty... had to have the cooling fan clutch coupling replaced, was done no hassles at all!!!

Just my opinion
Cheers
Brian
AnswerID: 45525

Reply By: Billy - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 08:16

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 08:16
Jackaroo?All aboard!
AnswerID: 45528

Reply By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 11:05

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 11:05
Kia Sportage?? (Year 2000+, "longbody")
AnswerID: 45535

Reply By: jeff-wa - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 13:33

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 13:33
There are heaps of good 4bys out there for that price range, but don't skimp on off road ability ("cos I'll never find myself in that situation"). I bought a little daihatsu as my first 4by, just so I could do a bit of beach driving etc. Lucky for me the beast went everywhere I took it, because after my first trip out I was hooked and just wanted more and more! ;-)
And those situations that you think you would never get into have a way of somtimes arising when you least expect it.
Is'nt that right everyone? ( * YEEESSS * )
Good luck and have fun!
AnswerID: 45543

Reply By: Eric.- Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 22:42

Sunday, Feb 08, 2004 at 22:42
15 k , its simple , GQ patrol or Maverick . 15 K will get you around a 94 95 model petrol . and around a 93 dieselVenus Bay
AnswerID: 45925

Sponsored Links