Rear Caravan Camera

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 13, 2013 at 12:54
ThreadID: 102748 Views:2344 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have now ruled out purchasing a wireless camera so I would like feedback from EO users who have a rear caravan camera connected to a GPS device such as a Hema HN6 using the 2.5mm AV in port.
Thank you.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: BARRY F2 - Thursday, Jun 13, 2013 at 18:23

Thursday, Jun 13, 2013 at 18:23
bought one from ebay wired in type with 2 av inputs, it works great, installed switch in car to turn on caravan camera while driving, the only thing the cameras are only 120 degress and I reckon you need 170 degress angle as you don't get a wide enough view
AnswerID: 513067

Follow Up By: V8 Troopie - Thursday, Jun 13, 2013 at 23:51

Thursday, Jun 13, 2013 at 23:51
IMO it is *not* a good idea to use rear view cameras with a wider than 120 degree angle on the back of a caravan (or boat trailer in my case).

The reason is, the wider the angle the smaller the objects in view behind become. One can see a car approaching the caravan from behind at an acceptable distance with a 120 degree camera, 90 degree would be even better for this, but the very same car has to be much closer before it gets noticed from the background clutter of a very wide angle camera.

It is quite another matter if that camera was *only* used for reversing into a tight spot. In that case the wider angle lens widens the view on the monitor and the distance effect does not matter so much.
FollowupID: 791736

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Thursday, Jun 13, 2013 at 21:20

Thursday, Jun 13, 2013 at 21:20
I have a wireless camera on the back of the car. Works a treat. I have the reversing mirror display which is quite large and clear.

The camera helps a lot especially when I was towing my son's 4x4 after he had broken down. As he had no engine and only mechanical brakes going down hills was a bit tricky and at one stage he started catching up quickly. I could see this in the camera and put the foot down quickly. I should say I had a tray full of camper so could not see him very well with just side mirrors when towing.

Cheers

Serendipity

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 513073

Reply By: Member -Shakeejob - Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 12:37

Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 12:37
Gary,
I have a wireless camera system fitted to my ute and another camera on the van.
The system is from Auto Command. apparently they dont sell to the public but rather deal through auto electricians.

Uits a great system allows ease of hooking up and excellent vision behind when towing.
I can keep track of those fools who want to tailgate a caravan.
The unit plus installation cost $1100 last August in Perth, so you would need a current quote.
The advantage of this system is that you dont get interference from other wireless sources. This was a major problem with earlier vwireless reversing camera systems.
Best of luck

Les
AnswerID: 513109

Reply By: Hema Maps - Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 11:31

Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 11:31
Gary.

I just thought I would let you know that we recommend the ARB cameras, they have a good set up and plug straight into the Hema HN6. There are plenty of ways to set up reversing cameras, a few have been mentioned here, but it is all going to come down to what you want to get out of it and how much you are willing to spend.

Best of luck in the choices.
Safe Journey...
AnswerID: 513254

Sponsored Links