Forester Vs Escape

Hi guys, im fairly new to this.

I am looking for a second hand soft roader and wondering which would be best..

I would be using it for travelling to work and on the weekend maybe some beach work/light-medium off road use..

I do not want anything too big, too thirsty or anything like that..

My budget is 15k, The cars i have had a close look at include

2007 ZC Ford Escape
2007 (or around that year) Subaru Forester XS

I am open to any other suggestions but i will need something that is slightly capable off road..

Many thanks,
James
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Luke F1 - Thursday, Jun 13, 2013 at 15:53

Thursday, Jun 13, 2013 at 15:53
The Ford Escapes are very thirsty on fuel as it has a V6. The forester is a well built car and in the man trans, it has a low range setting. Its not as low ratio as some more serious 4x4s but better than nothing. The suby is a sturdy reliable soft roader. The nissan X-trail is also a good option.
AnswerID: 513055

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Thursday, Jun 13, 2013 at 17:38

Thursday, Jun 13, 2013 at 17:38
James, go for the xtrail brilliant vehicle, and economical, that's my 2 bob's worth.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 791707

Reply By: mikehzz - Thursday, Jun 13, 2013 at 17:26

Thursday, Jun 13, 2013 at 17:26
A Forester any day of the week. If it has that symmetrical awd then better. Check out the traction tests on youtube, it beats all of them. Subaru build quality is high but the boxer engine can use oil.
AnswerID: 513063

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Thursday, Jun 13, 2013 at 18:38

Thursday, Jun 13, 2013 at 18:38
This link has a test that includes a Forester, an Escape and Nissan Rogue which is what a Dualis is called in the US. A Dualis has the same awd system as an XTrail but with a smaller motor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRniF4JQN2U&feature=youtube_gdata_player
FollowupID: 791711

Reply By: Rangiephil - Thursday, Jun 13, 2013 at 21:41

Thursday, Jun 13, 2013 at 21:41
A Suzuki Grand Vitara is IMHO the best of the tiddlers and is not really a Soft Roader as it has low ratio.
If you plan to go on beaches and a bit of 4WD then a Vitara .
Diesel Vitaras particularly have great reviews, except if you drive them too slow , then the particulate filter can block up.
I think it was 2007 that they reinstated low ratio.
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 513075

Reply By: James G1 - Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 01:40

Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 01:40
Ok thanks for the replys guys.

I know the Grand vitara would be the best but in WA it is hard to find one in my price range..

Comparison of the X-trail and Subaru forester which would be better? not worried on size of vehicle...mainly which would be better for the light-med off road work for now??
AnswerID: 513081

Reply By: mikehzz - Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 07:29

Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 07:29
There are quite a few Foresters and XTrails in my 4wd drive club. From my experience on trips with them, a petrol Forester performs better than a petrol XTrail. A diesel XTrail is heaps more capable than a petrol XTrail. Both are good cars and I have seen them do some impressive stuff for what they are. The XTrail is let down on sand sometimes by being thrown out of 4wd lock when taking a run at a dune. You can get a 2" lift for both of them. I've driven both and prefer the Forester. You should take some for a test drive and form an opinion. If the Forester hasn't got symmetrical awd then the XTrail is probably better off road. When dealing with soft roaders without low range, an auto is usually better off road. I don't like that cvt on the XTrail though.
AnswerID: 513082

Sponsored Links