Cape York Road Upgrade Announced

Cape York roads, bridges to get a $250m upgrade by: Peter Michael and Liam Parsons

THE Gillard Government has announced a $250 million roads project for Cape York.
The upgrade includes sealing about 100km of road between Mapoon and Weipa as well as improving the surface of the road connecting Aurukun to the Peninsular Developmental Road.

Federal Transport Minister Anthony Albanese in Cairns today said money will also be put forward to a crossing at Jardine River.

This comes four days after The Sunday Mail reported calls for a bridge to replace the Jardine River ferry.

The ferry has been dogged by public outcry over the latest exorbitant price hike on the council-operated service.

Mr Albanese said the projects had been highlighted as priorities by Regional Development Australia.

``We're prepared to have discussions if people have different ideas about moving forward, but these projects have been identified as a priority for getting employment opportunities out there,'' he said.

The funding will also include an upgrade of the Seisia wharf and improvements to a raw water pipeline from Bamaga to Seisia, along with other small scale community drainage works.

Read more: http://www.couriermail.com.au/national-news/queensland/cape-york-roads-bridges-to-get-a-250m-upgrade/story-fnii5v6w-1226663264708#ixzz2W5yeUxLv
Crossing the Wenlock

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - OnYaBike - Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 00:16

Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 00:16
Second go at this, the first disappeared into cyberspace because of a site upgrade or something. Grrrrr!
They don't say over how many years the $250 mil will be spent so I'm not expecting dramatic changes. And a change of government and all bets are off.
The article was a follow up to an earlier one about Jardine Ferry fees. Even locals were caught out by the sudden increases. They used to pay $11 and it jumped to $50 each way. The article doesn't mention the increases for trailers but I reckon taking a vehicle and trailer across is going to make you blink!
I'll find out in the next week or so although fortunately it will be vehicle only.
AnswerID: 513079

Follow Up By: Phillipn - Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 07:43

Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 07:43
Don`t believe these promisers as it is an election year, it`s about catching votes.

Don`t forget " their will be no carbon tax"
FollowupID: 791744

Follow Up By: gclan - Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 07:44

Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 07:44
I've heard that the fee for car and trailer is now $149.
Going across on the ferry is all part of the experience, albeit it a short one. It would be a shame to have a bridge there though, taking away that last little bit of remoteness, though I guess they said that when the ferry started too.
I guess I'd be all for a bridge if I had to pay $50 each time I crossed. Now that's steep :-O
FollowupID: 791745

Reply By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 14:19

Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 14:19
All a bit of a moot point really. There's a small matter of being elected first.

I wonder what Claudia Schiffer would order if I took her out for a bite?

AnswerID: 513113

Reply By: mountainman - Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 15:51

Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 15:51
people youst to drive across the river, stuff the prices the aborigines were charging..they though....
untill the "locals" got a backhoe or excavator and dug a whole soo you cant drive it anymore..
down the river, or something..

some motorbike riders float their motorbikes on car tyre tubes, or truck tubes and float, pull them across.

at least you wont get ripped when the bridge is in..
mates old man stayed in the car, he was fuming what they were charging ages ago, damn he would have a heart attack now with the prices...
the wifee paid the fee..

AnswerID: 513117

Follow Up By: Member - OnYaBike - Saturday, Jun 15, 2013 at 00:20

Saturday, Jun 15, 2013 at 00:20
The first time I crossed the Jardine was pre ferry in 1969, in an ex army Land Rover with a blanket across the radiator and the fan belt removed. Mountainman is right, the approaches have been stuffed up making it more risky. Pic shows a Jeep crossing on the same trip.
The PMG linesman had a vehicle each side of the river and a punt so he could maintain the telegraph line while the river was still too high to cross.
FollowupID: 791807

Reply By: DaveO*ST-R - Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 17:10

Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 17:10
Wow, prices sure have gone up. With a Senior's discount last year, I paid from memory around $76 or thereabouts, and that was with a trailer ! I think "normal" full fare was $88 + $11 car and trailer.

Excerpt taken from Northern Peninsula Area Regional Council website.

Prices effective Wednesday 1st May 2013
*Seasonal Pass $200 (six months)
Single Vehicles $129 return
Vehicle with Trailer/Van $145 return
Motor Bikes $67 return
Tour Bus $160 return
(Plus $15 per person in excess of 15)
Other Commercial (under 10 tonne) $160 return
Vehicles greater than 10 tonne $185 return
NPA residents $50 one way

Dave
AnswerID: 513118