Comment: Powerline Trek

i can download the track but cant open it....this is all the maps i try to open or use on the explreoz site
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 12:03

Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 12:03
Hi

What mapping program/GPS are you trying to use to view the track file?

You cant just download the file and "open" it without a suitable viewing program or direct to the GPS in some cases.

Many people use Oziexplorer, but there are many other options such as Garmins Mapsource/Basecamp, Magellan's Vantage Point, Trackranger, TwoNav/CompeGPS Land..list goes on. If you downloaded a GPX version of the track file this can be loaded to most Garmin/Magellan/TwoNav GPS units (and more). PLT files are for OziExplorer and its variants (OziCe and Ozi Android).

If you are also downloaded "maps" I am assuming these are for use with OziExplorer as well.

Are you using any of these or similar?

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 513105

Follow Up By: Member - liftnlock lux - Saturday, Jun 15, 2013 at 08:34

Saturday, Jun 15, 2013 at 08:34
Thanks Greg
I downloaded the Hema version but they aren't working on my Hema 6 nor on my computer loaded with HN Explorer. I ended up viewing the maps with Google earth and picking the predominant way points out then entering them in manually. I'll be able to get there n back and the same with the Holland track.

Best Regards
Phil Hayward
FollowupID: 791811

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, Jun 15, 2013 at 10:16

Saturday, Jun 15, 2013 at 10:16
Hi

Strange, should work - but good that you have found a workaround.

Have fun.

Cheers
Greg

PS would try again when you get time and if you still cant use downloaded data maybe get back to David with comprehensive explanation so he can establish if the issue is here or your end.
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 791818

Follow Up By: Member - liftnlock lux - Saturday, Jun 15, 2013 at 12:10

Saturday, Jun 15, 2013 at 12:10
Hi
Found the problem. It was at my end..I ended up saving the files to another folder and then copied directly to c:/Hema/data and set the program to find the files at that location then opened them from inside HNexplorer. Now its off to pack the car up now i know where im goin
Thanks again
FollowupID: 791825

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, Jun 15, 2013 at 12:29

Saturday, Jun 15, 2013 at 12:29
Good stuff - don't think I actually assisted that much ..but sometimes it helps to talk :)

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 791826

Reply By: mike g2 - Saturday, Jun 15, 2013 at 15:46

Saturday, Jun 15, 2013 at 15:46
Hi liftnlock.. don't see you really need to load a map or use gps..track not complex and is easy to find, signposted by 4x4 club also known/used very well by most 4wd / motorbike folk on a weekend and is found on google/google earth. drive to hills up GE Hwy past Mundaring, look for a Lt turn( marked) before sawyers vlly rd and you will also see pipelines just off into bush. there is a Y fork just at beginning, go to Rt,-gravel road leads to water tanks about 2k down trk, start of powerline track goes to Lt again here. this western end is easy, much better grades further on when you get past cole rd(track) junction. it has work arounds in some parts but is mainly a single track the whole way-cant go wrong. can also access by several tracks to the Rt off great eastern hwy as you drive thru sawyers valley area or from casuarina rd(trk). shown on Perth street directory (QPA) as well. . see other replies for download/opening problem solving with nav/gps devices.
MG.
AnswerID: 513164

Follow Up By: Member - liftnlock lux - Saturday, Jun 15, 2013 at 17:58

Saturday, Jun 15, 2013 at 17:58
Cheers Mike
FollowupID: 791834

Sponsored Links