AC Delco Battery....life span?

Submitted: Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 17:50
ThreadID: 102764 Views:6048 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there, I was just wondering what the expected life span of a deep cycle battery is for a car. I have 2008 hilux and 12 months ago put a ac delco deep cycle in as a second battery. It has had little use mainly for the arb compressor and a few times for the engel. Once a month i put it on to a ctech charger for 24 hours as i am aware of the small charging voltages by newer model cars.

The battery has died almost exactly 12 months after purchase and today after the battery shop has had it on charge for 3 days to confirm it is faulty rang AC Delco for them to say that the only have a 6 months warranty due to being a deep cycle battery. I would have thought you should get close to 3 years or longer. Whats the time frame others are getting from AC Delco? I know i wont ever purchase on of their batteries again

thanks Troy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: pop2jocem - Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 18:18

Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 18:18
Hey Troy,

Where is your DC battery mounted and is a wet cell or an AGM or Gel?
Apparently AGM style batteries don't like the under bonnet heat.
AC Delco use to make very good quality stuff many, many years ago but maybe the latest crop is not quite so good.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 513122

Follow Up By: Searay - Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 18:49

Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 18:49
Hey Pop, thanks for the reply

The battery is mounted on the passenger side at the back against the firewall. Its an AGM battery and yeah i know the heat under the bonnet is not good for them but the last 2nd battery lasted almost 4 years before dying and being replaced with the AC Delco battery. I put it in due to also hearing they had good reputation. From the looks of it the latest crop may be not so good but that is why i asked if anyone has had a similar life span
FollowupID: 791789

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 20:30

Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 20:30
Hi Troy

Yes you would be very dissapointed with only that life span. I know that there are battery experts here on the forum and will let you know what they think.

I now now in the process of looking at replacing my deep cycle battery, as it is not dead, but not as good as it was when it was new. Age wise I can not complain, as it is 6 years old and only runs our accessories, as well as the fridge and sine wave inverter.

It will be interesting to hear what type you go for, so please keep us posted.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 513128

Reply By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 21:04

Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 21:04
Troy
I had 4 AC Delco lead calcium deep cycle batteries on the boat. Lasted for 7 years. They needed 14.9v charge.
Held their charge extremely well.
Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 513130

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 08:51

Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 08:51
We had the same type of AC Delco batteries that lasted 6 years but they were fitted in the tub, not under the bonnet.
Brian
Doing it tuff, Towing a Bushtracker.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 791866

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Saturday, Jun 15, 2013 at 10:22

Saturday, Jun 15, 2013 at 10:22
Will leave technical comment to the gurus ..... but if you need another one, keep in mind Century won't warrant their AGM DC's under the bonnet (you didn't say what type this one is) - I chose Century flooded DC. There are plenty of other brands of course (but then, they might all come from the same place :-o).
AnswerID: 513154

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Tuesday, Jun 18, 2013 at 01:34

Tuesday, Jun 18, 2013 at 01:34
Hi Troy,

I cannot give any feedback to your original question and I am a little disappointed with the lack of replies and also the lack of longevity of your battery.
My reason for taking the time to reply is that I have just been given a new AC Delco battery and hence my curiosity. My application will be a little different to yours with the battery being mounted in the back of a Suzuki and is in place just to run basic lighting and a small Engel fridge over two to three days, although there is the possibility of fitting a second similar battery :-) This is to replace the current two x 6 volt deep cycle batteries currently in place.
Your question is interesting in that the warranty for deep cycle batteries is very limited. Taking into account that these batteries are made tougher and built to withstand more frequent "deep cycling" why offer a six (6) month warranty...... is there no faith in the product?? I recently purchased a Repco Heavy Duty Marine Battery (indicated to be be able to be used as a deep cycle battery) as a Aux battery in the Cruiser, the BIG print indicates that there is a two year replacement warranty, in fine print it is SIX months if the battery is used in a deep cycle application and in the event of a claim, the battery will be tested to Champion/Yashu test standards.

It does make it very difficult to make a good decision and we thank you for your post.

Cheers,
Wayne & Sally.

AnswerID: 513302

Sponsored Links