Multi function jump starter

Submitted: Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 21:15
ThreadID: 102770 Views:8244 Replies:8 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know about the EPS multi function jump starter ,Does it actually work .Can a 360gm power pack actually start a V8 .sounds a big call to me but I could be convinced to the contrary.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 21:18

Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 21:18
Where is the link to this device?
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 513131

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 22:20

Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 22:20
Hi Peter
Here it is
AND only $36

""Basic Info.
Model NO.: BR No. 1
Type: Lithium Ion Battery Charger
Charging Type: Electric Charger
Certificate: FCC CE RoHS
Export Markets: Global

Additional Info.
Trademark: BR
Packing: Paper Box
Standard: FCC ROHS SGS CE
Origin: Shenzheng Guangdong
HS Code: 8504401990
Production Capacity: 100, 000per/Month

Product Description
2013 New Project New Upsurg Mini Multi-FunctionJump Starter!!!

Our new product have many feature,it is very light and small.

The feature as follows;

Feature1;One of the main features of "Auto mate" is Help car start by a simple clip, and No Need To Connect the Original Car Battery. Mini Size , big power .

Feature2;our "Auto mate" gets another name as "Allpower charger", which can charge for laptop , camera , iPhone and many other mobile phones or electrical appliances.

Feature3;Our "Auto mate" comes with torch, lighting , flashing functions , it also can transmit a SOS sign .

When you go camping , picnic, outdoor adventure and investigate . The "Auto mate" is your best partner .

Name Auto EPS
(Mini Multi-function jump starter) Common Single function jump starer
Function 1 .It can start car 20 times.The capacity of battery bigger than 1 new car Only can started about 10 times
2 .In the cold winter when you car run out of power or can`t start.
It can start the car in -40 So hard to start car in cold winter
3 .Support various mobile phone, PSP, MP3/MP4 Pocket PC/PDA, notebook as well as other products charge / power supply No
4 .Support portable illumination for 40 hours,and in the emergency circumstance can transmit SOS more than 120 hours No
Size Mini size:160*75*28mm .Just 1/20 of usually battery Big size and take big place
Weight 450g heavy ""

It has one of those magical L ion i batteries
PeterQ
FollowupID: 791805

Reply By: Ross M - Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 21:55

Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 21:55
I briefly looked at something like that in an Autobarn store.
More than $200 for a small $20 Gell cell.
Can a torch battery run a searchlight? No matter how good the battery bunny is searchlights are out of the picture.

The battery in question is around 3.5Ah max and will charge a tablet or phone for a short while not sure about a V8 starter though.
If it works, why have an N70z battery at all.
AnswerID: 513134

Reply By: garrycol - Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 23:12

Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 23:12
This device is not designed to start the car directly - when you battery is down or flat this device is supposed to charge your car battery enough for your car battery to start the car. For it to work you car battery still needs to be alive enough to accept the charge.
AnswerID: 513137

Reply By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Saturday, Jun 15, 2013 at 09:05

Saturday, Jun 15, 2013 at 09:05
Your battery must be only slightly flat to use these small devices, I would not rely on one for a diesel or V8.

AnswerID: 513147

Follow Up By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Saturday, Jun 15, 2013 at 09:06

Saturday, Jun 15, 2013 at 09:06
Note: That is not my voice, hehe.

Regards

Derek
FollowupID: 791814

Reply By: Idler Chris - Saturday, Jun 15, 2013 at 14:48

Saturday, Jun 15, 2013 at 14:48
A much easier solution is to make sure your cranking battery is up to the job for what your doing. If it is over two years old have it tested and if in doubt replace it. Secondly ensure your cranking battery is isolated and not used when the engine is not going.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 513161

Reply By: KenInPerth - Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 10:46

Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 10:46
Andrew

Had a first hand experience with something like this when I was in a country town.

A lady travelling throgh had stopped to go to the loo and car would not start - battery was stuffed internally and basically no voltage when trying to crank.

A guy around at the time said "hang on - I've got a jump start kit" and brought it out of the box that was proudly advertising a "gazillion cranking amps" as all good sales advertising does.

Well if it had more than about a 7AH Sealed Lead Acid battery in the thing based on size of the box I would have been surprised and the connecting leads would have got very warm with any serious current draw.

Did it crank the car ??? I think we got an "mmmmph!!" out of it and that was it.

Like the computer speakers you get claiming they are 400 Watts in a case the size of a matchbox, they find ways of exagerating the ability of these devices badly in the marketing department - eventually you might find something like "peak power for 1 micro second" written on the box.

I think the information Oldtrack posted sums it up with the origin and poor translation of the language - the old addage "if it's seems too good to be true, it probably is".

Ken

AnswerID: 513200

Follow Up By: garrycol - Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 11:55

Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 11:55
Of course it would not work - as you said the car's battery was stuffed internally. As indicated above the device will not start a car dorectly it recharges the car battery enough to start the car - if the car battery is stuffed (internally as you indicated) then they do not work.

No where do they claim they will start a car directly.

Garry
FollowupID: 791877

Reply By: oldtrack123 - Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 13:12

Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 13:12
Hi
Did you read the FIRST claim
Quote"No Need To Connect the Original Car Battery."
Of course it is chingenglish
So,perhaps they meant "No need to Disconnect original car battery."
[even if it is flat???????]

As a lithium ion battery it will be capable of a VERY short burst of high current
But the claim of mutltiple starts,[20times] with out RECHARGING it
,IMHO pigs will fly before THAT could be done

Now if they gave real specs for the BATTERY,we could all determine what it MAY be able to do

nb. a battery can be flat but still physical OK, [capable of recharge]
Peter Q
AnswerID: 513204

Follow Up By: KenInPerth - Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 13:41

Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 13:41
Oldtrack

I am not sure where garrycol read that it is designed to "recharge the car battery enough to start the car". In the "spec" you posted I saw the following bits as you did:

"...... Jump Starter!!!"

" Help car start ... No Need To Connect the Original Car Battery'

".... Common Single function jump starer"

".... It can start car 20 times.The capacity of battery bigger than 1 new car Only can started about 10 times"
(man - what does that mean - that it is better than the original battery in the car ??)

" It can start the car in -40 So........"

The person that had purchased the item I saw sincerely believed from the packaging that it would jump start his car and he carried it in his boot for that reason. I still dispute it would even work to "top up" a slighty dscharged battery but there is no point turning this into a techical discussion - that is not the subject of this thread - this particular battery had gone high internal resistance (very high!!) so that would not have worked anyway. Plan B (normally plan A) was some jumper leads and another car.

There are many people that look at this forum that could unfortuately be caught the same way and for that reason this thread (except for that particular post) is informative and not derogatory as they should be. Many good knowlegable people with real experience have stopped posting because of such comments and that is a real loss to the forum.

FollowupID: 791885

Follow Up By: garrycol - Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 14:12

Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 14:12
Is your "quote" on operating instructions correct? The price seems wrong as well.

This aussie link indicates it is a charger. Also the video above shows it will not start an engine until it has a bit of time to put some charge back into the engine battery. There are versions that plug into the cigarette lighter.
FollowupID: 791886

Follow Up By: garrycol - Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 14:13

Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 14:13
The link function does not seem to be working - her is the URL http://www.batteriesdirect.com.au/shop/product/23914/mjs2046.html
FollowupID: 791887

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 21:48

Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 21:48
Hi Garry
The "quote"is a direct copy & paste from the Chinese site
The $36 is US dollars

Now your link is only a charger
No mention of battery
A battery would be required separately , for IT to be a jump starter unit
Unless it is real clever,& can charge the low crank battery from the vehicle cig lighter socket!!!

PeterQ
FollowupID: 791907

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 21:59

Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 21:59
Hi Garry

The "quote" is a direct copy & paste from the Chinese site
The $36 is US dollars

Your link one is only a charger

Unless it is very clever & can charge the low starter battey from the vehicle cig socket
Is THAT what you are suggesting??

PeterQ
FollowupID: 791910

Follow Up By: garrycol - Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 22:43

Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 22:43
You are obviously looking at a different link than I am - the one I put up has a battery in it.

I am not suggesting anything - there are other versions of this sort of thing that provide a charge to the cars battery via the cigarette lighter.

They have been around for quite a few years.
FollowupID: 791913

Follow Up By: KenInPerth - Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 22:55

Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 22:55
Peter

They still list the thing as a "jump starter" and in the list of items show "5. Car Jump Starter Leads". The notes at the bottom are clearly a translation, and specifically state "support 12V car jump start".

All with a 12Ah battery ???

Sort of takes away the credibility of the company sellling it - just the fact that they would. I would hate to be stuck out in the middle of the bush and relying on that to save me.

I find it unethical that Australian companies would sell this when the product is not what it is claiming to be - even stretching the truth I cannot see how it could "jump start" a car.

Ken

FollowupID: 791915

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 23:28

Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 23:28
Hi Garry
Are you really suggesting that you can charge the car battery, from one of these thing by using IT to charge the car battery[ using the car's cig socket for the charger???

And I used YOUR link!!
WHERE does IT show a battery??[in that little wallet????}
IT is just a CHARGER.

THE one in the video does have a small battery
But is not claimed to start the car 20times

Yes, you are correct jump starter packs have been around for many years, but they do include a reasonable sized battery
This thread is not about those ,it is about the one Ken posted!!!

PeterQ
FollowupID: 791918

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 23:31

Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 23:31
Hi
Edit to above
This thread is not about those ,it is about the one Andrew posted

PeterQ
FollowupID: 791920

Follow Up By: garrycol - Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 23:42

Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 23:42
Peter as I said - read the description and all the information in the link - it contains a 12a/hr battery.

And no, I am not talking about the large power packs which can jump start a car in their own right.

Devices similar to the one the subject of this thread have been around for a few years - when tested in product reviews they work BUT only if the car battery is in good condition but flattened but not dead.

If you don't want to use it - then don't.
FollowupID: 791921

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 12:54

Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 12:54
Its quite impractical but for a demo I once started a car with a pack of AA cells.

This was using the charge up your car battery method.

A car start only requires 1 to 2ah for a car in good condition.

I used and used to carry a Nicad 12v AA battery pack ( holds 10 AA cells ) and used 1.5v alkaline batteries in it (2.5AH) .

This means it would dump charge into car fairly fast with approx 15v.

As I said , bit of a joke , but fun demo.

Today though I carry an 18AH gel cell which can be plugged in close to car battery with anderson plug.

This works seriously better and could even cope with a car battery with a part damaged cell.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 791948

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 15:44

Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 15:44
Hi Robin
Yes, you are quite correct

The Actual Amphrs used to crank a car is quite low, but the POWER required is quite high

In the order of 1200 PLUS Watts,[12Vx 100A] over ONE horsepower

If the battery cannot supply that amount of POWER for a few seconds then it cannot start the engine

Peterq
FollowupID: 791957

Reply By: oldtrack123 - Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 15:30

Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 15:30
HI Garry
So WHICH link are you referring to ??
[1]The one that Andrew did not post?
[2]The one that I posted the details for??
[3]The one that Derek posted the video demo link?[which does have a small battery}
[4]Or your link where I could see no sign [in the2nd link] of a battery in the supplied kit??[just what it's charge capability was!!]

Of course cigarette socket CHARGERS have been around for a long time, no one is saying otherwise
As have been varying capacity PORTABLE power packs. using various types of batteries
ranging right through from NICADs to now Lithium types!!
PeterQ
l
AnswerID: 513272

Follow Up By: KenInPerth - Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 17:46

Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 17:46
Peter

Seems the link you get to is different to the one I get to using the one that Garry posted - that is why I see what I put in the previous post about "They still list the thing as a "jump starter" and in the list of items show "5. Car Jump Starter Leads". The notes at the bottom are clearly a translation, and specifically state "support 12V car jump start."

You seem to be seeing something different ??

If you go to batteriesdirect.com.au and if you select the link Jump Starters in left hand column this item is listed top left (at least as I see it doing it that way). Also here on eBay
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Portable-Jump-starter-/321137126648

Similarly the link Sidewinder put in the thread I just see as a big black square (using Internet Explorer) but if I use Google Chrome I see the video.

Vagaries of the Internet and browsers ......
FollowupID: 791969

Sponsored Links