Visiting Fraser Island

A couple of months ago I requested information through the forum about travelling from Melbourne to Townsville via the Simpson Desert. We were very pleased with the responses we received and have now completed this trip. It was great and we shared it with our three young grandsons aged 13, 9 and 8. A trip of a lifetime for us all.

The boys have all returned home to their parents (one to Melbourne and two to New Zealand) and we are thinking of further travel.

We would be interested in stopping off at Fraser Island in mid July. We will have nine days to travel from Townsville to Brisbane and would like to spend say four days on Fraser Island. Can anyone advise if this is sufficient time and make a recommendation of a camping area? Your help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Barbera72 - Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 18:20

Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 18:20
I travelled extensively to both Fraser and Moreton and in all honesty, I would opt for Moreton Island any given day. It has been discussed here before: you won't be able to have a camp fire on Fraser and in July will be a big downside. Then you'll have to deal with loads of tourists all around the main spots not to mention huge traffic on the beach and rough inland tracks. I'm not saying Fraser is not beautiful but Moreton for 4 days will deliver similar scenery and fantastic camping experience in a semi-remote scenario with little if no beach traffic. This is my advice. I'm happy to provide more details if you wish.
AnswerID: 513210

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwibound eventually - Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 21:00

Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 21:00
Thanks Barbera72 for your suggestion. We had not considered Moreton Island as an option but will look into it. We would be happy to receive your suggestions.
FollowupID: 791905

Follow Up By: Barbera72 - Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 10:37

Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 10:37
Gill/Peter, if you go on Fraser I wish to share my favourite spots. Obviously you'll visit landmarks such lake McKenzie, Ely ck, Lake Wabby, Champagne pools and Indian Head but if you have time try to get to Platypus Bay. You need to drive from Orchid Beach west to Wathumba (15Km or so and amazing place too). Park the car there and try to walk across Wathumba creek on low tide approx. 300m upstream from the surf (above knee deep), then cross the small bushy sand hill and you'll be in the whitest virgin sand beach in SEQ with amazing water colors. Well worth to have a picnic there without cars driving around on the sand. Another amazing place is Sandy Cape lighthouse. Depending from conditions and tides, you'll need to pass 2 sets of rocks (Ngkala) north of Orchid Beach (sometimes can be challenging). Once on the northern most tip of Fraser you'll turn left around the corner and drive until you arrive to the end of driving sign. There a walking track brings you on the top of the hill at the lighthouse and you'll remember the view forever. Sandy Cape campground have no facilities but the fishing is great and sheltered from wind (a bonus in winter).
FollowupID: 791941

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwibound eventually - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 07:57

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 07:57
Thank you so much for your knowledgeable response Barbera72. We are looking forward to this part of our journey immensely.
FollowupID: 792214

Reply By: rumpig - Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 19:58

Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 19:58
are you looking at towing the van over or camping in a tent etc?
do you want showers and toilets and do you want to be fenced in because your worried about the dingos (though there's no reason to worry really if you take the correct precautions)
AnswerID: 513214

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwibound eventually - Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 20:57

Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 20:57
Thanks for your response Rumpig. We will not be taking the caravan, but tenting. We would prefer one of the formal campsites with toilets and showers. We have just travelled the Simpson Desert west to east and obviously managed with no facilities and had visits from dingos at night but they did not disturb us or concern us. We have never been to Fraser Island but have travelled the Australian lap over eighteen months including leaving the van and travellng the tracks etc with the tent.
FollowupID: 791903

Follow Up By: rumpig - Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 18:02

Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 18:02
if it's campgrounds you want then you have many to choose from, for your 4 days stay IMHO you really only want to look at places such as Central Station, Dundaburra, Cathedrals or even Dilli Village. Waddy point is another option also, but to far North IMHO for the amount of days you plan to spend on the island.
i've never stayed at Dilli Village but have read many people on MySwag forum saying they like the place due to fires being allowed and the nice grassey campsites they have there (it's more expensive then the Nat. Parks campgrounds though). Central Station IMHO is covered by the trees too much and lacks sunlight, personally i don't like it but many others seem to stay there. i used to love camping at the old Central Station campground when it was back up the track at the logging station due to the open grassey area you camped on, sadly it's not an option these days. Cathedrals (privately owned) is an ok spot to stay due it being fairly central to the entire island, IMHO it's a touch pricey considering what you pay to stay at the rest of the Nat. Parks campgrounds on the island. Dundaburra is a popular choice for many people visiting the island, being it's not far North of Cathedrals it's also very central to everything so may be a good choice to base yourselves at. another option if your camp set up is easy to pull down and erect again, is to spend a night at one spot and then move to another another night, but i don't know what your set up is like so hard to say if it's a realistic option.
personally i camp on the Eastern beach, nothing beats waking up in the morning and looking at the water, the wind can be a killer at times, but when it's not blowing it's just magical.
being in July you may like the option of a fire, so Dilli Village Dundaburra and Waddy Point are all options to consider then (no fires allowed at Central Station i don't think).

FollowupID: 791971

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwibound eventually - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 08:02

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 08:02
Thanks Rumpig for your help. We will be using our Black Wolf turbo tent and as we have used it often (14 night one night days from Melbourne to Townsville recently via the Oodnadatta, Simpson Desert, Birdsville, Winton etc) we can erect it and set up and pull down quite quickly. One night tops do not bother us if it allows us to see and experience more. We will take our advice on board.
FollowupID: 792216

Reply By: John G17 - Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 22:30

Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 22:30
Hi Gill & Peter,

Browse the following URLs:-

http://www.australian-4x4.com.au/fraser-island-australia.html

http://www.exploroz.com/TrekNotes/QldCoast/Fraser_Island.aspx

http://www.visitfraserisland.com.au/

http://www.fraserisland.net/

One of the best locations anywhere to explore, camp, fish & relax.

AnswerID: 513222

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwibound eventually - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 08:03

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 08:03
Great reading - thank you. We are looking forward to our visit. Fortunately we will miss the school holidays!
FollowupID: 792217

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 23:33

Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 23:33
It seems to be fashionable to knock Fraser Island in favour of Moreton Island of late.
Certainly Fraser is busier but is iconic and much larger and grander than Moreton. (75 Mile Beach, perched freshwater lakes?)
If you are just looking for an island beach driving holiday and a quiet time then Moreton is the go.
Best to avoid both during school holiday periods but especially so Fraser!
Four days on either is a reasonable minimum unless you wish to spend time fishing or wanting a long relaxing break.
The dingoes on Fraser can be a problem and because of familiarity with humans are very different to those you may encounter in the Simpson or elsewhere inland. Accordingly, fenced campgrounds such as Cathedrals (private), Dundubara or Waddy Point (NP&WS) offer some protection from dingoes. Beach camping is available but can be very windy.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 513231

Follow Up By: Barbera72 - Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 06:13

Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 06:13
I can't see what fashion has to do with this. When you travel around oz you get use to certain things, like freedom for example. Then you go to Fraser and you'll have rangers checking all over your camp site including your eskys, you'll struggle to find a carpark at lake Mckenzie or you'll have to wait for the traffic to ease to cross the beach. But no doubt Fraser is an amazing spot.
FollowupID: 791926

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 08:54

Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 08:54
Fashionable -- adjective:
In vogue, in fashion, popular, up-to-date, modern, all the rage, du jour, modish, trendsetting, stylish, informal trendy, classy, with it, cool, in, hot, big, hip, happening, now, snazzy, spiffy, tony, fly.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 791935

Follow Up By: Barbera72 - Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 09:17

Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 09:17
I still can't see what in vogue, in fashion, popular, up-to-date, modern, all the rage, du jour, modish, trendsetting, stylish, informal trendy, classy, with it, cool, in, hot, big, hip, happening, now, snazzy, spiffy, tony, flyfashion has to do with opting to Moreton instead of Fraser. On the contrary: Fraser would be more fashionable if you count the number of visitors. Also I don't see any negativity in my post towards you to get such sarcastic answer, I'm giving some information that may be of negative nature about Fraser and others pointed at positives. Still a beautiful spot and we all agree.
FollowupID: 791936

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 09:49

Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 09:49
Sorry Barbera, it wasn't sarcastic....... I actually agree with you.
It's just that until recently, Fraser was 'The Place' and Moreton rarely mentioned then lately there have been several references criticizing Fraser in favour of Moreton. Hence the term 'fashionable' (popular).
Being in my 'backyard' I visit each of them fairly often and have learned when to avoid the crowds. I like each for differing reasons.
However, it's strange that I have never had a Ranger check my campsite. But mind you, I usually stay in a fenced campground for convenience and to avoid the dingo hassle. Also there have been authoritative concerns expressed regarding the health/sanitation situation of campsites on the beach and I have no wish to pick up some 'nasty'. Yes, Moreton can be more relaxing.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 791939

Follow Up By: Barbera72 - Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 10:25

Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 10:25
Yes Allan, I visit too Moreton 4 to 6 times every year. I dropped Fraser few years ago since we had continuously bad experiences with people and regulations that limit our way of living with nature. However I do understand we need regulations for a place visited from so many tourists and many from overseas. Like me, many of my friends travelers and campers, share this view of Fraser. I wish more people understood the rule of "leave no trace".
Cheers.
FollowupID: 791940

Reply By: Member - Berylvt - Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 12:35

Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 12:35
Hi Gill and Peter!
Fraser is a must see inspite of the large numbers of visitors, in my opinion. We enjoyed the beach camping, where you can have a fire, but the camp site at Central Station was also very enjoyable, with amenities, and situated in a tall forest, with the clear water stream nearby.

Of course Morton is also great. Do both! Have a great time.
AnswerID: 513257

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwibound eventually - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 08:07

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 08:07
Thanks for your response Berylvt. We might take your advice and just visit both as we have the time to do so. We had never considered Moreton Island previously so posting this question has certainly been helpful.
FollowupID: 792218

Follow Up By: Lyn W3 - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 08:16

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 08:16
Be aware that Campfire regulations have changed on Fraser Island and there are now only two communal campfire sites available.

"Fires are prohibited on Fraser Island except in the communal fire rings at Dundubara and Waddy Point camping areas. Campers wishing to use these fire rings must supply their own clean, untreated milled timber for firewood and firelighters for ignition. Fuel stoves are recommended for cooking."

FollowupID: 792219

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwibound eventually - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 08:50

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 08:50
Thanks for this advice.
FollowupID: 792222

Sponsored Links