National Gathering

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 22:31
ThreadID: 102805 Views:1598 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Is there any plans for a National Gathering is the future? Been a while since we have had one.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 07:10

Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 07:10
I think Dave set such a high standard for an informal gathering out at Silverton in 2011 that no one has been game to follow.lol. Seriously, it takes a lot of organisation all done voluntarily. The volunteer would need a lot of spare time and quite a bit of help as well so I guess that's why there's not any hands gone up recently. Cheers,Bob.
AnswerID: 513242

Follow Up By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 13:04

Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 13:04
Thanks for the compliment Bob, but it would have been very lonely and boring out there for me if it had not been for all the fun people who turned up. I think that is why we all had a great time.
I have had quite a few things happening behind the scenes recently, but I am willing to help organise something if anybody puts any suggestions forward. Send me a MM.
I had help from others in other states, and I am sure there would be EO devotees who will put there hand up to help organise something again, it doesn't matter where you live.
cheers
Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 791949

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 09:29

Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 09:29
I would organise another National Gathering but currently my work load and other activities have me very time poor.

I have several locations in mind already and just need some time to myself to actually sit down and nut out a Gathering plan :)

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 513250

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 19:53

Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 19:53
Like you Kev. I am pretty time poor whilst still a self employed mechanic but I would cerainly put my hand up as an assistant if it gets further along. Bob.
FollowupID: 791974

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 19:03

Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 19:03
We ie: all the staff in the office would welcome someone coming up with a plan. As usual we would support the event and the organisers in anyway that we possibly can. So if you are keen they are a great event and a chance to meet some really wonderful people.

David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 513289

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 22:00

Monday, Jun 17, 2013 at 22:00
Hi Brian

I know the most perfect location for a National Gatheting, right here in SA....just what everyone would like to see....lots of Aboriginal History, every early Australian European History and lots of modern History.

Lots of red sand, fantastic scenery, lots to see and do, yet very few modern day travellers been there, and very few from EO

Maralinga, would be a perfect place and should drag a good gathering. Realy good road in, or if you want a harder way, there is even that.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 513297

Follow Up By: TTTSA - Tuesday, Jun 18, 2013 at 08:53

Tuesday, Jun 18, 2013 at 08:53
Our 4wd club is having a trip there later this year with a guided tour also, sadly I won't be there though.

Cheers
FollowupID: 791993

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jun 18, 2013 at 14:28

Tuesday, Jun 18, 2013 at 14:28
Hi

If you can get there, it will be well worth it. Tell your group leader to make sure that they do the 2 day Range Tour, there is just too much to see in 1 day.

What time of the year will they be going there, as I am back there my a small group and then further out in August.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 792015

Follow Up By: AdrianLR (VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 18, 2013 at 19:35

Tuesday, Jun 18, 2013 at 19:35
Now that would be interesting Stephen!

We went to the gathering at Innaminka a few years back because it was a destination on the must-do list. Thoroughly enjoyed the trip and the short time we spent with the EO group.

Adrian
FollowupID: 792031

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 06:55

Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 06:55
Hi Adrian

Is is a fantastic place with so much to see. Also as remote as it is, you can get there with as little as around 80 kilometres of good dirt road. Providing that it is not wet, you can get there with a conventional vehicles and access is suitable for even large caravans and motor homes.

If you you have a four wheel drive, there are even some good tracks where it is possible to get bogged in soft sand and put those nice pin stripes on the side of your vehicle.

I personally think it would be an ideal location for many reason and what makes it even better is the manager and my great friend there..Robin Matthews who knows the area out there like the back of your hand.

Maralinga gets my vote for every reason above and more.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 792060

Sponsored Links