Lake Eyre - viewing from the Eastern side

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 21:32
ThreadID: 10281 Views:3530 Replies:9 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning a trip in April from Melbourne to Port Augusta to Maree to Birdsville to Boulia to Longreach to Bourke to Melbourne. We will have two weeks.
We are doing it primarily to enjoy the changes that happen when water changes the deserts as it does not happen that often. Caught the travel bug after reading Bob and Ruth's posts about the water up north. We are going to corner country and the Flinders in September so will save this area for later.

I was wondering of peoples experience in seeing Lake Eyre from the Eastern side - not the Oodandatta track side. Can you get much of a gander? Would also be interested in all the other interesting parks and Billabongs and puddles and rivers etc on the way that might look much different after the floods, that we should visit along the way. Might not get a chance to see stuff soon after floods again for a long time.

Cheers

Andrew

2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
"We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing"
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 22:07

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 22:07
Better stop over for a cuppa or something(or else!) on your way through. Unless you desperately want to see Port Augusta the shortcut is through Peterborough. Can't help you on the eastern view... have only been to the Lake on the southern side. There has been no rain here in SA for a while( other lakes and puddle will be emty unless we have unseasonal rains) and you will be relying on the water reaching Lake Eyre from Queensland.

Cheers

Willem1958 Patrol Pretty flash eh?
AnswerID: 45483

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 22:15

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 22:15
If you are around Willem we would love to call in for a cuppa - might stick to the cuppa depending on what time of day it is and if you have a few miles to travel still. What is the best way from Melbourne to Maree - through Mildura and across or ??
Andrew2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
"We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing"
FollowupID: 307574

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 22:40

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 22:40
Hi Andrew,

Tis is the shortest route. Come up the Calder Hwy to Mildura. After Wycheproof the speed limit changes to 110kmh. From Mildura you pass through Renmark, turn right to Morgan before you reach Berri, then from Morgan take road to Burra, Terowie, Peterborough, Orroroo, Hawker, Leigh Creek, Lyndhurst, Marree. The road is bitumen all the way from Melbourne to Lyndhurst. From Lyndhurst it is 80km dirt road to Marree and another 80 odd via Muloorina Station to Lake Eyre. This last route is a PAR(Public AccessRoute). I believe there are camping facilities at the station. If you give me an idea of how many kays you want to do each day I may be able to point out some campsites.

It is close on 1500km from Melbourne to Lake Eyre via this route.

I will be home throughout most of April.

Cheers,

Willem

1958 Patrol Pretty flash eh?
FollowupID: 307580

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 22:47

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 22:47
I forgot to mention the Fruit Fly Inspection checkpoint just before Renmark. Don't bring any fruit or tomatoes into this area. They are pretty grumpy and fussy at the gate. Probably be able to find out via a website what you are not allowed to bring in to the Riverland area.
FollowupID: 307581

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 10:36

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 10:36
Have you been into the area near Muloorina station Willem?? Is it worth going in for a gander? Don't worry about me bringing in fruit. I will pick some up at your place!
FollowupID: 307600

Follow Up By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 10:54

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 10:54
Andrew, If your looking for a campsite between Renmark and Berri, I can point out some goodies. Just let me know. MAAAAA has my addy.
The Yamba Fruitfly Road Block is open 24/7/365
You cannot bring any fruit what so ever pass the check point. That includes tomatoes and capsicum's. You cannot bring unwashed potatoes or any onions in either. Grape vines and cuttings are also prohibited.
You can bring watermelon or rockmelon providing they come from NSW or Vic. Their phone number is (08) 8595 5026 and web site is www.pir.sa.gov.au
Cheapest fuel is at Paringa onL/H side just before Paringa Bridge. After you turn left in Renmark and head towards Berri about 4 - 5 k's out there is a roadside stall who sell fresh fruit and vegies that are in season. Peaches and all soft fruit is yummy right now. Table grapes might still be on the go in April.
Depends on the date your travelling through, might still be around.Dare to Lead not to Follow
FollowupID: 307603

Follow Up By: Willem - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 15:29

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 15:29
Andrew,

No, the last time I was in Marree was in 1992 and have not been out to Muloorina.

Willem
FollowupID: 307625

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 18:50

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 18:50
Will get your addy from Maaaaa. Just trying to work out a bit of an itinerary for the trip and their is a fair chance we will stop somewhere between Renmark and Berri. Will be in touch.
Thanks Des Lexik
FollowupID: 307654

Reply By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 22:10

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 22:10
mmmmmmmmmm, Cant speak from previuos experiance, but I have heard that trip is quiet a pleasent trip especialy if you are towing a Kanga Camper trailer. Must be something about the great camper trailer and the good rest you get while away from home. I could have lent you our Kanga, but I was advised against lending it out for medical reasons. (Don't know why!) But anyway, I'm sure you will have the most enjoyable trip away, who knows we may even see you somewhere......you know where we live...................lol
Karen Kind Regards
Karen & Geoff
(Happy holidaying)
AnswerID: 45484

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 22:19

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 22:19
I have been saying that we might borrow a Camper for the trip - thanks for your kind .... um.... laugh at us poor folk without one... Dunno what the medical reasons could be.....maybe a sore foot. Your X-rays showed a bow in the bone but I could not see a fracture!
FollowupID: 307575

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 22:24

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 22:24
The bow in the xray was from me kicking Geoff up the bum too often..........you will have to tell Jenelle to swap feet every so often...............Hey, this trip sounds like a mighty long one for only 2 weeks, will you have time to stop and look around? And of corse, you will be going home through this way wont you?Kind Regards
Karen & Geoff
(Happy holidaying)
FollowupID: 307576

Follow Up By: Perry - Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 17:50

Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 17:50
Went into Muloorina in '89 and out to Level Post Bay, was very picturesque after the rains, with many flowers etc. Camping ground was quite pleasant as I recall. Also went out to Halligans Bay from William Creek which was quite a contrast, like a moonscape with good camping in the dunes nearby. Followed this with a crossing of the Simpson via a combination of tracks. An unforgettable experience.
FollowupID: 307765

Reply By: Mick - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 23:06

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 23:06
If you follow the route described by Willem you'll be able to view the salt pan where Donald Campbell did his land speed record driving. Doubt if you'll see any water though as there was none there when the lake was quite full in 2000. Best view of water was on the west side via William Creek.
AnswerID: 45501

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 23:45

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 23:45
Is about 260k's from Maree to Lake Ere via William Creek so it turns out to be quite a diversion. Maybe will just be content to have a look at stuff like Goyder Lagoon, Astrebla Downs National Park and Diamantina National park. Might even decide to go across the Simpson but if we have a trailer I gather that it is not a great idea and is not recommended. Hopefully will get some feedback on site about Lake Eyre at William Creek before we go.
FollowupID: 307586

Reply By: Lech - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 02:15

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 02:15
Hi,

there is a road from Marree to Goyder Channel. Highway driving. I was there in December last year. The road ends near the Channel, there is an information table about changes of the Lake over millenia. Nice yellow dunes all around. There is a private road on a causaway over the Channel (with a bar gate). Ask Muloorina Station owners for permission to use the road. I don´t know where it leads to. According to maps there should be a couple of tracks leading to bores.
AnswerID: 45520

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 10:39

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 10:39
Sounds like you thought it was worth going there. I am sure if there was water there it would be like a freeway with everyone wanting to have a sticky beak at it.2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
FollowupID: 307601

Follow Up By: Lech - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 19:45

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 19:45
Definitely worth going. The area was bone dry north and south to the horizon. It would have to be really very wet for water to get to Goyder Channel.
FollowupID: 307664

Reply By: Mixo - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 14:37

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 14:37
You can see LE south right at the "edge" from the Ood track, just east of Marree on the way to W Creek. The Muloorina track might be good too as far as "viewing" goes - far as I know, nobody wants you to try and get in from the east - no recognised tracks that pastoralists would be happy for you to travel on. Anyway, for mine its not worth driving too far because everything is so flat and your "viewing" will not be any better than the previous mention of LE South. Makes sense that you have to fly over, to appreciate the place....at the edge you just see a bit of mud, some salt and a white horizon - your impression may be a disappointment from the ground.....that's why there is a boom in flight services from towns all over the region.....Coober....W Creek, Marree....Oodn etc. BV....all into it.The car, the boat, the camper, the radios - is that all there is to life ?
AnswerID: 45550

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 18:42

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 18:42
Just might have to save up for a flight. Two adults and three kids - sounds like it might be a little pricey but ...... it would be a pity to miss seeing it.
FollowupID: 307651

Reply By: Vince NSW - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 15:39

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 15:39
Andrew & Jen.
If you can, take the trip from Maree to Muloorina Station (60 km) and on to Lake Eyre another 34km. There is great camping on the side of a large billabong at Muloorina with a donation to RFDS. The billabong is formed from a Bore overflow and has Heaps of birdlife. Well worth the trip
Vince
AnswerID: 45556

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 18:53

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 18:53
Thanks Vince - water is always great to camp next to and sounds worth a visit.
FollowupID: 307655

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 16:50

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 16:50
Andrew & Jen, before you all get too excited, it may be the only way to get a good look is to fly over it, particularly if the only water going in is from the Diamantina - you can do this from Marree or William Creek. You can leave your trailer here and puddle around in the Desert or do a double crossing but 2 weeks is a bit short to do all you want to see. Diamantina Lakes going to be brilliant this year - oh boy I can taste the fish now, that could be a week on its own. Don't forget about Kalamurina up past Cowarie Station on the Birdsville Track, right on the banks of the river. You will just have to do several trips this year.
AnswerID: 45567

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 18:58

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 18:58
Might do a flight from Maree as William Creek is a bit off our route. Would like to see stuff the 'wet stuff' - like Diamantina Lakes - and will have to come back and see the dry stuff. Floods like you are having are not that frequent I gather and it is unlikely that I will get the chance after a flood again - just lucky that nobody at work was going away for Easter so I snapped it up.
Several trips this year - September we are going to Corner country for three weeks with friends and we have no idea of an itinerary for that yet. That about does me for the year!
Thanks for the advice.
FollowupID: 307658

Reply By: GOB member vic - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 17:05

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 17:05
good day andrew & jen
if you are looking for a nice camping spot after you leave willems there is a ghost town between lyndhurst and marree Farina it has flushing toilets and donkey engine hot water camp area under red gums and just a lovely area. as for lake eyre we should have done a plane flight over the area .hopefully we will only be a couple of months behind you and this time will take a flight over l/e

ps was it you who said they werte from warrandyte (i am an old warrandyte boy )
pps will see you at wandin i hope .
steve imagine a 03 gu 4.2tdin the picture
as i am having trouble sizing the picture
AnswerID: 45570

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 19:02

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 19:02
See you at Wandin Steve - we are from Warrandyte, yep.
Will keep that spot in mind when I do our itinerary.
FollowupID: 307660

Reply By: Crackles - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 21:48

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 21:48
Andrew & Jen
The best views of Lake Eyre are by boat down the Warburton river. When the river flows take your flat bottom tinny 200 KM down stream from Kalamurina station and as you stand at the edge of the lake you can be assured that more people have stood on top of Mt Everest than seen the view from there. The bird life is unbelievable too. Even if the boat trip is a bit daunting the drive into Kalamurina is worth it. The water from the Diamantina may have reached there by April and the river is not unlike the Cooper creek at Innamincka.
Craig.............................
AnswerID: 45612

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 22:14

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 22:14
I can't see myself doing the boat trip though I would love to do it. Have done the Red Cross Murray River Marathon a couple of times and have enjoyed the Murray. However, I think I might have to wait for another flood to do that - maybe leave the kids at home. Will do the drive into Kalamurina.2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
FollowupID: 307696

Sponsored Links