Trigg hitch // ride levellers

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 18, 2013 at 09:11
ThreadID: 102818 Views:2977 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
All

A while ago on this forum I made some enquiries into a suitable small dirt road caravan for the Hilux. Well have bought ourselves a second hand Jayco Freedom 15'. Geez it's warm compared to the camper trailer!
Took a trip back to my home town for a holiday, drove and bought ourselves a Ranger. Nice. So we are now set.
The query I have is that the van has a Trigg hitch and I was wondering if you can put load levellers with it? The Ranger has the standard Ford bar attached.

Over to you.

Cheers

Greg

Ps I will change the photo shortly.
Tomorrow is here!

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: NTVRX - Tuesday, Jun 18, 2013 at 10:40

Tuesday, Jun 18, 2013 at 10:40
I went into this topic a short time ago & in particular the Al-Ko product (Off road hitch) apparently the same rules apply to most off road hitches & that is,you can use the WDH (Level rider bars) but not on off road conditions where there is rough surface undulating.....I know yours is not an Al-Ko but I saw a posting from a lady who is a frequent poster on other forums and she & hubby have been using an Al-Ko off road with WDH bars for two years although NOT on rough roads. I believe Al_-Ko have changed their views on off road hitches & load leveller useage. I have just fitted a Hitchmaster off road hitch to my 22 foot van so I can open rear door on our Pajero. I have always used WDH & still happy with results. Happy trails. Rob
AnswerID: 513311

Follow Up By: toffytrailertrash - Tuesday, Jun 18, 2013 at 10:44

Tuesday, Jun 18, 2013 at 10:44
Definitely not when off-road. Even the Gall Boys have found this out in one of their dvds when they forgot to take them off, the result...one snapped tow bar..

Cheers

Merv
FollowupID: 792004

Follow Up By: Keir & Marg - Tuesday, Jun 18, 2013 at 17:14

Tuesday, Jun 18, 2013 at 17:14
We have a Jayco Penguin Outback with a Trigg hitch, and use a HR WDH on the Pajero. Have left the WDH on when towing on smooth dirt, eg out to Lake Mungo last year, but would definitely take the WDH off for the rough stuff.
FollowupID: 792018

Reply By: tonysmc - Tuesday, Jun 18, 2013 at 22:09

Tuesday, Jun 18, 2013 at 22:09
Hi Greg,
I don’t want to hijack the thread, however I also have a Hilux (2010) and I’m about to purchase a 15 ‘ Jayco freedom myself. Did you find it ok to tow with the hilux? I noticed you mentioned its warm, I hope not too warm for the top end?
I’m doing some long trips with the family now, so I was looking at camper trailers and noticed most were selling to upgrade to a van, so I thought I would skip the middle step and go straight to a van. As you had the exact set up I will have shortly, any good or bad points would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 513351

Follow Up By: Member - Greg H (NT) - Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 20:08

Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 20:08
Tony.

Had the camper trailer then straight to the pop top like what you are looking at.
The caravan is warm compared to the canvas in winter! Ours has an A/C with it but as yet have not tried it. Should be ok.
The Hilux I had was an '03 model turbo diesel which did the job but there is a big difference to the Ranger.
Get a porti potti, 12 volt shower and quick erect tent (and master it) and it should all be good.

Greg
Tomorrow is here!

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 792190

Sponsored Links