Barrington Tops with a Trailer?

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 22:09
ThreadID: 10282 Views:3148 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, am planning a family camping trip in March that includes Barrington Tops.

However, never having been there I'm not sure how easy/hard it'll be with an off road trailer and what decent camp sites there are? I've been told that Devil's lookout is a good place to stay. I'll be coming up from Stockton (guess why!)

Any advice much appreciated!

Cheers, Juma
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 22:26

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 22:26
Have you got a trailer yet? If you haven't look at Track trailers they will go anywhere!
AnswerID: 45488

Reply By: Neil - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 23:09

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 23:09
Hi J
We have been up there a number of times, its a beautiful place to visit and so close to you guys, there are a number of campsites and that time of year you would have your pic on some pretty good spots, get up there early with your maps, and drive, you will find somethimg that tickles the the trailers tyres. We didnt have a trailer all the times that weve been up there but you shouldnt have any problems, just make sure your brakes are ok because its a bit of a climb to the top at approx 1600m and coming back down really gives the breaks a work out in some areas, sometimes gets a bit cold at night so take some wooleys.
We now own a camper trailer and will return to this beautiful country with it with out hesitation.
Happy travels
Neil
AnswerID: 45502

Reply By: Kimbo - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 01:54

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 01:54
Hi Juma
you will not have any problems with a campertrailer up in the Barringtons
Make sure to check up on the dilgry circle and Keep your eye out for a sign saying "THE ROCK" as this is a must see and is only a 50 mtre walk from the car parking area there are some good camps round on the dilgry circle road as well as on the main road across the tops.
A good camping area is Polblue up on the tops just make sure you have some warm clothes as the weather can change dramatically

Regards
Kimbo
AnswerID: 45519

Follow Up By: jackablue - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 08:47

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 08:47
I agree, don't miss "THE ROCK". See what you can make of it.

I've camped at Digry campsite, nice little spot. We took some wood with us at easter last year, as alot of the wood around stay wet for some time. We had a raging warm fire, while others just had smoldering sparks.

Cheers

Jackablue
FollowupID: 307598

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 17:22

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 17:22
Is Digry accessable by 2wd as we also are giong in March but a virgin camper coming with us only has 2wd, if not can you sugest any sites we can get a 2wd into, camp then look around in the PatrolRegards Bob
Where to next
FollowupID: 307640

Follow Up By: Kimbo - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 18:35

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 18:35
Hi Bob
You wont have any problems getting across the tops in a 2wd car Dilgry circle is also Ok for 2wd but be carefull if wet as it could be a little slippery on a few of the corners.Road will be closed if snow is present but I cant see this being a problem at the moment
Most of the campsites are user friendly so have a good time and enjoy the experience.
Campsites along the way to look for are manning river camping area and dilgry camp area which are on the dilgry circle rd other camps are on on the main rd across the tops are also good Polblue being the largest if you go thru the dingo gate be aware that this rd is very steep but should be Ok if you are carefull
Regards
Kimbo
FollowupID: 307650

Reply By: brumlm - Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 14:36

Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 14:36
Hi all, thanks for the great responses - will let you know how I go on the trip.

The full itinery (plus the odd overnight stop) is:
Brisbane
Dubbo
Abercrombie Caves
Stockton
Barrington Tops
Hat Head NP
Bundjalung NP

Should be great!

AnswerID: 45698

Sponsored Links