Condensation between swag and stretcher

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 18, 2013 at 17:48
ThreadID: 102825 Views:8037 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hey folks,

Searched back a number of years before posting as couldn't find any discussion on what I am experiencing.

I have a Burke and Wills swag and use it on a King Goanna quilted stretcher.

I sleep toasty warm inside and well ventilated and have no issue with condensation inside, but when I flip my swag oven in the morning it is quite damp on both outside of swag and top of stretcher. Short of putting a plastic sheet in between to work outwhere its coming from, I am at a loss.

Any ideas, and no its nothing to do with alcohol :-)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 18, 2013 at 18:21

Tuesday, Jun 18, 2013 at 18:21
I suspect it is caused by body heat on the bottom of the swag interacting with the cold air underneath the stretcher.

The coldest night I have ever spent was trying to sleep on a stretcher inside a sleeping bag. Bad idea!

I place my swag directly on the ground. No issues at all with cold seeping up or condensation forming underneath.
I have a 50mm high density egg crate style mattress in the swag, and it provides good insulation and a comfortable surface to lay on.
I can't see the point of needing a stretcher underneath the swag, if it is a good quality one. It just creates a super cold area between the ground and what you are laying on.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 513335

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Tuesday, Jun 18, 2013 at 19:50

Tuesday, Jun 18, 2013 at 19:50
hi booty
I fully agree with bills comments sleep on the ground in your swag and there wont be any more problems as like bill said you havent got the big cold air space between your stretcher and the ground and also you sleep warmer
if you desire to sleep on a stretcher for some personel reason then have a look at this thread 102457 - 28/5/13 about moisture problems in roof top tents/mattresses which was discussed at length

when your searching for imfo I find it easier to use google and anything that is related will come up even if it was discussed on explor oz
and don't just relate your search to moisture problems under swags also include mattress's and tents rooftop tents etc that way you broaden the search basis and more imfo will come up
cheers
FollowupID: 792033

Reply By: mike g2 - Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 00:25

Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 00:25
Hi booty, agree with others- its condensation. if your trying to use stretcher for comfort, sleep on ground with ground (hard foam) mat or self inflating mat and a simple A frame plastic (tent style) sheet overhead( clear of you) . should improve things.
if stretcher is to keep clear of possible ground level creatures as well, these can be reduced by a variety of methods including repellents.
mg.
AnswerID: 513357

Reply By: Krooznalong - Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 13:23

Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 13:23
G'day booty
Must be the combination of materials involved.
We've slept in sleeping bags on self inflating mattresses on stretchers in Winter in desert country and didn't have that problem.
If you're in a tent, how about a small compuer fan to circulate the air under the stretcher?
Good luck finding a solution.
AnswerID: 513377

Reply By: booty - Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 08:39

Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 08:39
Hey folks,

Thanks for your replies and it makes sense about the cold air below the stretcher being heated and condensation forming.

I did read a out 8 thread son here, but they mostly dealt with condensation inside tents and presumably from body breath and sweat.

I much prefer to sleep on a stretcher for more comfort, not as far to get up in the morning (gettng old) plus it keeps you out of any dust or mud and I use a small lighweight shade off the front of the car over me to keep rain and dew off me.

I did try and post a pic of my little setup, but it says for paid members only.

Think I will put a piece of builders plastic between swag and stretcher to prevent the canvas from wicking moisture throught the stretcher and into the swags mattress.

Cheers again
AnswerID: 513435

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 08:51

Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 08:51
Hi Booty,

Sounds a comfy arrangement but I think if you use a piece of plastic under your mattress you will get moisture from inside building up in the mattress. Much of the moisture comes from you - it condenses once it hits something impervious or cold. Maybe try a piece of shadecloth so you dont have the mattress in direct contact with the canvas.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 792141

Follow Up By: booty - Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 08:55

Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 08:55
Thanks for the tip Val, I sleep very well ventilated and wake dry as can be in the swag in the morning even though I am a 'hot' sleeper.

I guess one night with an impervious membrane between the two will give a definite answer as to whats occurring.
FollowupID: 792142

Sponsored Links