Current Tennant Creek Situation

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 12:14
ThreadID: 102834 Views:2369 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I have searched EO and there aren't any [that I could find] recent posts on the state of Tennant Creek in terms of being a place to stop for a few nights.
I would welcome anyone's views that have been there lately as you do hear mixed reports.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Allan K (NT) - Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 14:24

Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 14:24
Hi garytee,
It is certainly possible to stay a few nights at Tennant. There is a caravan park and a couple of motels, nothing 5 star, but comfortable. There is a gold mining museum (Battery Hill), Kelly's Ranch for horse riding, and you'll get a fantastic paella at Fernanda's Restaurant, plus heaps of great county to explore.
Cheers, AllanK
AnswerID: 513379

Reply By: Member - peter C (VIC) - Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 14:50

Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 14:50
last year we stayed at the pebbles about 20km from tennant creek. there is a toilet there and we had a pleasant couple of days.this is a free camp area so you do need to be self contained
AnswerID: 513381

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 16:20

Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 16:20
Know what you are talking about, but not an issue at the Caravan Park on Pekoe Rd - nice enough place - has a pool and the grounds and facilities are quite ok - as mentioned, the mining museum a bit further down the road is well worth a tour. One of the local aboriginal blokes did a campfire talk in the tourist season (few years back - might still) - for a gold coin donation - that was good. Should be posts here (search) on that CP from a year or two back.
AnswerID: 513388

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 21:02

Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 21:02
Yes, the Tennant Creek Outback caravan park. Very quiet, large drive through sites set out in herring bone fashion. We had no problems with the town. A good day at Battery Hill Mining Centre too.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 792109

Reply By: mikehzz - Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 17:43

Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 17:43
We stayed in the caravan park on the highway a few years back and there were people yelling and screaming off in the distance for a lot of the night. It wasn't enough to keep us awake but you could hear it. I must say I didn't feel comfortable at all going to the ATM after dark because of people just lingering around close to it watching you. Having said that, we didn't actually have any problems.
AnswerID: 513397

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 14:38

Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 14:38
Did you search in the Places section of ExplorOz? I have added the link to the Tennant Creek Caravan Park listing from Places to the top of this post (which will send you an email to let you know I've done that too).

All of Australia is covered in terms of Places - just use the site menu at the top of the page (just under the scrolling pictures) and go to "Places". You can use this from your phone (mobile site) or from your desktop computer. Some Places (by name) will ahve a few entries - each one is dependent on what TYPE of place it is - so Tennant Creek the place, is on a different page to Tennant Creek caravan park etc. At the top of each Place page is a list of facilities/services there, and any businesses will links to their email, website, contact details etc. Travellers can add photos, and reviews about places they've been so be sure to read up in Places when you are planning trips to see what others have said or what information is there.

Hope this helps.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 513458

Reply By: Sandman - Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 18:59

Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 18:59
Hi ALL

Spent the June 2013 long weekend in Tennant Creek, my wife and I flew up from Alice Springs so she could be the town midwife for a few days.

Tennant Creek is fine, the biggest thing is the Indigenous are just a bunch of vocal folks. Takes time to get used to it.

Peko road caravan park is absolutely fine, I've stayed there a few times...quite safe.

Here are a few pointers as I recall.

1) Dont leave your car parked in a back street at night, its not going to end well especially if you look like a tourist. Mainstreet parking is absolutely fine.
2) Memo club is a great place to eat, very lit carpark, no issues in stopping there for dinner. Best of all, Coronas are $6 !!!!
3) Wok's UP in the mainstreet is a VERY good feed, once you step inside you could be in Newtown or Lygon st :-)
4) Top of town coffee shop on the northside, excellent coffee and cake.
5) Red rooster on nth side, quick and cheerful feed, definitely the place to fuel up (BP nthside). Tyre pressure gauge (only working pump in town) has a broken gauge, make sure you have your own to check pressure.
6) Mary Anne Dam nth of town is FANTASTIC, lots of shade and water in the dam, excellent to walk around. We walked there from town along the bike path, was just great but dont walk there from town in summer, you'll fry.
7) Fernando's restaurant at the old squash court, A plus for food
8) Tennant Creek foodland, not bad prices, some fruit there is cheaper than in Alice Springs !
9) Goldfields Hotel, good place to stop in for a cheap counter lunch though I'm not sure I'd go in there at night as it has a large "animal bar" out the back. We had a coffee there and played some pool, pretty darned good. There is a pub directly opposite Goldfields Hotel, personally I wouldn't go in, it was definitely on edge when we were there.
10) The graveyard south of town is interesting to walk through, some interesting reads.
11) Got to drop into the railway station, take your photo against the sign. Its only a small pen and locked up but fun none the less :-)
12) Little Pebbles, turn left nth opposite the Telegraph station. Personally its overated however VERY VERY popular with BIG caravans trying to get a free night. If I were the ranger I'd limit the size of vans as it gets ugly in a small camp/parking lot.
13) Telegraph station nth of town, go for a wander, great place.
14) Tennant wouldn't be the same without a stop 25km nth at 3ways. Wander around the place, have a beer or a coffee, take a photo, iconic place.
15) ATM is safe until dusk, probably wouldn't use it late at night unless you are there with a few bouncers.
16) Telstra 3G has great coverage in Tennant, good speeds. No 3g at 3ways...

We found and were told, the town is safe to walk up and down the main road until 10:00pm at night and then it turns a little messy. We never felt "unsafe", just walk in lit areas at night, don't freak out if the local next to you screams and smacks the other indigenous next to them, its just how it works up there. If you come across a fight, walk around them or a drunk on the footpath, step around them....

Dont be frightened of the place, we had 4 nights in town, would definitely go back..

Pete in Alice
AnswerID: 513742

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 19:31

Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 19:31
Gday Pete.....how long have you lived in Alice?
FollowupID: 792502

Follow Up By: Sandman - Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 20:27

Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 20:27
Hairy, 4.5 years now :-) Have seen the odd flow 5 times...not sure I'd consider myself a local yet :-)
FollowupID: 792510

Follow Up By: Member - garytee - Tuesday, Jul 16, 2013 at 21:13

Tuesday, Jul 16, 2013 at 21:13
G'day Pete,

I have meant to reply to your incredibly detailed and encouraging reply to my post.
It is the most detailed reply I have ever received and as a result - we will be staying in Tennant Creek on our trip.

Thank you so much for your accurate, encouraging and balanced reply.

Gary
FollowupID: 794053

Follow Up By: Sandman - Tuesday, Jul 16, 2013 at 21:28

Tuesday, Jul 16, 2013 at 21:28
Gary

No problems mate :-) its not as bad as some folks make out. Its really what you make of it. iconic place, every time I go to tennant creek I cant resist to go up to 3 ways. As a kid I always used to look at the map and wonder if I'll ever get there......Butthole of no where but what a place :-)

Cheers + safe travels

Pete
FollowupID: 794054

Sponsored Links