Where is the best place to watch the Finke Desert race from!

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 09:20
ThreadID: 102853 Views:10104 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,
Where would be the best place along the race track to watch the Finke Desert race from as I am planning to go next year for the first time, & a suggested route, leaving from Wagga Wagga, NSW, thanks, dingo
"the only thing constant in my life is change"

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Martin Gladwin - Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 13:39

Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 13:39
We camped roughly 30km from Finke towards Alice Springs this year.
Great flat camping spot, was open enough for multiple vehicles and trailers and was on a bit of a straight with a tightish corner of the race track.

We are from Adelaide so we did the Oodnadatta Track, then to Dalhousie Springs, Mt Dare and then onto Finke. Road from Hamilton to Dalhousie (Pedirka Track) is very rough but only real way in to Dalhousie if coming from the Oodnadatta. Also road from Finke to Alice Springs is very average. We passed a Land Rover that just 15 minutes before had an engine fire and stuffed it. A full fire extinguisher and 40L of water to put it out apparently.

Hope this helps abit.

PS: Take a fly mask!
AnswerID: 513454

Reply By: Member - nick b - Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 14:55

Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 14:55
aussiedingo : If you camp near/ north of Hugh river stock route you can get out to the Stuart hwy if you need , a nice drive through station country , after the race ends the old south rd / race track is very bizzy back to Alice . This spot is also very good for spectator's with small sand hill etc & also good for camping . The closer to Alice the more people camping :-( If your on FB Tatts finke desert race . will keep you up to date .

Have fun !!
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 513461

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 11:38

Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 11:38
Gday,
It all depends on what you call the best?
Do you like crowds or do you want to be on your own?
Fast sections or rough.....sandy or rocky?
Will you need to get out, or are happy to stay all weekend?
Do you take unregistered vehicles?
Give me a bit of an idea of what you are like and I might be able to help.

Cheers
AnswerID: 513582

Follow Up By: GREENDOG ! - Sunday, Jun 23, 2013 at 20:28

Sunday, Jun 23, 2013 at 20:28
G'day Hairy ,was thinking about going next year as well,we are from Adelaide ,we like to camp on our own in a good spot to see all ,don't like crowds ,like the fast sections ,staying all week end ,were would you recommend .cheers GREENDOG
FollowupID: 792420

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 16:48

Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 16:48
Gday Greendog,
Between Alice and Deep well (the first 65km) is the busiest area along the track. Its full of piss heads and party animals so generaly a good place to avoid. It does thin out as you get closer to Deep Well but still pretty populated.
Between Deep well and Rodinga is the road section. Its very fast and very dusty, so not an ideal place in my eyes either.
Alice creek has a few corners and a good camping spot but you would want to get in early to get a spot and even then you might be pulling up in someone's regular camp and get surrounded.
Anywhere South of Bundooma your starting to get into the sand country with less people less dust and more camping spots with a good view of the track.
Race camp at Finke is very crowded and noisy and there is no camping between there and the river.
A good spot is a couple of Km's North of the Finke River in the sand hills and even further North in the scrub.
My goggle earth isn't working at the moment , but if I can get it going Ill try and give you some cords of the sand hills.

Cheers
FollowupID: 792478

Follow Up By: GREENDOG ! - Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 14:31

Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 14:31
Thanks Hairy ,that would be great ,cheers for the info.
FollowupID: 792604

Sponsored Links