Kimberley Trip

Hello everyone,
Planning on doing a trip to the Kimberleys starting in July for roughly 6 weeks. Just going to swag the whole trip. Have done my research and have an idea of the things I want to see and do. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are about their best things about it. Little things like where is the best spot to stop for a few days or what is the best things to see and how long to spend at an attraction. Also what if anything to avoid? I find I get more out of peoples own experiences.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: i'machocoholic - Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 18:14

Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 18:14
Hi Matthew,

I think you will find the Kimberley very diverse, and there's just so much to see. You don't say exactly where you plan to be going - do you plan on spending most of your time around the towns or on the Gibb River Road? If you are trying to avoid crowds, there's heaps to see along the GRR if you're prepared.

The Kimberley is like my second home as I can't get enough of it. We've been up the past couple of seasons and are visiting again soon.

For some ideas of where we've visited, our blog is located here:

Grant and Linda

I love it all so find it difficult to pick individual spots. If you have any specific questions about places, please ask.

AnswerID: 513474

Follow Up By: Matthew C - Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 20:10

Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 20:10
Thanks Grant and Linda. Had a look at your blog and its really impressive with the way you have set it up and what you have seen and done. I plan on avoiding the crowds and would rather spend my time away from the towns. I was thinking about starting from Kununurra and travelling towards Derby taking in as much as I can along the way. Can you tell me if it would be easy to pull over anywhere and roll a swag out to camp or would it be better to stick to the campgrounds along the way?
FollowupID: 792191

Follow Up By: i'machocoholic - Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 20:24

Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 20:24
Travelling the Great Northern Highway, there are many spots to free camp - best to see the Camps Australia book. Only down side is that you will be sharing with many others.

Travelling the GRR - you must remember that the land on both sides of the road is all privately leased. Having said that, there are spots in a couple of the travel books that suggest camp sites. Although a few years ago, some got washed away during a big wet! Some of the stations have great facilities, but expect to pay around $20 per night. Power only available at Home Valley.

We have visited all available stations since my first trip in 1991, and if it was me, I would mix it up - some stations and some free camping. Having a spot to yourself, with a little fire and a million stars to gaze at from your swag....ahhh...I can't think of anything better! You'll have a blast!

Linda
FollowupID: 792199

Follow Up By: Matthew C - Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 21:00

Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 21:00
Thanks for all your info Linda. Much appreciated!
FollowupID: 792202

Reply By: Michaeljp - Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 19:34

Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 19:34
Matthew,
There is so much to see. But the best place to go is Mitchell falls. Thats my photo there using on the right hand side of your thread. Im going up there at the end on this month to see some rock art that Mick O gave me the GPS co ord's of at King Edward River. Then i'll be going up to Surveyors Pool for a day or two.
Just get a good Hema map or book on the Kimberley's and you'll have a great time.
This trip will be my 9th trip in 13 years to the Kimberley's. It just keeps on drawing you back there.
AnswerID: 513480

Follow Up By: Matthew C - Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 20:12

Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 20:12
Thanks for the reply. Wish I could say ive been there as many times as you. Is the King Edward River a good spot to stop for a day or two?
FollowupID: 792193

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 22:23

Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 22:23
We stayed a few days at the King Edward River Camp, including a day trip to Mitchell Falls, and spent another night there they on the way back from Kalumburu because we enjoyed it so much.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 792207

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 20:55

Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 20:55
Hi Matthew,

There is a heap of info already on this site if you use the search box in the top RH corner. eg there are over 100 blogs from a search on "Gibb River Road". We have done 2 Kimberley trips and have written blogs (2002 and 2008) about our time there. Its hard to single out any one place as there are so many wonderful places to see that are all different.

Have a wonderful trip,

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 513486

Follow Up By: Matthew C - Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 21:08

Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 21:08
Good on ya Val. Ill definitely read through them for some info. Cheers!!!
FollowupID: 792204

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 22:22

Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 22:22
Hi Matthew

The Gibb River Road trip was in my opinion the best of the best. You may like to check out My Blogs (2008). We were caravanning and spent over three weeks Derby to Kununurra seeing just the basics. There is so much more we could have seen.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 513490

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 19:08

Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 19:08
I'll second that! I had a great time in the Kimberley and enjoyed the trip along the Gibb. The real standout for me was Kalumburu and will go back there soon I hope but there is really so much choice and so little time.

Kind regards

PS hope all is well with you MH and the farm.
FollowupID: 792337

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Sunday, Jun 23, 2013 at 19:37

Sunday, Jun 23, 2013 at 19:37
I've got say The Kimberley was our best trip.

Kalumburu and McGowens Island were our highlights, Port Warrender (Walsh Point) were magic but then we had it to ourselves.

Exploring up to, and further up from, Pago Mission was great but the whole area is magic. The Cockburn Ranges look fake (but they aren't).

I enjoyed Wyndham and the Dampier Peninsula as well.

Wherever you go, make sure you take your time. It's not a place to rush. The distances are vast and some of the roads will possibly the worst you have travelled on.

Enjoy your trip,
Steve
FollowupID: 792409

Reply By: desray (WA - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 15:31

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 15:31
http://www.exploroz.com/Places/55901/WA/Galvans_Gorge.aspx
good spot to stop for a swim/ break ,only a kilometer of Gibb river road.
AnswerID: 513528

Follow Up By: Matthew C - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 15:48

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 15:48
Thanks mate. Ill make sure I check this out.
FollowupID: 792251

Sponsored Links