Insurance for mechanical breakdown

Submitted: Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 10:41
ThreadID: 102872 Views:4133 Replies:12 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
With a lot of common rail engines in use and there problems with bad fuel is there a insurance company out there who will cover this potential problem . Some people say the fuel suppler is responsible but I do not have enough money to fight them I am not talking about fuel from drums but from service stations
thanks
Feathery
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Michael O (NSW) - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 10:56

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 10:56
I had a maniacal breakdown once.

Personally I think a psychiatrist would be much more helpful than an insurance company........
AnswerID: 513508

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 11:47

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 11:47
Maybe a mistake in the spelling. Was that a "mechanical" breakdown? ie breaking down because something in the motor is broken? Is that what you meant?

If so then I think then you will be out of luck mate. Never heard of it. To take a bet that your car will not have a problem is a big chance for anyone to take, let along bet with someones else's money. ie the stock holders money in the case of an insurance company. ie My money. I wouldn't want them to take that bet. Sorry mate.

Phil
AnswerID: 513514

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 11:58

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 11:58
My neighbour got a bad tank of diesel in his V8 Land Cruiser from our local store, cost him around $4000.00, surprisingly his insurance company covered it all.

FollowupID: 792234

Follow Up By: garrycol - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 12:05

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 12:05
Most insurance companies will cover damage caused by poor fuel from garages.

FollowupID: 792235

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 12:41

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 12:41
I thought that he was talking about a breakdown due to something breaking. Not just a dirty fuel issue.

Aaaagh

Phil
FollowupID: 792237

Follow Up By: garrycol - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 13:06

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 13:06
That is the heading but the content of the post is about fuel contamination from garages.
FollowupID: 792238

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 13:52

Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 13:52
upon request, I have changed the title of the post.
ExplorOz

Business Member
My Profile  My Blog

FollowupID: 792466

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 15:30

Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 15:30
Bit of a chuckle.

Phil
FollowupID: 792471

Reply By: Member - ROADKING - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 12:29

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 12:29
I had a fuel contamination and was surprised to find that my comprehensive insurance covered it, now I have a V8 Ive doubled checked that Im covered
Regards Jim
AnswerID: 513516

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 17:40

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 17:40
Hi Jim
I am chasing that sort of cover – QBE, my current insurer doesn’t cover dirty fuel.
I would appreciate the name of your insurer
Thanks Dennis
FollowupID: 792257

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 17:49

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 17:49
Forgot to mention, my son copped dirty fuel at 76000ks in his Hilux and spent $5000 on repairs. Both Toyota and his insurance company Elders didn’t want to know about it.
FollowupID: 792259

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 20:30

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 20:30
Dennis, Did your son not confront the fuel station? They have public liability insurance for that reason, amongst others. Its a bit like taking your new car through an auto car wash only to find its taken the paint of the roof and bonnet and expecting the insurance company to pay. I always pay by a debit card and ask for a Tax invoice. I copped a tank of dirty fuel as mentioned above due to a tanker leaving as I pulled up at the bowser. The diesel tank was low and so the incoming fuel from the fuel tanker stirred up water and sludge in the underground tank. Fortunately I had a BP fuel card and so they had the details and the time I filled up so BP paid for the repairs and followed up to make sure I was happy! You normally have fuel problems a few km's down the road so if you can prove you filled up, to have a case to have it repaired at their cost. regards Michael.
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 792265

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 21:37

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 21:37
Hi Michael
It’s not that simple - proving where you get the dirty fuel is not that easy –an impossible task in a legal dispute.
He worked in Northwest WA and traveling around, fuelled at various service stations along the way.
He assumed he picked it up at his work place at Useless Loop near Sharks Bay in WA – another vehicle on that site had similar problems but others including me, using the same fuel when visiting; with a V8 diesel Troopy had no problems.
FollowupID: 792273

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 08:33

Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 08:33
Dennis, when you get a lot of bad fuel you usually don't get too far down the road before you start having problems. From my experience you may get 1 km before the problems begins. Just ignoring the problem without confronting the seller won't help bring the big problem of bad fuel to the surface and making the servos use their liability policy. A few claims on their policy will almost certainty bring their premiums up so that would be enough to ensure they get their act together. BP head office told me the main problem is lack of maintenance of their tanks and running the tanks down too low so it's stirred easily when filled and that makes sense. In NSW I think Fair Trading are finally growing some teeth and are happy to help the consumer with these kind if problems and its better to raise the fuel sellers premium than to affect your No Claim. Bonus. Regards Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 792287

Follow Up By: Kris and Kev - Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 12:34

Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 12:34
Dennis, I left QBE for that reason and went with AAMI. I sent an email to a few companies and I was amazed how many do not provide that cover or who say it is decided on a case by case basis. One said yes as long as you identify the service station. I replied this can be very difficult when travelling and on occasions you may be filling up each day. I am not saying AAMI are the best company, but this was their email reply,
Hi Kevin, Under our comprehensive policy we are able to cover for your vehicle for damages sustained from contaminated fuel.
But I hope I never have to find out how good they are at claims.
Kevin
FollowupID: 792307

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 13:49

Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 13:49
Thanks Kevin – I also contacted a number of insurance companies without satisfaction – I will try AAMI
FollowupID: 792312

Follow Up By: Member - iijmartin - Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 19:03

Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 19:03
I too have double checked with AAMI (my current insurer) and they say I am covered against contaminated fuel. I wonder if it is covered under accidental damage. But have not tested it as yet.
I also keep my fuel dockets on trips and certainly would confront the service station if I only got a few kms down the road.
FollowupID: 792335

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 06:42

Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 06:42
GIO will cover it.
FollowupID: 792442

Reply By: Ross M - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 13:13

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 13:13
feathery
If you want insurance fit a pre filtering system which warns and filters and dewaters the fuel,
The fuel usually isn't bad but it might be contaminated and suitable filtering will provide a realistic level of insurance against it worrying your engine.

Remember, you can't allow for everything in life though even maniacs.
AnswerID: 513521

Follow Up By: PeteS - Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 07:59

Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 07:59
Hi Ross,

Agree regarding adding a water separator/filter. One of the issues is that some of the contaminants picked up by unsuspecting travelers are other hydrocarbons and these usually don't get picked up in the filters.

When local I fill up at the same servo all the time and keep receipts. I have heard positive results from recovery of repair costs from fuel suppliers.

Cheers,
PeteS
FollowupID: 792285

Reply By: NTVRX - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 15:34

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 15:34
I recently filled up at a BP servo & was handed a pamphlet about fuel & what BP advise concerning their fuels. Basically as I understand it,if you experience problems using that companies fuel & you have you receipts they will cover all expenses. That IMHO was my understanding however I stand to be corrected. I am not affiliated with BP or any fuel company...etc....etc....etc. I have had an experience with a cheap/discounted fuel outlet with red,white & green signs (Grocery ownership) & had dirty fuel in main & sub tanks. I only use Mobil,Shell & BP now. Rob.
AnswerID: 513529

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 20:42

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 20:42
I have just covered this above, I had bad fuel from BP an they fixed it promptly and chased me up to see if I was happy and that was some years ago with my current Patrol. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 792267

Reply By: Mick O - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 15:45

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 15:45
I have heard from several reliable sources within the vehicle and service industries that the new Toyota V8 common rail diesels are having significant issues with injector deterioration due to “fuel contamination”. While Toyota say that the injectors should be replaced on the vehicle at 200K, many are not making it to half that. It is unfortunate that a manufacturer in most cases claims that the deterioration is or must be caused by contaminated fuel and yet ignore the simple fact that if this is the case, their filter system is inadequate to meet the demands of a vehicle that is made and marketed as suitable for “Australian” conditions.

As to the insurance element, I have a comprehensive policy through TCIS brokers in Adelaide. My policy covers damage caused by contaminated fuel providing that;
1. Contamination is accidental and unforseen (Hell that’s odd. It’s not like I’d by deliberately adding water to my fuel lol)
2. As soon as the issue becomes apparent, you stop driving (Duty of care to the vehicle). If you try to push on doing further damage, the insurer may reject the claim (Not good if you’re half way down the Canning but then recovery costs would be covered as well).
These provisions are up to the individual policy underwriters and may vary. If you want that type of cover, you should talk to a broker and make sure that you obtain a policy that covers all of the aspects you consider important.

Contaminated fuel is a major concern to me as I travel in remote areas. I always use a Mr Funnel when pouring fuel from drums or using outback bowsers and have fitted a good quality pre filter and alarmed water separator.

Another word to the wise, if by chance you arrive at an outback location at the same time as the monthly delivery of fuel, try and fill up before he drops 15K litres of diesel into the tanks stirring them up. More remote locations and community bowsers may not maintain the filtration systems as well as they should be. If the tanks have been recently disturbed, always best to use an appropriate filter like a Mr Funnel or wait for a few hours.

Cheers Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 513531

Follow Up By: garrycol - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 16:15

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 16:15
I went to fill up my CRD diesel at my local garage the other night and noticed the fuel truck there but not filling. I asked the asian guy behind the desk if the truck had just filled the tanks but he had no idea what I was talking about so I went and asked the truck driver.

He had just filled all tanks and I indicated that I would go elsewhere to get my fuel. He said I was silly as there would be no issues with refuelling to which I replied that was not the experience of others.

He mumbled something about that was nonsense and I indicated I would rather be nonsensical than being in excess of $10K out of pocket for a new TDV6 and in dispute with the owners of the garage.

I then left and went elsewhere. Better to be safe than sorry.
FollowupID: 792252

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 16:55

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 16:55
Recently in Esperance, SA, I went to fill up and there was a tanker filling up the diesel tank. I went over to him and asked him if it would be safe to fill up. He laughed and said he has heard the rumours and in his opinion it is all total bull. He said he has been driving tankers for a long time and repeated, it is not true. I asked the console operator and they said they have never had an issue with contaminated fuel.
But just to be on the safe side, I recently changed insurance companies because my old one did not cover for contaminated fuel. So make sure you check your policy.
And I think it is not just a landcrusiser 200 series problem. I have taken notice of a lot of different forums and everyone has a story about common rail diesel motors and damage from contamination. Maybe the 200 being a V8 is more costly to fix, that is why insurance cover is important. Kevin
AnswerID: 513536

Reply By: mikehzz - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 17:58

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 17:58
They are all dear to fix. My McManiac....err, I mean mechanic :-), is currently doing a Hyundai Terracan that was diagnosed dirty fuel with a $10,000 repair estimate. The insurance company is picking up the bill for the Hyundai. I don't know the company.
AnswerID: 513538

Reply By: KennyBWilson - Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 01:00

Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 01:00
I have heard RAA ins will cover you if you added unleaded to your diesel tank and drove it until it went bang
AnswerID: 513569

Reply By: hillbilly80 - Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 07:09

Saturday, Jun 22, 2013 at 07:09
As an aircraft maintenance engineer we regularly drain water from the aircraft fuel tanks, the tanks have drain points in them. If we have recently refuelled the tanks we wait a minimum of two hours before doing the water drains. Any earlier and the water is suspended within the fuel and it needs time to settle to the bottom. Its the same situation when a tanker refuels the servo. If the servo has just been refuelled, water and other gunk will be stirred up and suspended in the fuel and you will pump it straight into your fuel tank. It needs time to settle.
AnswerID: 513572

Reply By: ExplorOz - Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 13:53

Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 13:53
upon request, I have just corrected the typo in the title of the thread from "maniacal" to "mechanical".
ExplorOz

Business Member
My Profile  My Blog

AnswerID: 513721

Reply By: Member - ROADKING - Tuesday, Jun 25, 2013 at 07:50

Tuesday, Jun 25, 2013 at 07:50
Hi Dennis I am Insured with RACQ
Regards Jim
AnswerID: 513773

Sponsored Links