Isatphone Pro calling emergency numbers update

Not sure if this has been posted yet, sorry if it has. But just came across this on the AST Australia web site

From 1 July 2013 it will be possible to access emergency calling from your IsatPhone Pro.

This facility will enable an IsatPhone Pro registered on any of the I4-satellite beams covering Australia and Australian territorial waters (up to 200nm), to dial either '000' or '112' and be routed through to the local Australian emergency call centre. The user will not need to make any adjustments to their phones, the service introduction is wholly network-related.

The only requisite is that the phone needs to be operating with firmware 5.3.0, which was released in February 2013.

The emergency calling service is available on Inmarsat's handheld phones only, and is not extended to include non-handheld Inmarsat products such as BGAN or maritime products.

Chris

Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

Back Expand Un-Read 3 Moderator

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 23, 2013 at 14:08

Sunday, Jun 23, 2013 at 14:08
Well that is a bonus.

But I will wait for the notice to come from them in an update email. Not saying it's a furphy. Just not jumping as yet.

Thanks

Phil
AnswerID: 513639

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jun 23, 2013 at 15:14

Sunday, Jun 23, 2013 at 15:14
Hi Chris

Thanks for that, and I know that there are going to be some big changes with the restructure here in Australia, with the '000' the first of many needed and improved features.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 513645

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 23, 2013 at 17:17

Sunday, Jun 23, 2013 at 17:17
I just received this from my supplier:

It is supposed to be true. They are trying for the 1st July deadline that the Govt gave them... hopefully it is going to be true... but I will wait until the 1st July to make any announcements for it (i.e. once it is actually running). I have heard that they were testing... but that was the last I heard...

Phil
AnswerID: 513662

Reply By: Sigmund - Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 14:01

Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 14:01
That's good news, thanks for posting.

I would say though that when outback 000 may be less than useful; if they'll accept coords they'll have to locate the local coppers as Mr Plod manages rescues. So I carry police numbers anyway. Also as a last resort AMSA will help you out as will RFDS.
AnswerID: 513723

Sponsored Links