best route newman to kalgoorlie?

Hi everyone
I'm about to start travelling this route and don't know much about the area at all. Which would be a more interesting/scenic way to go -
1/. take the dirt road across to Wiluna from the Great Northern
2. take the dirt across to Wiluna from Meekatharra
3. take the dirt south-east from Meekatharra to Sanstone and then go east to Leinster before joining the Goldfields Highway
4. take the bitumen all the way to Mt Magnet, then east to Leinster (much longer but easier driving on the bitumen).
We are pulling an offroad camper trailer, and travelling with kids. We want to be in Kalgoorlie in a couple of days so not too much time for detours. Happy to stay in hotels/motels along the way rather than camping in the cold if anyone has any recommendations.
Would love advice from those who know the region!
cheers
Carolyn
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: 08crd - Sunday, Jun 23, 2013 at 15:45

Sunday, Jun 23, 2013 at 15:45
I'd go 3 or 4, Sandstone is more interesting than Wiluna and Cue also is an interesting place.

Plenty of places to camp on the road, if you have a dog, take care around Sandstone aerial baiting is carried out.

If you have a bit of time the museum at Gwalia is worth dropping in for a look.
AnswerID: 513650

Reply By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Sunday, Jun 23, 2013 at 16:48

Sunday, Jun 23, 2013 at 16:48
If you take the Sandstone route, check out Lake Ballard.Well worth a look and an overnight stop.
AnswerID: 513659

Follow Up By: 08crd - Sunday, Jun 23, 2013 at 20:30

Sunday, Jun 23, 2013 at 20:30
I agree with Phill, I know time is limited, however if you stay at Sandstone(great pub meal).
Sandstone to Kal is 500k's, which doesn't leave a lot of time for sight seeing.
You could probably squeeze in Gwalia, Koonkynie, Niagra Dam and Lake Ballard. Then stay at Lake Ballard
(Going from Mezies to Lake Ballard and back to Menzies adds 100k's).

Then move on to Ora Banda, Broad Arrow, Kalgoorlie only about 160k's so you should be in Kal mid morning on the third day.
FollowupID: 792421

Reply By: jacent - Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 08:15

Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 08:15
Mate go from Newman to kumarina roadhouse just past Capricorn roadhouse, turn left onto Ned's creek road and that is 200 km to Wiluna but cuts off 200km that you would have to do if you went via meeka, then go Wiluna to Leinster, Leinster to kal
AnswerID: 513699

Follow Up By: auzinomad - Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 10:08

Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 10:08
Good route ......... but don't get fuel at Kumarina.
When I was there a few of weeks ago most of their fuel sales were $20, just enough to get you to where it wouldn't cost you an arm and a leg.
Luckily I was warned about their grossly inflated fuel costs.

Ron
FollowupID: 792455

Sponsored Links