Double swags: sharing with kids?

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 23, 2013 at 22:11
ThreadID: 102915 Views:4169 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I've just got back from a trip to the darling river and gundabooka national park with the kids.

We were sleeping in our 2 room dome tent, which is a great setup when you stay in the same place for multiple nights. But for touring when you're travelling every day, it took too long to pack and setup each day. It drove me mad on this trip.

So I'm looking at alternatives and am thinking about getting a king dome swag from southern cross:

http://www.southerncrosscanvas.com.au/swags/dome-swags/

These swags are massive at 154cm wide (the largest i can find). And I think would be big enough for me, jack (7) and Anna (4). Yep, 3 of us in the same swag.

Has anyone tried this with success?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: cookie1 - Sunday, Jun 23, 2013 at 22:19

Sunday, Jun 23, 2013 at 22:19
My son & I shared a King Single Swag for a couple of years, it was cramped but we both slept well and it is good for body heat. He now has his own that he got for his Birthday last year and loves it

cheers
AnswerID: 513684

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 16:14

Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 16:14
Interesting! I notice the specs for the double enclosed swag and the double dome are the same width (128cm) but the dome is actually 5cm lower in height. If comparing those two, I would have chosen the enclosed swag because it appears to be more straight sided hence more internal room. However, the King dome you are looking at much indeed incredibly larger at 90cm high, and 156cm wide that is basically a tent!

In my experience, we have had to bring the little kids into our double swag (AOS) on a few nights and its turned into an absolute disaster with kicking legs, coughing, and disruptions when others need to get out to pee etc. If you feel that you can tolerate this when you're tired in the dark, and maybe rain better than a bit of extra hassle packing/setting up then go for it.

Dare I ask how much it is though? Have you looked at the OzTent? We use one, usually in combination with our swags (2 swags inside for kids, us under the awning in our doubleswag). They call it the 30sec tent, which it is to get it freestanding and able to put stuff/people into it. Take more to finish the setup if you want to peg it out (not always necessary as it has internal frame) or zip on extra panels, pole out the awning. It has internal frames so it has to be carried on a roof rack but it means its not in the way if you're not using it. It offers us the flexibility and best of both worlds of tenting and swagging.

Hope whatever choice works out for you all.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 513728

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 20:02

Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 20:02
When we were in your situation we used a two bow dome tent, they are light and easy to set up, but you need to look for the simple 2 bow types
I recently bought a large swag which is more of a tent that may be of interest, it is 2.4 long x 1.550 wide which was the attraction for me.
I was hesitant to buy it because it was from Roos system that is part of 4WD action and thought it would be cheap and nasty but I only got that half right, it was cheap but the quality was excellent
AnswerID: 513747

Reply By: yagon - Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 21:42

Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 21:42
Thanks for all the feedback. Lots to think about.

155cm is the same width as a queen sized bed.

At this stage, I'm thinking the massive swag for jack and Anna (would be plenty of room). Plus a "normal" sized swag for me. That would be quick and easy to setup, plus I think everyone would get a good night's sleep.
AnswerID: 513756

Follow Up By: yagon - Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 14:31

Tuesday, Jul 02, 2013 at 14:31
I had a look at some double swags on the weekend and I don't think I'd fit the 3 of us. Nothing beats seeing them in real life.

As per my post above, I'll look at 1 double swag for the kids and a single swag for me.
FollowupID: 793029

Sponsored Links