Suppressed Blogs why?

Submitted: Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 14:46
ThreadID: 102929 Views:2497 Replies:4 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I enjoy reading the various blogs during my lunch break. It beggers belief that we have 2 current blogs that have been suppressed. Why in heavens name would you submit a blog and then suppress it?
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 15:01

Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 15:01
Over the years and more recently I have had a number of members asking for this feature so that they can publish data to selected people and not the masses. So if they provide you access you can read it. Simply I guess they want to put up more private data than they want all to read. It is simply a choice when the blogs are written. I was not sure really why but I had seen enough request for more control over data privacy and so it was installed.

As stated it is a members choice to use it or not.
David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 513725

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 18:57

Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 18:57
Thanks David. I read your blogged posts about the E tracking, but couldn't se the sense in people going to all the trouble of writing the blog and then restricting access to it on a forum such as this. As you say each to their own.
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 792498

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 18:52

Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 18:52
Hi Duncan

One new feature that is now fantastic is to be able to work on a new blog and it is not live until you tick the box. I have been caught out a number of time when uploading a new blog and photos, only to have the site go down for maintenance.

I have been slowly working away over the last couple of days on a new blog and it should be ready tonight....well hope.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 513741

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 18:54

Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 18:54
Good I need something new to read, plenty of pictures I hope?

Cheers

D
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 792497

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 20:46

Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 20:46
Hi Duncan

I have just made it live now.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 792513

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 19:42

Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 19:42
I see one advantage with not letting anyone see it. Some people may want to compile their blogs while they away from their home. Why tell everyone it is vacant.

We never do until we are back home. Two neighbours were burgled last week just up the road.

Phil
AnswerID: 513745

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 19:54

Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 19:54
Agree Phil, its one reason why we now do our blogs after we have come home. And there is more time then to do them properly. But I can see the point of a locked blog so family and friends can be informed of travel progress without letting the whole world know of your movements.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 792504

Follow Up By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 25, 2013 at 16:37

Tuesday, Jun 25, 2013 at 16:37
I don't see the point of posting a blog for only a few people to read.

I do a blog for my family and friends but send it via email as each section is finished with photos.

I then join all the emails into one document when I get back. It is mainly for my benefit to have a record of each trip complete with pics so I can reference them later.

This is the easiest method if you want to restrict access.

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 792555

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 15:35

Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 15:35
Unless you put your name & address on the blog, how would the burglars know who you were etc?

FollowupID: 792614

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 17:08

Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 17:08
It's just a matter of gathering information. A few examples.

Look at bbuzz above. Nice looking car and the young bloke up the road innocently says on FB that he saw them driving off on another expidition into the outback and puts a photo of it on FB. A crook in the area has "friended" the "young bloke up the road". This crook also knows where the car resides and that the house is now empty. Simple!

On one of my profile photos I had the car's number plate legible. I say in the blog that we are in Whoop Whoop. A crook, by paying a wayward official, can get hold of my address and bingo!

Some come from others seeing a car at Howsyafather Creek and mentioning the number plate in their blog.

And then we have Google who scans FB and public blogs and picks it up and the crook up the road has been waiting to read your blog.

And NO you lot!!! I did not do this for a living but I did see how innocent pieces of information when collected together can provide quite a good "story".

Phil
FollowupID: 792616

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 17:57

Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 17:57
Shaker,

It will vary from one person to another, but depending on your on-line profile, with google, face recognition software, some imagination and technical know how etc, a lot could be learned even staying within legal limits. As Phil has said, throw in a bit of underhand stuff and who knows what can be discovered.

I think David has done well to provide a feature that has been requested.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 792617

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jun 25, 2013 at 23:36

Tuesday, Jun 25, 2013 at 23:36
While some people restrict their blogs to family and friends, there are plenty of freeblog sites to use. EO has made yet another opportunity for these people. With security not being an issue, I do talk about where we are going on forum, but time prevents me from doing blogs whilst on the road. Family and friends get mini trip report emails along the way. My blogs and website travelogues are done as a resource for fellow travellers and I put a lot of time into research and accuracy after I get home. I hope readers and travellers will get as much enjoyment out of the places we visit as I do.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 513808

Sponsored Links