Roadside camps on North West Coastal Hwy

Submitted: Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 18:18
ThreadID: 102933 Views:3234 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone confirm if there is a roadside camp at a place called "Yalobia" or maybe "Yalabia"? I can see it listed on the Mainroads website by name as a rest area with a dump point, and we think we recall it was a place with tracks leading out the back where one could scrap up an overnight camp but the waypoint is not in Places so if it's real I'd like to get the lat/long positions for it please so I can put it into Places. It is apparently 51km south of Minilya, and I can find a Place in our system called "Yalobia Outstation" and could assume this is the site of the rest area. Can anyone confirm please and would love a pic too. Here is Yalobia Outstation in Places.

Also, can anyone add some pics to Edaggee Rest Area (WA) - North West Coastal Hwy? thanks
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 18:44

Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 18:44
While your on that subject...........Oakabella rest area on the NWCH has been closed down permanently. I noticed you still have it listed under places.

Cheers
AnswerID: 513740

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 20:36

Monday, Jun 24, 2013 at 20:36
Also, can anyone tell me about the status of Boologooro as a station stay? Tried ringing no answer. Not much comes up in a web search except for a push bike rider that stopped there but I note he didn't have any comments about his stay there. It is listed in the Hema Atlas but I cannot find a website, not information about what's offered, what prices etc. I will try to call again tomorrow but if anyone has first hand info about the camping setup please let us know.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 513748

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jun 25, 2013 at 23:28

Tuesday, Jun 25, 2013 at 23:28
Hi Michelle, although it has been a while, I recall a few rest areas on that stretch with toilets very close to the highway. I did not notice tracks out the back of these but we were not looking to camp at the time. I have no idea where my notes are now. Yalabia is not a 24 hours stop, most of those enable you to get a little away from the highway.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 513807

Reply By: GimmeeIsolation - Saturday, Jun 29, 2013 at 01:05

Saturday, Jun 29, 2013 at 01:05
Heaps of gravel pits a bit back from the highway all over the north west, some are noted on gps maps or you just slow down to 80 or so enabling a sight up the track a bit then do a u turn instead of slamming on the skids.
Don't drive too slow because people who have been driving for hours at 110 or more do not realise you are so slow and you could cop it up the behind as fatigue is a problem for many, especially if you are not from up there.
Much more peaceful and heaps less "paper streamers" left from pigs in gravel pits.
I have nearly 250 such places from traveling across the top of Oz over the years marked on the gps.
A lot you will find hard to get in to if you are towing a caravan and if it rains and you have not picked the correct type of pit you could be having a character building exercise getting back out.
There are certain places to avoid too, like near camps where people get blind drunk and drive with the car packed full of mates back to where they live at night.
I prefer setting up where your lights cannot be seen from the highway.
So much better waking up after a full nights sleep (away from the trucks at night) and having a cuppa in peace in the early hours of the morning watching the wildlife.
That's living.
AnswerID: 513961

Sponsored Links